Telescopes (NA)

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
I'm in the market for a good telescope. Budget +/- $1000. I think I'd like one with the computer star finder feature, just for ease of use. Any stargazers out there have advice?

Basic stargazing, planet watching, that sort of thing. I'd like to get something decent, easy to use, durable, good for family use.

Last edited:
I purchased my first telescope this past March, and will say that there are many options to consider, some of which you've alluded to here. I'll share some of my thoughts when researching, and a couple of links that may help.

Basics to consider will be the scope itself, and the mount it's on:
1 - what kind of scope? 3 basic flavors here: refractors (classic long telescope shape, light passes through glass lens to focus the image), reflectors (similar in shape to refractors, light is focused using a mirror), and catadioptrics (generally shorter than the first two, use a combination of lenses and mirrors to fold the light and form an image). You'll hear variants on each of these, each has pros and cons.

2 - what kind of mount? Differences mostly have to do with what types of coordinates you'll be using to direct the scope around the sky. You'll hear of the Alt-Az (altitude-azimuth) mount, German Equitorial mount, and variants on each of these. There are computerized star finder versions (aka Go To scopes) of both of these mount types out nowadays, shouldn't have a problem finding them. The key is that the mount should be sturdy. Telescopes and mounts can be purchased separately; for a first scope, I'd recommend purchasing them as a package; you know the mount and scope are well paired for each other, and can sometimes get a good discount over buying them separately.

When buying, I considered the following options:

- ease of use - I wanted something that I could use some features on relatively quickly (from a learning curve standpoint), but that would allow me to grow and learn about the more advanced features over time.

- GoTo feature - Good thing to have on hand, especially to get you started seeing something relatively quickly, keep from getting frustrated. I'm working on getting used to finding my way around the sky without it, but has been very useful to have in the meantime.

- what I wanted to see - it's very difficult, nigh on impossible, to find one scope that's perfect for viewing all types of objects: planets, close in stars, DSOs (deep space objects), nebulae, etc. So, I compromised with something that did relatively well at most of them - not as good with the deep space objects, but given the light conditions of living in the suburbs (streetlights, etc.), it rarely gets dark enough to get a real good look at those from the back yard. But, if you can get to some dark skies, it does well. Which brings me to one of my main considerations:

- Portability. Think about whether you're able to set up the scope permanently in a location, or if you'll need to move it around. If setup is too much of a hassle because the scope's too big and bulky, you won't use it regardless of how good the optics are. I don't have a permanent location that's sheltered, so I selected a model that's somewhat 'portable' (i.e., I can move it out to and in from the deck myself) (portable in the astronomy world is a relative term, by the way), the scope lenses and mirrors can handle the rumbles of being in the trunk of a vehicle for driving to distant locations without being far out of alignment once I arrive, and the absolute must in portability for me: can, after removing the main scope from its mount, be packed into a Cessna 182 :)

My price point was similar to yours. After much research, I selected the Celestron C6-S GT Schmidt Cassegrain telescope (a catadioptric), with XLT coating. Had a good combination of the features and qualities I needed, a mount that could be used with larger scopes later on if I went that route, and something that would also be good with astrophotography (another potential future upgrade). You can always get additional eyepieces, fancy finder scopes, etc. over time, but I started with the basic scope and mount, a power pack (the mounts on those GoTo motors generally aren't powered by batteries, so you've got AC or a DC battery pack/car battery as your options there; didn't like the idea of wearing out my car battery in a remote location after a night of seeing), and a very basic variety of Celestron eyepieces. I've been very happy with it for the time I've been able to use it; hard part is that good evening seeing conditions also make for good flying conditions many times - decisions, decisions.....

Anyway, here's a couple of links that may help as you begin your research:

Telescopes 101 - http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/telescopes101article.cfm . While this is where I purchased my scope from, it's not meant as an ad to buy from them, so much as they've created a very good set of reference articles to get you started. Even it you don't read them all, the first one (how to select your first telescope) is worth the read for getting your hands around basic terminology, et al.

Cloudy Nights Forums:
www.cloudynights.com
A good community of astronomers, with some very informative and active forums (look just under the header on the main page). There's a forum area for beginners, and the 'what type of telescope should I purchase' is a very common question. I didn't consider the family factor into my decision, but this may be a place to ask some very well informed stargazers about their experiences in addressing this; I'd assume that children's ages will be important there.

Many will be out watching for the quadrantids meteor shower tonight, so you may find quite a few folks up and about on the site.

One last thing: while telescopes are very cool, don't underestimate the usefulness of a good pair of binoculars. In addition to helping you initially find your way around the sky (your field of view is wider than a telescope, although not as detailed), there are times when you'll want to see something quickly, and not able to set up the telescope in time; always a good 'grab n' go' option. The Cloudy nights forums has a binocular section as well, can get good tips on what to look for there.

Long winded, but hope this helps!

