Tell me about the Maxair Drifter

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
Interested in one of these that was posted on Barnstormers a while back but there doesn't seem to be much information about them online. I tried looking at the homebuilt and ultralight forums too but couldn't find much.

How are they to fly? Any problems aside from the tailboom corrosion if they're flown in the salt? Is there a difference between the new "super" drifter and a normal drifter aside from hanging a 912 rotax on it? If it has been converted to full-lotus floats can you put the normal gear back on it easily? The original drifter seems like it had a max gross weight of 900#, is there an increase or a modification for the float equipped planes? What is the max gross for them? I don't know much about wire braced planes, is there a good rule of thumb for years/hours to replace them? What's the cost on something like that?

One was based at my home field for some time back when "Fat", 2 seat ultralights were still tolerated.

The local ultralight training guru (who flew pretty much every ultralight you could think of) described it as a nice flying airplane that was a treacherous, ground looping, SOB on the ground. I never heard him disparage any other type, so...

Back