Teen Who Pointed Laser Sentenced to Prison

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Sorry if this has already been posted. Due to my involvement with so many things aviation, I get put on a lot of mailing lists. This one came to me recently from a law enforcement aviation newsletter:

Teen Who Pointed Laser Sentenced to Prison

A 19-year-old North Hollywood man was given 30 months in federal prison in late March for aiming a green laser at a private plane and then at a Pasadena Police Department helicopter, which was hit six times by the laser. The pilot was wearing protective gear and did not have his vision impacted.

The defendant was arrested in April 2012 and pleaded guilty in October to one count of aiming the beam of a laser at multiple aircraft near the Burbank Airport. The man’s attorney argued he had no idea the laser he borrowed from a friend was powerful enough to be seen by, much less distract, a pilot thousands of feet away. The attorney said he couldn't have known the tiny beam from the laser would expand to the size of a searchlight.

The judge rejected the defendant’s claim that he was not endangering the safety of the aircraft with the laser and said the 30-month jail term was intended to serve as a message to other would-be defendants.
The federal statute used to charge the defendant is part of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act legislation signed into law in 2012 making it a federal crime to deliberately aim a laser at an aircraft. This marked only the second time the statute has been enforced.

Ha....I'm all for prosecution. Those are not your average classroom pointers. This has happened several times to pilots at oceana. Arrests were made.

I still think that a jail sentence is a little too harsh for one who did not know the law. But I do know how dangerous these laser pointers are to pilots flying aircraft. Surely a $1,000 fine and community service would do justice for that incident.

Do the manufacturers who make laser pointers have a disclaimer or notice of any sort on the laser pointer and the box containing a laser pointer that says it's a federal crime to point a laser at airplanes and aircraft and it carrys a jail sentence in federal prison? If not, they should start making those notices as a fair warning to all who use laser pointers.

I still think that a jail sentence is a little too harsh for one who did not know the law. But I do know how dangerous these laser pointers are to pilots flying aircraft. Surely a $1,000 fine and community service would do justice for that incident.

Do the manufacturers who make laser pointers have a disclaimer or notice of any sort on the laser pointer and the box containing a laser pointer that says it's a federal crime to point a laser at airplanes and aircraft and it carrys a jail sentence in federal prison? If not, they should start making those notices as a fair warning to all who use laser pointers.

So if I murder someone I should be able to be let off if I just say "well, the box the baseball bat came in didn't say I couldn't bludgeon someone to death with it, so I didn't know it was illegal."

Do we have to put a label on everything saying, Do not do the following with the contents: [list 5,387,359 things]. Do we really need the government wiping our asses for every little thing?

Last edited:
So if I murder someone I should be able to be let off if I just say "well, the box the baseball bat came in didn't say I couldn't bludgeon someone to death with it, so I didn't know it was illegal."

Well in that scenario, it is common sense that murdering someone with a baseball bat is wrong.

But IMO most people do not know that pointing lasers at pilots is dangerous to them when flying an airplane. I don't think it is common sense for the general public in this case yet.

Well in that scenario, it is common sense that murdering someone with a baseball bat is wrong.

But IMO most people do not know that pointing lasers at pilots is dangerous to them when flying an airplane. I don't think it is common sense for the general public in this case yet.

There's a label "Do not point at your eyes." Somehow it's OK to point at other people's eyes?

These pointers are for pointing out stars at night (star gazers). But many people buy them just to shine pilots. They know it causes problems. I'm also sure they know it is illegal. Just because you do not know a certain law does mean you get a get out of jail free card.

30 months in a Federal prison? :eek: That seems excessive to me, especially when I am paying for it. :lol:

I'm guessing there is more to the story. That seems way over the top to me. A weekend in the county jail would certainly have gotten his attention. 2.5 years with a lifer named Bubba? That kid is ruined for life. :yes:

Last edited:
These pointers are for pointing out stars at night (star gazers).

How's that again? How does a laser light up the star you want folks to look at? A star light-years away and millions of times brighter than any laser?

I don't think anybody has any business selling or buying such stuff. No redeeming value at all. Too powerful for the classroom, too weak for industrial purposes.

Dan

30 months in a Federal prison? :eek: That seems excessive to me, especially when I am paying for it. :lol:

30 days for shining at the private plane and 29 months for the Pasadena Police chopper.

Good I am glad. I have been hit with lasers about 3 times. Twice coming into SJC and the other to STS. The one on approach into STS killed my vision for about 10 seconds and gave me a horrible headache. It is super dangerous, malicious, and ignorant to do that crap.

How's that again? How does a laser light up the star you want folks to look at? A star light-years away and millions of times brighter than any laser?

I don't think anybody has any business selling or buying such stuff. No redeeming value at all. Too powerful for the classroom, too weak for industrial purposes.

Dan
One just follows the beam to the item of interest in the sky. They work well for pointing things out in the sky, other than aircraft.

