Teen gets 30 months in prison for aiming laser pointer at plane

Well deserved time TBH. If someone ever shines a laser at me when I'm flying, I am more than prepared to turn my self into a kamikaze.

Well deserved time TBH. If someone ever shines a laser at me when I'm flying, I am more than prepared to turn my self into a kamikaze.

You would kill yourself trying to kill a person on the ground you thought was pointing a laser at you?

You should definitely tell your AME about this. Before you fly again to be sure...

Last edited:
Wow. Well deserved. Causing a dangerous situation for no reason.

There is so much I would like to say, but I think it would bring it into spin zone territory so for once I think I will keep quiet. I will say I do think that in this case the punishment fits the crime, but I can think of a lot of other punishments that may have taught him the same lesson, and prevented others from doing the same thing. However, as occurs so often in this country, others have done worse and suffered much less.

Why would a kid need a laser at all?

Dan

Apparently, for making YouTube videos to impress friends by popping balloons, blinding pilots, and burning the hair off of the neighbor's cats.

Why would a kid need a laser at all?

Dan

cause they're 'neat'.

I know there is a better way to get the word out to stop this than trashing this kids life. I wish I knew what it was. So, a kid gets tossed into the meat grinder and hopefully the word spreads to not do this.

Everyone here knows the kid wasn't being malicious right?

cause they're 'neat'.

I know there is a better way to get the word out to stop this than trashing this kids life. I wish I knew what it was. So, a kid gets tossed into the meat grinder and hopefully the word spreads to not do this.

Not I, but then I am a curmudgeon. I find it hard to believe that with all the warnings on lasers not to point it into anyone's eye, and all the information on how it is bad to do so that this kid had absolutely no idea that what he was doing could hurt someone. If he was as innocent as he says he was why was he pointing into the windshield of a plane, and then a police helicopter. He could have had as much "fun" pointing it at other things if that was the case. I think he did it for the same reason most if not all people do things when we were young but knew instinctively they were wrong. We did not think of the consequences of our actions on others, nor the consequences of our actions on ourselves if we got caught or harmed someone. Something having to being young, stupid, and naive.

Though I agree with you there may have been better ways of handling this that could have been as effective, both as punishment and as a deterrent, but then again I am not in the business of law.

I don't know, do you?

He apparently lased a pilot in a Citation, temporarily blinding the pilot and causing him vision problems throughout the day.

He then tagged the police helicopter that was dispatched to investigate 6 times.

He had borrowed the laser from a friend who warned him warned him not to shine it at anyone's eyes because it would blind people.

"He used the laser the day before and shined it at parked cars, signs and other things in the neighborhood and was impressed with how powerful the beam was and how far it could travel."

After getting busted and sent to the Twin Towers Correctional Facility, he updated his Facebook site with:

Twin towers tomorrow... Not looking forward !!!:/ whats poppin though?=)​

Non-nonchalant? Invincible? Didn't care? Or malicious?

What's poppin'?

adam%20gardenhire%20facebook.JPG

Adam Gardenhire / Facebook
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/...er_pointer_aircraft_fbi_arrest_indictment.php

When I read he was pointing the laser at a citation and then a helicopter I don't take that to mean he was specifically aiming at the cockpits or that he would know lighting up any part of the aircraft would equate to blinding a pilot.

I'm not defending the kid. What he did was bad. But I can empathize with a desire to want to point the beam of light at things in the sky. It does look cool.

Still wish there was a way to get the word out and not have people go to jail for playing.

OTOH, intent is king. If he's really a bad apple and was trying to crash a and by blinding the pilot then 30 months isn't enough in my book.

I just whish the reports of laser incidents would start mentioning what power the misused laser pointer had. You can get anything from 1mW to several Watt these days. Not saying at shining any laser at an airplane is a good idea, but the health risk for flight crews is very different - ranging from annoyance to permanent eye damage.

When I read he was pointing the laser at a citation and then a helicopter I don't take that to mean he was specifically aiming at the cockpits or that he would know lighting up any part of the aircraft would equate to blinding a pilot.

I'm not defending the kid. What he did was bad. But I can empathize with a desire to want to point the beam of light at things in the sky. It does look cool.

Still wish there was a way to get the word out and not have people go to jail for playing.

OTOH, intent is king. If he's really a bad apple and was trying to crash a and by blinding the pilot then 30 months isn't enough in my book.
I think you are giving this kid the benefit of the doubt, but I for one am not too certain. Common sense will tell you that shing a laser or for that matter anything into the windshield of a moving vehicle has the potential of distracting the operator in the best case scenario, and causing a crash in the worse case scenario. His lawyer was his worse enemy in allowing him to deny he knew it was a bad idea after the testimony of his friends. In any case, he chose to plead guilty and take a plea bargain. If he was so convinced he was not guilty then he should have gone to trial.

How is it that a beam of light from a laser pointer can temporarily blind pilot?

How is it that a beam of light from a laser pointer can temporarily blind pilot?
From what I understand (though I am sure a more coherant answer will come) lasers concentrate light of a particular wavelength into a tiny beam and with that beam comes a lot of energy which is then further focused by the lens of your eye to a much smaller area on the retina which then burns the cones and rods of the retina thus damaging your eye.