Leslie

Uh... what she said. :D A nice primer, there. Especially the binoculars comments- for a stargazer on a budget or without much space, a good pair of binocs on a tripod opens up an amazing world.
I've dipped my toe into amateur astronomy... have an old 114 mmx 1m catadioptric, and it's a decent all-rounder. I highly recommend something like it- a reflector, but not a huge (diameter) one. Because the light is "folded" inside (that is, it bounces twice before hitting the eyepiece mirror), it's only about 500mm long, but provides the power of a 1m focal length. And because it's a decent diameter, it gathers a lot of light for more distant stuff ("Longer=stronger; wider=brighter" is the rule). You can see the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter with it, as well as the brighter Messier objects, etc. For Moon-gazing, it's superb with a blue filter.

'Course, now that I'm back in Newark, it doesn't get much use. Dark skies are a big help, obviously.

Only real advice I'll add is to not dismiss the notion of learning how to find these objects "by hand"- setting up an equatorial mount by eye using Polaris and latitude, then slewing according to the tables, is challenging, but so very satisfying when you succeed. It's a lot like the learning the basic piloting skills, especially navigation. Rewarding work.
My Tasco has a nice EQ mount with vernier controls, but no computer and no motor, not even a clock motor to keep it in sync with the Earth's rotation (you have to follow by hand).
But even if you get a GPS-enabled computerized "roboscope" (which is great for sharing the stars with kids, who might get bored waiting for you to slew by hand), you can still practice this by not using the "go to" feature. Not for everybody, but for me it adds a thrill that's worth the work. Good for exercising the ol' noodle, too.

As long as you're not interested in astrophotography, you're not going to be disappointed with a good 8-10 inch Dobsonian mounted reflector. Extremely easy to set up and use, and very satisfying views of all but the deepest of deep space objects.

Oh, and you'll plenty left over for a good star atlas and a pair of binoculars.

For further orientation, I like this application (it's free): http://www.stellarium.org/

It turns your monitor into a virtual planetarium so you can learn the stars and constellations and get a feel for where to look for what when you set up the scope.

Wow, great feedback everyone. Thanks. I'll keep you posted...

Really look at the binocular option. Beginning stargazers tend to over buy when looking at telescopes and end up not enjoying the activity. Starting with binoculars will help you as they are easy to use, show you much more of the sky which will help you find things, and are usueful for other things. Also get yourself a Norton star atlas, it is the the main book of finding things, just as Dr. Eleanor Arroway ;)

Here's my biased pitch:

Take that money and build yourself something even bigger. A reflector with a Dobsonian mount can be easily built in a couple weekends with stuff you order online (primary and secondary mirror, secondary mirror holder, eye piece focuser, and eyepeice) and at the hardware store (sonotube, plywood, teflon, paint, nuts, and bolts).

If your serious about learning the sky, then the GoTo feature takes all the fun out of it. Plus all that equipment gets bulky. A dob splits into 2 parts... a tube and a mount, travels easier. Quick to assemble and quick to disassemble (late at night when you are dead tired or when that sudden storm rows in).

I think $1000 would give you a good 6" SCT with GoTo and tracking. Nice yes. On the other hand, I could build a 10" or 12" dob with that. More aperature means viewing dimmer objects. Just tossing out ideas.

Then again, everything I have is a home brew. Including the primary mirrors (not recommended unless you have alot of free time and patience, buy the primary mirror instead).

And it all started with a pair of binoculars first, learning the sky 25 years ago, and building up from there.

Last edited:
Here's my biased pitch:

Take that money and build yourself something even bigger. A reflector with a Dobsonian mount can be easily built in a couple weekends with stuff you order online (primary and secondary mirror, secondary mirror holder, eye piece focuser, and eyepeice) and at the hardware store (sonotube, plywood, teflon, paint, nuts, and bolts).

Suggestion for where to buy good plans and supplies?

EDIT: Found this online, for free... what do you think? http://pages.sbcglobal.net/raycash/manualv2.pdf

Last edited:
Suggestion for where to buy good plans and supplies?

EDIT: Found this online, for free... what do you think? http://pages.sbcglobal.net/raycash/manualv2.pdf

Good choice, since John Dobson, for whom the Dobsonian is named after is a member of the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers. The guy is a monk, and learned how to build cost minimal telescopes for the public to use on the sidewalks of SFO. It looks like the plans are good overview of how to lay it out. Price is right.

My suggestion is Build Your Own Telescope by former Astronomy magazine editor Richard Berry. http://www.willbell.com/tm/tm2.htm I took that book as a 13 year old and built a 6" f/8 reflector. It had plans for 5 different telescopes, including a 10" f/6 Dob. The book cost me $24.95 in 1986 and that is the same price today. Goes into alot more detail.

Last edited:
If I can find room in the plane, I can bring one down to Gastons... that place pretty dark at night? Jun 6th is close to the new moon.

Last edited:
If I can find room in the plane, I can bring one down to Gastons... that place pretty dark at night? Jun 6th is close to the new moon.
Ooooh!!! Don't say that, or Leslie'll want to bring her scope! But, that said, if we can convince them to turn off the lights alongside the driveway, it'll be pretty darn dark!

Nothing a nice varmint rifle couldn't fix.... :D

Pete

Don't we have quite a few on the board with target pistols? Of course, we want to be welcomed BACK to Gaston's!

Back