I've used such lasers for determining the point spread functions for lenses. They are much easier to set up that the older gas lasers. They also work fine for holography. More power means a shorter exposure time, and less chance for anything to move.

They certainly do have redeeming features.

Like firearms, I'd rather people be punished for misusing a laser than possessing one.

Maybe instead of putting them in jail for 30 months we should put them in control towers for 30 months...solves both problems. :)

Maybe instead of putting them in jail for 30 months we should put them in control towers for 30 months...solves both problems. :)

So then shiners can be closer to the planes...maybe shine em on the takeoff roll. Just playing, I know what you're getting at ;)

Dan

They work great for star gazers to point out specific stars or constellations to new comers. You'd be surprised, it looks like you are touching the star. It's the perspective from the ground looking up.

I guess theres a couple different viewpoints that could be taken here:

1. Its your 18 year old son playing with one of his friends toys and doesn't really comprehend the possible consequences of his actions.

2. It was your wife and kids on the plane that was put in danger of possibly going down.

Tough call, and in no way am i condoning this type of thing, but if the punishment is to fit the crime, and no harm was done in this particular instance, i believe 30mo. is a bit excessive.

I guess theres a couple different viewpoints that could be taken here:

1. Its your 18 year old son playing with one of his friends toys and doesn't really comprehend the possible consequences of his actions.

2. It was your wife and kids on the plane that was put in danger of possibly going down.

Tough call, and in no way am i condoning this type of thing, but if the punishment is to fit the crime, and no harm was done in this particular instance, i believe 30mo. is a bit excessive.

No harm can be caused during attempted murder as well. Let them walk too?

Well, I guess the best thing in this kind of situation is to educate the general public about the dangers of lasers pointing at airplanes.

Put a public service announcement on all mainstream TV channels so that the general public would know about the dangers of lasers pointing at airplanes and the harsh penalties for doing it.

No, the best thing would be for people to not be so dumb. And let us shoot the ones that are.

No, the best thing would be for people to not be so dumb. And let us shoot the ones that are.

Look, I think it is necessary to educate the general public on the dangers of lasers can have on aviation safety, as a fair warning. I want the public to be well aware of this danger so they could avoid being arrested, and avoid causing a disaster, for something they really didn't know that was against the law, and something that could have great consequences.

Last edited:
Look, I think it is fair warning to educate the general public on the dangers of lasers can have on aviation safety. I want the public to be well aware of this danger so they could avoid being arrested, and avoid causing a disaster, for something they really didn't know.

The box already says don't shine it in your eyes. Anyone who can't make the logical leap to not shine it in someone else's eyes, is below the Mendoza line and should be, uh, disposed of.

Where did you see "let them walk" in my post? In any event your comparison doesn't apply.

The judge gave him 30 months because he knows the system. He wanted the guy to actually spend some time in jail. He knows nobody ever serves the entire sentence and it's almost always reduced by good behavior, or some work/study program, or an appeal. By starting out at 30 months, it's likely the guy will spend an actual 6 months in a minimum security prison.

The harsh sentence is designed to grab headlines and to build public awareness. Don't cry too much for the kid. He knew he was being a jackass, his life is not ruined and he's not going to get raped by Bubba. Time to reflect on why he's such an idiot.

The judge rejected the defendant’s claim that he was not endangering the safety of the aircraft with the laser and said the 30-month jail term was intended to serve as a message to other would-be defendants.
Sending the message that once in a great while some poor sap will get nailed to the wall to send a message doesn't send the correct message. A better message would be that perpetrators consistently get $1000 dollar fine and 100 hours pain in the ass community service. It's too little a punishment to hire an attorney to fight, given that it's possible to get 2 years in prison, but enough that it hurts way more than any percieved fun they may imagined they were having.

Do we have to put a label on everything saying, Do not do the following with the contents:[list 5,387,359 things]. Do we really need the government wiping our asses for every little thing?

Well sure!:lol:

The punishment in this case was excessive. The defense attorney probably did a very poor job. As someone pointed out, a LEO AC was involved which probably signficantly increased the sentence.

I haven't been aimed at with a laser, but did have someone launch a 4th of July mortar off of the approach end of the runway when I was on short final (Disneyland type - my altitude - filled the entire windshield). I went around as I lost night vision, never saw/found the "shooters".

Well sure!:lol:

The punishment in this case was excessive. The defense attorney probably did a very poor job. As someone pointed out, a LEO AC was involved which probably signficantly increased the sentence.

I haven't been aimed at with a laser, but did have someone launch a 4th of July mortar off of the approach end of the runway when I was on short final (Disneyland type - my altitude - filled the entire windshield). I went around as I lost night vision, never saw/found the "shooters".

I don't think it was excessive. It was a purposeful act which could have caused death. If I stand on an overpass and drop a bowling ball into a car's windshield causing that person to crash, should I just get a stern lecture because the bowling ball didn't have a label on it that says "don't drop off of bridges onto vehicles" ?

Back