Tell me I should walk away from this one...

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
The plane has other "warning signs" as well, but nice paint and decent avionics! :D

O-300D engine with about 600 hours on it.
lQQKwGm.jpg

Yeah, blurry engines never run well.

Run away from that one. Unless you want a 20K financial surprise!

How long ago was it overhauled? Based on the pic it appears its sat awhile. I can tell you on my IO-360 it was overhauled in 1997, didn't look nearly as bad as your pic and the entire insides were rusted. If it's sat, you better pull a cylinder and look up in there.

Its not blurry, the engine is fuzzy...

Hard to tell. Do you have a larger photo?

Give us the full story on the aircraft,hard to tell from one picture.

lol.... there's quite a story.
Flipped in 2000. Rebuilt in 2005 with a new tail, wings repaired. Documented well.
Engine from another 172 with ~400 hours on it. Has 200 hours since.
I haven't been able to find any info on the plane the engine came from. No NTSB report for it.

Owner has lost his medical, and it's been sitting for at least a year.

I was telling this story to my wife last night, and she said "up your price limit and look at something else." I'm thinking she's right. No way to know the status of the engine without having a pre-buy tear into it. And the price isn't low enough to make it tempting.

Wife also said we should just get a Mooney since they're faster than 172s...

[snip]
I was telling this story to my wife last night, and she said "up your price limit and look at something else." I'm thinking she's right. No way to know the status of the engine without having a pre-buy tear into it. And the price isn't low enough to make it tempting.

You should marry that woman! Oh, wait...

Looks like a project. Do you wanna fly or spend money on something that might fly? Keep shopping.

I can't tell if it's any good by just looking at a larger than life picture of the outside. It may or may not be indicative of what's on the inside. If the engine was pickled and sat, it can be perfect with just replacing a couple hundred dollars in seals. I have seen plenty of engines in operation look worse on the outside and be fine on the inside. Some of the rental fleet engines here in Florida look like that and are fine.

So, it could be an indicator to run or not, if you want me to tell you to run, Run. I would put the odds on run since pilots are cheap and it wasn't likely pickled properly. More information is required for better advice than that.

Last edited:
BTW, someone needs to wash that engine with air conditioner coil cleaner.

lol.... there's quite a story.
Flipped in 2000. Rebuilt in 2005 with a new tail, wings repaired. Documented well.
Engine from another 172 with ~400 hours on it. Has 200 hours since.
I haven't been able to find any info on the plane the engine came from. No NTSB report for it.

Owner has lost his medical, and it's been sitting for at least a year.

Your wife is right. However, what is the price on the 172? It may not be junk, what is the plane like overall? The engine can be detailed and look like new in an afternoon for about $300. If that engine looks like that because it was sitting in a hangar in TX for a few years it might be ok. If it can be bought right, 172s can still be turned for a profit with the application of a little time and effort.

Its priced right in the middle of all the other 172s of the same year and hours that I can find. I'll see what the owner would be willing to do if the engine needs work before completely dismissing it. Thanks.

This could really be exciting! Especially if you finance it and are on a limited budget. Something to shake your boredom! like expensive smells in the cockpit during flight, ( like something's burning, electrical smells!) engine running rough just after takeoff, which will really perk you up! Or.....maybe quitting! Could be an exciting investment for sure. Only you can judge!

Its priced right in the middle of all the other 172s of the same year and hours that I can find. I'll see what the owner would be willing to do if the engine needs work before completely dismissing it. Thanks.

Remember, this one takes a full scope due diligence inspection.

This could really be exciting! Especially if you finance it and are on a limited budget. Something to shake your boredom! like expensive smells in the cockpit during flight, ( like something's burning, electrical smells!) engine running rough just after takeoff, which will really perk you up! Or.....maybe quitting! Could be an exciting investment for sure. Only you can judge!

I do have a no money down home equity loan to buy it.. what could go wrong? :dunno:

Oh,no worries.....it's a Florida plane. They all look like that there.:D:goofy:

Oh,no worries.....it's a Florida plane. They all look like that there.:D:goofy:

That is sadly true.:rofl: If it's actually in Florida I could take a peek at it and let you know if it's worth pursuing an engine inspection or not.

Last edited:
Corrosion on the out side doesn't mean anything on how well it runs or how long it will run.

You yourself know the answer to this question, so why did you ask it? The only function of asking is to talk yourself into something you are uncomfortable about, and why would one ever do that?

That picture indicates nothing. Just like a woman, it's what's on the inside that really counts.

Back