Teenage Pilot Website

mcarlini

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mcarlini
Hello Everyone,

Some of you may or may not remember my post from a month or two back in which I was asking around to see if anyone here besides me was a teenage pilot. I have been pondering some ideas since I finished my ebook
(Teenage Pilot if interested) and I am currently considering starting a website aimed at other teenage pilots. The site would contain all kinds of information regarding learning to fly while in high school or college and if I go through with this, I would love to take ideas for the site from anyone here.

In your opinion, do you believe there is a significant audience for such a website, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks
Michael

Hello Everyone,

Some of you may or may not remember my post from a month or two back in which I was asking around to see if anyone here besides me was a teenage pilot. I have been pondering some ideas since I finished my ebook
(Teenage Pilot if interested) and I am currently considering starting a website aimed at other teenage pilots. The site would contain all kinds of information regarding learning to fly while in high school or college and if I go through with this, I would love to take ideas for the site from anyone here.

In your opinion, do you believe there is a significant audience for such a website, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks
Michael

Well, do a very good job of it and you won't be wasting your time. You can at least use it as an extra curricular activity on your college applications. Besides, who knows what else you may get from it.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Michael

Make sure you comply with COPPA. Sounds like a great idea

Ah yes. Wouldn't want to anger the nanny lawyer state. Comply comply comply. Sony can lose personal data of millions, colleges can send student's personal data home on laptops that get stolen, banks can code trades in fast enough computers to cause "flash crashes", but a small website run by a kid needs to comply with Federal child protection mandates to keep everyone "safe".

I was on the early equivalent of the Net (pre-Net) in the late 80s as a kid and never left. The boogeyman didn't get me.

Of course no one was silly enough to ask for personal information for Marketing purposes back then either.

Easiest way to avoid this, don't ask for personal info at all.

Something to think about. What happens when your targeted audience or you turn age 20?

Something to think about. What happens when your targeted audience or you turn age 20?

They no longer will know everything? :rolleyes:

Spike, that reminds me of a Mark Twain quote,

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

Consider your audience numbers and whether that would meet your goals. Pilots make up about 1 in each 500 of the general us population. Of that, teenage pilots make up about 1 in 38 pilots. So, your target is 1 in 19,000 of the US population. According to the AOPA statistics for 2008, there were about 16,000 teenage pilots.

Consider your audience numbers and whether that would meet your goals. Pilots make up about 1 in each 500 of the general us population. Of that, teenage pilots make up about 1 in 38 pilots. So, your target is 1 in 19,000 of the US population. According to the AOPA statistics for 2008, there were about 16,000 teenage pilots.

Then I have to figure out how to market the site to them so that they learn about it-- the biggest challenge.

I was thinking of aiming the site more at prospective teens looking to learn to fly. When I was learning, I always wished to learn more about flying from others my age. I think a website that offered teenage-specific advice on learning to fly would be valuable. But again, the challenge is reaching that audience.

Then I have to figure out how to market the site to them so that they learn about it-- the biggest challenge.

I was thinking of aiming the site more at prospective teens looking to learn to fly. When I was learning, I always wished to learn more about flying from others my age. I think a website that offered teenage-specific advice on learning to fly would be valuable. But again, the challenge is reaching that audience.

I would think Facebook would be the prime tool to disseminate that to teenagers.

Maybe I'm from a different generation, or I just had a different mindset at that age, but, to be fully honest, If I were a teen looking to fly, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the internet. I would have probably asked my mom or dad if they knew anything, or if they could go to an airport and find out, and if they didn't come up with anything, i would have probably thought "oh well, that sucks"

Of course, kids these days are probably using the internet before they can walk
:loco:

Maybe I'm from a different generation, or I just had a different mindset at that age, but, to be fully honest, If I were a teen looking to fly, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the internet. I would have probably asked my mom or dad if they knew anything, or if they could go to an airport and find out, and if they didn't come up with anything, i would have probably thought "oh well, that sucks"

Of course, kids these days are probably using the internet before they can walk
:loco:

As you say, all the kids use the internet (at least the ones with the financial ability to fly) long before they are of an age to fly, so the internet and especially social media outlets are a good way to "spread the word". Aviation competes with a lot of other things for time and resource. Lot's of teens have no concept that this is available to them. We grew up in a different time. Broadband really changed the face of the world and actually made it even more confusing.

Back