tell future employer?

U

Unregistered

If a pilot has a blown tire on a runway and it closes the runway (controlled field) how should that be discussed in an interview? I had to write a very brief description of the events but it sounded like the FAA was only concerned if I had the tire blow due to excess speed and running out of runway. Is this something that I should even be concerned with ?

I presume you're talking about a job as a pilot. Regardless, the rules of any interview apply

You should not bring it up, but don't hide it either. If they ask about any incidents that you have had, then you have to tell them. Have an honest explanation of what you remember, why you think it happened, what you learned from it. Remember, these records are relatively open and there's a chance they already know and asking to see what you'll do.

For example, were you going too fast for the runway? Did you learn that speed control on final is absolute? You don't even have to accept responsibility for it if you don't think it was you - maybe a bad tire and your memory says you were on speed, but you can still learn from it.

I'd rather have someone who made a mistake and learned from it than never learned.

I know for fact that I was on speed. I strictly remember tower telling an RJ " Expedite to taxiway XX, traffic is short final" I was going the short field approach speed because traffic was still on the runway and I didn't want to arrive at the numbers any sooner than necessary.

Not to worry ,unless they ask,had a nose wheel bearing go ,causing flat tire,airport manager in his wisdom,called it a gear collapse. Tough to explain ,so you never know.

I know for fact that I was on speed. I strictly remember tower telling an RJ " Expedite to taxiway XX, traffic is short final" I was going the short field approach speed because traffic was still on the runway and I didn't want to arrive at the numbers any sooner than necessary.
Then why DID it happen? Not asking for your answer here, just saying you ought to know if there was anything you could have done differently which would have changed the outcome or anything you learned from the incident, and have that in your hip pocket on the off-chance they ask about it. And if the answer is "No, it was an unforeseeable material failure of the tire," that should work just fine.

I have a good idea as to why it happened but my answer looks like I am placing all the blame elsewhere. A lot of it lies with me but there are 2 other factors that are aircraft related and I wouldn't know how in depth to go in fear of looking like I am making invalid excuses.

Was it reported anywhere? Request your full airmans records from the Feds, if it ain't there it didn't happen as far as a interview is concerned.

Was it reported anywhere? Request your full airmans records from the Feds, if it ain't there it didn't happen as far as a interview is concerned.
Lying to a prospective employer is probably the best way there is to ensure you do not get the job. And there are a lot of places other than one's FAA airman records where one's involvement in an aircraft damage incident might be recorded and discovered by a prospective employer.

I have a good idea as to why it happened but my answer looks like I am placing all the blame elsewhere. A lot of it lies with me but there are 2 other factors that are aircraft related and I wouldn't know how in depth to go in fear of looking like I am making invalid excuses.
Fear not -- employers value honesty. Just truthfully answer whatever question they happen to ask without giving them more answer than the question asks, or answering questions they did not ask.

Lying to a prospective employer is probably the best way there is to ensure you do not get the job. And there are a lot of places other than one's FAA airman records where one's involvement in an aircraft damage incident might be recorded and discovered by a prospective employer.

I had a old elementary school teacher, big black lady from New Orlns and god help you if you call it New OrlEEns :eek:

She used to say "now boy don't get diarrhea of the mouth"

I once had a tire go flat on taxi, held up some 121 planes taxing out, now is there any ACCESSIBLE record of it, highly doubt it, no info at the FAA on it, and I don't mention it, little different but same idea.

I wouldn't bring it up.

But if it does come up, don't be defensive. In new business relationships, whether customers, vendors or employees I listen for two phrases. I want to hear "I don't know." and I want to hear "I screwed up." I don't want to hear them too often, but everyone has things they don't know and everyone screws up once in a while.

When I have heard them both, my conclusion is that this is a person I can probably trust.

If a pilot has a blown tire on a runway and it closes the runway (controlled field) how should that be discussed in an interview? I had to write a very brief description of the events but it sounded like the FAA was only concerned if I had the tire blow due to excess speed and running out of runway. Is this something that I should even be concerned with ?

I wouldn't mention it. Now, if they specifically ask about it, you owe them the truth... "The time I closed a runway due to a blowout. I think <fill in the blank> caused it." Then you're done unless "fill in the blank" was "pilot incompetence".

I had a old elementary school teacher, big black lady from New Orlns and god help you if you call it New OrlEEns :eek:

She used to say "now boy don't get diarrhea of the mouth"

I once had a tire go flat on taxi, held up some 121 planes taxing out, now is there any ACCESSIBLE record of it, highly doubt it, no info at the FAA on it, and I don't mention it, little different but same idea.
If you don't understand the difference between answering a question truthfully and "diarrhea of the mouth", there's no point continuing a dialog with you on this issue.

I wouldn't bring it up.

But if it does come up, don't be defensive. In new business relationships, whether customers, vendors or employees I listen for two phrases. I want to hear "I don't know." and I want to hear "I screwed up." I don't want to hear them too often, but everyone has things they don't know and everyone screws up once in a while.

When I have heard them both, my conclusion is that this is a person I can probably trust.

:yeahthat:

If you don't understand the difference between answering a question truthfully and "diarrhea of the mouth", there's no point continuing a dialog with you on this issue.

So yeah, unless they say "hey, so what was up with that blown tire you had" don't talk about it, and I'd betcha $1 that ain't going to come up, thus the answer is... don't tell them about it.

Remind me Ron, you're a working 121/135/91K pilot right?

So yeah, unless they say "hey, so what was up with that blown tire you had" don't talk about it, and I'd betcha $1 that ain't going to come up, thus the answer is... don't tell them about it.
James can spin it any way he wants, but the answer is still "Don't volunteer it, but if asked, answer simply and truthfully."

Remind me Ron, you're a working 121/135/91K pilot right?
Not any more.

I think is they ask you about any incidents and you tell them your story, I don't think they'll care in the least bit. If anything, they know they've got someone that's honest. Believe me, honesty still goes a long ways today.

When I got hired in my current job, I didn't realize that I was required to inform my employer about past failed checkrides. A few months after getting hired, I emailed my hiring manager about a failed private chekride almost 20 yrs prior. While she appreciated the honesty, she pretty much just laughed. They really didn't care. Anything that didn't come back in a PRIA / AIE report didn't matter.

If your qualifications and your interview is solid, a lousy blown tire won't matter in getting hired.

James can spin it any way he wants, but the answer is still "Don't volunteer it, but if asked, answer simply and truthfully."

And my point which remains constant is they ain't going to know if it's not in the PRIA, it would be like them asking

"So Bob, what was up back when you were a PPL and were preflighting thst 172 and forgot to sump the far right sump"

They aren't going to know, you're living in some paranoid fantasy world if you think they are going to know about something not on record, not in the PRIA, just ain't the way the world works.

But yeah, if the HR lady looks at your tea leaves, conjures up a spirit and glances at her crystal ball, and asks "what was up with that blown tire" obviously be honest, but also understand that you must be working for a mind reader and beware their Jedi mind tricks :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bring it up.

I like that. It's been my experience that applicants who have all the answers during the interview are often worthless on the job.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back