Television Advice

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Moving into a new larger apartment and decided I'm going to make it a bit better than my previous one. One of the items on my list is a nice television (better than the 27" CRT that we'll be squinting at from across the room).

HD isn't necessary, Xbox 360 and Wii will be hooked up to it, will be watching a lot of movies and a fair amount of cable on it...

Looking to spend no more than 1000$ and get best bang for the buck. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Go to avsforum.com and learn just how picky people can get about their TVs.

Go to avsforum.com and learn just how picky people can get about their TVs.

Yeah, but I also know how picky pilots can be about their planes, and I trust you all more than other random people online ;)

You may think you don't need HDTV, but you do need digital tuner (at least "EDTV") unless you want to have to depend or cable or satellite. Analog broadcast TV has a 2 year death warrant hanging over its head.

Sharp AQUOS or Panasonic or JVC LCD or plasma. Your $1000 will go far at Costco, although 50+" are in the $1400-$1500 range.

34" 16x9 CRT TVs are the best and are under $1000, but you'd have to deal with 150-200 lbs of television.

Try to get 1920x1080 1080p resolution.

Mine works again fine, it was just a logic glitch which repaired itself when I removed and re-applied power. Still, a $500.00 lamp is sobering.

Wm, I would not buy a non-digital set now, and think the best price/value point now is in the 37"-42" LCD marketplace. Bes ure you get one with an ATSC tuner built in.

A few notes...

William, make sure whatever you get presents a good picture from Fox News. You shouldn't be watching that other stuff with your young mind. :D

When I was looking at TVs, I was determined to get a flat screen. I've had a Sony 27" Triniton I've owned since 1992. It still has a great picture and the only problem it ever had was a solder joint loosen. But, it weighs a ton. For this reason, stay away from anything larger re a CRT. I also wanted a lower profile along the wall. For these reasons a flat screen was a given.

I looked at several brands. Sony was out as too much of the price was for the name regardless of the high quality. In the end, I settled on Sharp as they have the highest resolution and in every example in numerous showrooms, the picture was consistently the best.

I went with a 45" Sharp Aquos LC-45GD6U. Sadly, for what I paid two years ago can now buy a 52".

Your budget of a grand puts you in a 32" range but for the available Sharps you'd have to spend a bit more. I'm using Beach Audo as I bought an HP Media Center computer from them earlier this year for a very decent price.

Sharp Lc32d62u 32" Aquos Lcd Tv $1142

But, for $300 more you can go with a 37"...

Sharp Lc37gp1u 37" Aquos Lcd $1455

Both are 1920x1080. I sincerely recommend the Sharps for any LCD. Just look for the best price from whatever source.

For wall mounting, look online for a company called "Mounts & More." I paid half there for the same mount available at retail stores.

I hope I was some help here, at least with recommending Fox News. :D

A few notes...

William, make sure whatever you get presents a good picture from Fox News. You shouldn't be watching that other stuff with your young mind. :D

When I was looking at TVs, I was determined to get a flat screen. I've had a Sony 27" Triniton I've owned since 1992. It still has a great picture and the only problem it ever had was a solder joint loosen. But, it weighs a ton. For this reason, stay away from anything larger re a CRT. I also wanted a lower profile along the wall. For these reasons a flat screen was a given.

I looked at several brands. Sony was out as too much of the price was for the name regardless of the high quality. In the end, I settled on Sharp as they have the highest resolution and in every example in numerous showrooms, the picture was consistently the best.

I went with a 45" Sharp Aquos LC-45GD6U. Sadly, for what I paid two years ago can now buy a 52".

Your budget of a grand puts you in a 32" range but for the available Sharps you'd have to spend a bit more. I'm using Beach Audo as I bought an HP Media Center computer from them earlier this year for a very decent price.

Sharp Lc32d62u 32" Aquos Lcd Tv $1142

But, for $300 more you can go with a 37"...

Sharp Lc37gp1u 37" Aquos Lcd $1455

Both are 1920x1080. I sincerely recommend the Sharps for any LCD. Just look for the best price from whatever source.

For wall mounting, look online for a company called "Mounts & More." I paid half there for the same mount available at retail stores.

I hope I was some help here, at least with recommending Fox News. :D

Sharp's have horrible issues with banding (vertical shading issues). Read avsforum.com for more, but each of their last three model cycles (starting with the 62u) have had issues.

Know what RCA stands for? ? ? ? Really Crappy Appliance! You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get :yes:

Just two weeks ago I purchased the Sony 60" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear Projection HDTV. The picture is so bright and vibrant that it's unbelievable. I know that it's over your budget but they make a 50" for just under $2000 :). If you can't afford that, then get the cheapest thing that you can find because they really are all disposable anyway now days.

Last edited:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4956156#Specifications

This 37" LCD tv has gotten some very good reviews. It has a digital tuner built in and 1 HDMI input, 2 Component inputs, 4 composite inputs, and 2 SVGA inputs. A DVI input would be nice but both the Wii and the XBox 360 use component inputs and your satellite or cable box should use the HDMI (verify this). LCD's are a lot less suceptable to burn (this can be important when running (the same) games for very long peroids)in than a plasma and have a greater viewing angle and brighter than a rear projection (DLP).

Television advice from rob:

Take the "just under 1000 dollars" and take an aerobatics course.

:cheerswine:

Moving into a new larger apartment and decided I'm going to make it a bit better than my previous one. One of the items on my list is a nice television (better than the 27" CRT that we'll be squinting at from across the room).

HD isn't necessary, Xbox 360 and Wii will be hooked up to it, will be watching a lot of movies and a fair amount of cable on it...

Looking to spend no more than 1000$ and get best bang for the buck. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Kill your television.

Know what RCA stands for? ? ? ? Really Crappy Appliance! You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get :yes:

Just two weeks ago I purchased the Sony 60" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear Projection HDTV. The picture is so bright and vibrant that it's unbelievable. I know that it's over your budget but they make a 50" for just under $2000 :). If you can't afford that, then get the cheapest thing that you can find because they really are all disposable anyway now days.

My grandfather has the same Sony Grand WEGA... his colors are off though and no clue why. On cable, everything has a magenta tinge to it (deep greens look teal) and on the DVD player, everything has a yellow/green tinge to it. Someone said possibly crossed cables, but I've checked over the cables (which are numbered) and they seem to be in the right places. Pretty odd stuff.

If you have the room the HD projection TVs at 1080p are significantly cheaper than the flat screen versions. I partial to the Sony brand. I'm still looking but thought I was going to be a buyer when my family room TV fritz out for awhile. Just like someone else posted, power off/power on fixed it right up.

Back