tell me about your elt

what you got

• Total voters

hotprops

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
hotprops
ok I will go first, old 121.5 and 406 plb . ragwing so no place for antenna. so a 406 elt is not really a good option. I have some opinions and am sure most of you do . will post soon with some thoughts.

Can't an elt antenna be internal in a cloth airplane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I thought this was going to be about my extra long torso. Imagine my disappointment when...

Old school 121.5. Because if it wasn't something that needed money thrown at, it wouldn't be installed on my plane.

Can't an elt antenna be internal in a cloth airplane?

I have installed a significant number of 406's, 10 or a dozen anyway, mostly Artexes and a few of the others. The installation manuals want that antenna on top of the aft fuselage. Framework around it causes problems like reflected signal, and the ELT's self-test will snag it. Even in one certifed composite aircraft where the manufacturer had installed the antenna inside the tailcone in a tight spot where the antenna was bent over some to fit in there, the self-test wasn't happy because it was getting a reflected signal off something. I had to fool with the antenna, pushing it around some and taping in place to get the thing satisfied.

There's no sense in putting in an expensive thing like this and then burying the antenna where the satellites might not get a good signal. On the fabric airplanes we've done, it's a relatively simple matter to make an aluminum mounting plate to sit between the top fuselage tubes, with a flat surface against the inside of the fabric, to mount the antenna.

Mounting of the ELT itself is more of a pain. The instructions are clear: It cannot be mounted on the old 11.5 ELT's skin-mounted plate. It has to be attached to primary structure to avoid vibrations that can cause false triggering, or no triggering at all if the skin folds suddenly before the ELT has experienced enough G force. To meet the TSO requirement, the ELT can't move more than .10 inch with a 100-pound load on it in any direction. That's pretty stiff. And yet I often find 406's just attached to the old skin plate or to a floppy baggage shelf or something. More wasted time and money on something that might not work. ELTs are only helpful about half the time anyway, and poor installations just cut that further.

It's orange, kinda heavy. Weighs the tail down a bit. I see it every couple of years when it gets replaced, and I've never heard it. Is that helpful?

Tube and fabric planes can mount the ELT inside the aft airframe. They work fine. I still prefer mine forward of the vertical fin.

Artex ME406 for about 10 years. No GPS hookup. The new Exp gets an ACK E-04 connected to my GPS.

121.5 onboard and a 406 GPS enabled EPIRB

406 ELT with GPS position plus a 406/GPS PLB.

First of all, whoever wrote this survey got it a bit wrong. There is NO SUCH THING as a 121.5 ELT only. It was designed to broadcast on 121.5 and the second harmonic (x2) of 121.5, 243.0 so that it was on the military panic frequency along with the civilian.

Second, whatever company suggested that it be mounted on any one surface of the aircraft or another never considered how the airframe would wind up in a condition that the antenna would be in an optimum transmit position in a real crash. Metal airplane, PROBABLY on top. Plastic airplane, your wild a$$ guess. And, if the airplane survived with the antennas on top, the survivors would PROBABLY be in a position to radio for help themselves. So, in either case, it matters NOT what orientation your ELT antenna is in if you REALLY need it to lead the dogs to your body.

Jim

so jim what should i have called it so our members would have better understood?? i can still edit

WEIRDjim thanks for your advice. I think all member's understood my question . perfect display name you got there.

WEIRDjim thanks for your advice. I think all member's understood my question . perfect display name you got there.

I did NOT understand it, that's why I wrote what I did.

By the way, I could probably put a dozen antennas for ELT/COM/NAV inside your rag airplane without breaking a sweat.

Thanks ... I think.

:cheerswine:

Jim

I have a ACK 406 in the plane and carry a PLB as well. Not one of the options.

I have an ACR ME406 in my Grumman Tiger. Not happy with the ELT or the manufacturer.

The ELT activated while sitting in a locked hangar, received a call from the Air Force within minutes of activation. Sent to the Manufacturer for repair and $500 later received my ELT back with a new G switch installed.

Three weeks later another false activation while in the hangar, and a call from the Air Force. Called ACR and they said to replace the cockpit mounted switch, only another $125. I asked them about the G switch they imstalled by mistake the first time around and they said "too bad, at least we know the G switch works".

Not happy with their product support and warranty. Going back to 121.5 looks attractive. Thinking about selling the thing on ebay with the new switch.

I have an old Narco 121.5 ELT, just got the OK from the wife to purchase an ACK E-04. The purchase has a contingent, I've got to get ride of the Beech A-23 fuselage in the back yard I have been stripping parts from first. Told her the A-23 would be there 3 months well 2 years later it's still there... My bad...She is a good sport, but winter is just around the corner, fix the truck, scrap the fuselage and my ACK E-04 is in the mail...:)

406 ELT. Spidertracks. Iridium phone. Inreach. All are standard stuff for me.

Last edited:
I have an ACR ME406 in my Grumman Tiger. Not happy with the ELT or the manufacturer.

The ELT activated while sitting in a locked hangar, received a call from the Air Force within minutes of activation. Sent to the Manufacturer for repair and $500 later received my ELT back with a new G switch installed.

Three weeks later another false activation while in the hangar, and a call from the Air Force. Called ACR and they said to replace the cockpit mounted switch, only another $125. I asked them about the G switch they imstalled by mistake the first time around and they said "too bad, at least we know the G switch works".

Not happy with their product support and warranty. Going back to 121.5 looks attractive. Thinking about selling the thing on ebay with the new switch.

A bad or intermittent ground at the panel switch can activate an ME406 beacon.

Back