Tell me about W-670s.....

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
So, one of the planes I am currently looking at was originally designed for a Continental W-670 (225 hp) and fixed or ground adjustable prop. In recent years, the current owner STC'd it for a W-670-23 (240 hp) and CS prop. Current engine is mid-time (5-600 hrs SMOH). Seller is offering it with or without a complete spare engine (0 SMOH) in the crate and the price difference reflects the cost of the engine.

If I buy this airplane I will own it through at least one overhaul/engine change.

Now, the one issue with the -23 that I have been told by both the owner and some other folks in the type club is that it can be hard to find some parts, pistons in particular. The owner did say that he has collected some spare pistons for it and will sell those to me if I choose not to take the full spare.

Anyone familiar with W-670's care to comment?

Am I better off spending the money now for the spare (basically an extra 25k), or taking my chances with parts at overhaul time (also knowing that i can revert back to the 225 HP W-670 if necessary)?

I like spare parts
You like spare parts onhand or the availability of spare parts?

In other words - let the engine run out and change to a better supported engine or take the complete assembled collection of spare parts?

I like parts on hand.

I'm browsing salvage yards for a 470U off and on.

As I understand, Air Repair in Cleveland, Mississippi just acquired the type certificate for the W-670 series. I would suggest that a call to them at 662-846-0228 would be in order.

As I understand, Air Repair in Cleveland, Mississippi just acquired the type certificate for the W-670 series. I would suggest that a call to them at 662-846-0228 would be in order.
Ah, excellent.....I've worked with them before on 170 stuff. Thanks Greg!

Back