Tehachapi, California

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
This week, my travels found me yet again in Tehachapi, about 20 miles North of Mojave. As it turned out I had some time to visit the local airport as I do wherever I can. It was a visit of some mixed opinions.
First off it is a very nice little airport with a single runway and from all appearances a fair amount of GA traffic. Driving up, I noticed brand new buildings all along the road bordering the property, so I'm thinking there's a good sign. But wait, there's a security fence that covers all access to the airport and each gate has a card key system. So waaaay down at the East end, there's a gate open,(it was currently inop, and had to be opened manually) and just inside I see a guy working on a Mooney. I drove in, parked and struck up a conversation.
This guy, an older gent apparently owns or owned Benbow aviation. He filled me in on all the doins at the airport. It seems that a developer who knows nothing about aviation "bought" the airport and put up all the new buildings. All new hangars, designed for larger aircraft, and put them up for sale at $260K each. He's sold 1 out of probably a dozen. That one is now up for sale by the current owner because he's so put out at the developer.
After my talk with Mr. Benbow, I looked down the ramp and saw two P-51's sitting there and decided to go get a couple of pictures. I met the fellow who maintains and restores the warbirds and we talked for about 20 minutes or so. An incredibly nice guy who loved to talk flying, even my 172 flying seemed inyteresting to him.
After we had talked for a while, Mr. Benbow returned and told me I had to leave the airport as he was going home and I needed to get my car off the property. When I asked if I could move my car outside the fence and return to my conversation, I was told that there was no way to get out of the gate once he left. He hates those gates with a passion and minced no words about it either. So, after a couple of pictures I returned to the world of the outsiders of aviation, just looking at an airport through thoroughly locked gates and razor wire topped fences. Guess there'll be no more airport kids in the future. They're not secure enough.
Sigh.........

Attachments

• Huntress III.JPG
    Huntress III.JPG
    875.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Mustang at Tehachapi.JPG
    Mustang at Tehachapi.JPG
    888.5 KB · Views: 21
Keith Lane said:
This week, my travels found me yet again in Tehachapi, about 20 miles North of Mojave. As it turned out I had some time to visit the local airport as I do wherever I can. It was a visit of some mixed opinions.

Guess there'll be no more airport kids in the future. They're not secure enough.
Sigh.........
Keith, did you make it to the glider port at Tehachapi a few miles south of town? It's a wonderful, WONDERFUL little airport! They have a neat little cafe that overlooks the runway. I posted about my second glider ride there with photos in this thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3715

Hopefully, you will check it out next time you are at Tehachapi. I only wish I could go back there. That glider instructor was GREAT!

Diana said:
Keith, did you make it to the glider port at Tehachapi a few miles south of town?

No, I didn't know about it.
It has to be more friendly than the airport in town. I guess I should have noted that the developer's signs advertising his offerings said "Hangers Available". That was a tipoff as to his commitment to aviation.

100LL $2.99 at TSP when I was there Oct 18th. It might be lower now. Keith, it's a long story at that aprt. At least the aprt is still open and the rwy is better maintained now.

Keith Lane said:
I guess I should have noted that the developer's signs advertising his offerings said "Hangers Available". That was a tipoff as to his commitment to aviation.

Maybe there was a dry cleaning shop on the property?

Richard said:
100LL $2.99 at TSP when I was there Oct 18th. It might be lower now. Keith, it's a long story at that aprt. At least the aprt is still open and the rwy is better maintained now.

Airnav says still $2.99 as of Monday.
It looks like a very nice airport. Just too bad that a non-aviation person has control of it. If he sees it as a financial failure, he may just try to close it and use the land for other purposes. What do you know about Benbow Aviation? They seem to have a presence in Torrance, as a flight school.

Keith Lane said:
No, I didn't know about it.
It has to be more friendly than the airport in town.

i can almost guarantee that it will be keith. and go for a ride, you will have fun!

Back