Tell me about a hot air balloon ride

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
I would like to hear some stories about going up in a hot air balloon. I've never been in one, and I have a song that I'm working on that I need a little inspiration for. Feel free to wax poetic about it....I'm looking for lyrical ideas.
Thanks
DW

I wrote a poem in high school about ballooning and won 1st place in a poetry contest with it. I will have to see if I can scrounge it up. If not give me a few days & I will make one up.

deafsound said:
I would like to hear some stories about going up in a hot air balloon. I've never been in one, and I have a song that I'm working on that I need a little inspiration for. Feel free to wax poetic about it....I'm looking for lyrical ideas.
Thanks
DW

Depending on the type of song you are writing, I may be able to help. My one and only trip (a gift to my 73 year old mother who was with) started in 5kt winds and ended in 20kt winds 1/2 mile from lake michigan when the pilot, after trying to land for the past 45 minutes ran out of good options and picked a small field/large yard, dragged the basket through the top of a tree to slow us down, then, dumped the air out of the balloon 5 feet off the ground and clunked us in (I would consider it a crash). Naturally, we tipped over and were dragged about 20 feet or so. The landing was so bad that one neighbor called 911 and a passerby (who was an EMT in training) in a jeep drove through a culvert and over this lawn to assist us. Mostly no injuries other than my $800 camera, a Nikon owned by another passenger and various small cuts, bruises and contusions. Everyone was checked and released by the ambulance once it arrived. It was two great hours ruined by 3 minutes of mayhem. Don't think either of us will ever go back up again. So, if the song is a long sonata ending in "Flight of the Bumblebee", I may be able to help.

Up up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon! POP Hisssssssssss Splat. That could be the chorus Dave.

The song is pretty placid, for what it's worth. So tell me about a view that you saw that you wouldn't normally notice in an airplane, or a thought you had, or a sound you heard or the person you were flying with, either the balloon pilot or a romantic interest or your child. Feel free to describe the color of the balloon.
And of course, I'd love to read the poem Flygirl, either the old one or anything you feel like making up.
Thanks you guys. This is fun stuff for me. I've been writing a bunch of music lately, perhaps for my very own album, and a lot of the tunes have aviation references in them, but this one is going to be very specific.

AdamZ said:
Up up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon! POP Hisssssssssss Splat. That could be the chorus Dave.

Ahhh....the 5th Dimension. Haven't thought about that song in ages. What a drag it is getting ooold...

Pjsmith said:
Depending on the type of song you are writing, I may be able to help. My one and only trip (a gift to my 73 year old mother who was with) started in 5kt winds and ended in 20kt winds 1/2 mile from lake michigan when the pilot, after trying to land for the past 45 minutes ran out of good options and picked a small field/large yard, dragged the basket through the top of a tree to slow us down, then, dumped the air out of the balloon 5 feet off the ground and clunked us in (I would consider it a crash). Naturally, we tipped over and were dragged about 20 feet or so. The landing was so bad that one neighbor called 911 and a passerby (who was an EMT in training) in a jeep drove through a culvert and over this lawn to assist us. Mostly no injuries other than my $800 camera, a Nikon owned by another passenger and various small cuts, bruises and contusions. Everyone was checked and released by the ambulance once it arrived. It was two great hours ruined by 3 minutes of mayhem. Don't think either of us will ever go back up again. So, if the song is a long sonata ending in "Flight of the Bumblebee", I may be able to help.

I know this is no laughing matter, but I giggled when I read the ending. guess serene and peaceful doesn't cut it then!

Back