Ever met a drunk driver that intended to crash?

Apples and oranges.

If I'm not paying attention as the red light turns green and sit there...sitting... not moving...and while we sit, me not paying attention a meteor crashes into the car behind me killing the driver then I'd feel real bad but wouldn't expect to be charged for homicide.

However, if I stop in traffic for no reason just past a railroad track with a train coming causing the train to slam into the car behind me killing the driver then I am a murderer.

See the difference? Intent.

Apples and oranges.

If I'm not paying attention as the red light turns green and sit there...sitting... not moving...and while we sit, me not paying attention a meteor crashes into the car behind me killing the driver then I'd feel real bad but wouldn't expect to be charged for homicide.

However, if I stop in traffic for no reason just past a railroad track with a train coming causing the train to slam into the car behind me killing the driver then I am a murderer.

See the difference? Intent.
I see the difference but I do not see how it applies to the case at hand. I see what he did as being analogous to me shooting a gun into the air in celebration and that bullet comes done and hits someone in the head. I did not intend for the bullet to hit them, but I am still guilty of killing the person(I believe it is manslaughter, but the lawyers in the form may disagree). I believe this happened in Philadelphia a number of years ago.

Because laser is not like a flash light.
The laser beam is very narrow and it does spread out but very slowly hence a beam can travel say for a mile and still deliver a lot of concentrated energy to your eye. No other source of light can equal laser in this respect. Laser is a magical device, no wonder inventors received the Nobel Prizes.

Last edited:
Apples and oranges.

Really? The US Attorney didn't think so.

Assistant US Attorney Melissa Mills pointed out that Gardenhire's conduct was reckless...

"One can imagine a drunk driver making the same excuse - that he just 'didn't think about the dangers' of getting behind the wheel in an impaired state. But disregarding a clear risk does not absolve one of responsibility for assuming it," Mills said.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/breakingnews/ci_22869206/man-gets-30-months-pointing-laser-at-plane

Well, maybe it's a hybrid between the two analogies. A bullet comes down, laser does not.

I don't know...

Look, if he intended harm fine. Throw the book at him. I just understand how cool it is at night to swing a laser around into the sky. I've done it myself with my boys while camping. If, at that moment with laser in hand with my boys right there camping a helicopter flew by I wouldn't light it up...but I'd want to. I'd have to stop that urge.

Maybe that's what happened here. Maybe not. If it is then 30 months sucks to make a lesson for everyone. Is what it is though...

that moment with laser in hand with my boys right there camping a helicopter flew by I wouldn't light it up...

Maybe that's what happened here. Maybe not. If it is then 30 months sucks to make a lesson for everyone. Is what it is though...
Yeah, but the severity of the sentence is probably partly due to the fact that it was a far more powerful laser than your typical 'pointer'. You may play dumb when toying mindlessly with a pencil-like device, it is much harder to do that when you have something much more capable as his 'commercial' grade laser which (we don't know) could have involved directing a beam with a separate mirror, a stand, mounts, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the severity of the sentence is probably partly due to the fact that it was a far more powerful laser than your typical 'pointer'. You may play dumb when toying mindlessly with a pencil-like device, it is much harder to do that when you have something much more capable as his 'commercial' grade laser which (we don't know) could have involved directing a beam with a separate mirror, a stand, mounts, etc.

Agreed. I'd like more details.

Well, maybe it's a hybrid between the two analogies. A bullet comes down, laser does not.

I don't know...

Look, if he intended harm fine. Throw the book at him. I just understand how cool it is at night to swing a laser around into the sky. I've done it myself with my boys while camping. If, at that moment with laser in hand with my boys right there camping a helicopter flew by I wouldn't light it up...but I'd want to. I'd have to stop that urge.

If he's really just a dopey kid who genuinely didn't know that he was endangering anyone, then yeah, a couple of weeks in the county jail would be enough to teach him a lesson.

And yes, a possibility exists that he really is that dopey. He did, after all, lase a police helicopter, possibly thinking that the police pilot would find it amusing. So he doesn't sound like a Rhodes scholar.

But on the other hand, people have died from dopey acts as well as malicious ones; so there's something to be said for setting an example.

-Rich

Last edited:
He needs to get lazed at least once a night during confinement.

He needs to get lazed at least once a night during confinement.
Don't you worry I am sure he will, and probably twice on sunday. As a good friend of mine used to say going to jail means sleeping quarters, three meals a day, and all the sex you do not want.

If he's really just a dopey kid who genuinely didn't know that he was endangering anyone, then yeah, a couple of weeks in the county jail would be enough to teach him a lesson.

And yes, a possibility exists that he really is that dopey. He did, after all, lase a police helicopter, possibly thinking that the police pilot would find it amusing. So he doesn't sound like a Rhodes scholar.

But on the other hand, people have died from dopey acts as well as malicious ones; so there's something to be said for setting an example.

-Rich
Ignorance is not a defense as far as I know.

No sympathy from me. He can go rot in prison and have the rest of his life afterwards ruined as he lives as a permanent drag on society. Boo hoo "kid".

Maybe he'll do us all a favor and catch a bullet someday soon.

Someone was shining a green laser on the north side of KMSP several days ago. Pilots were reporting it to MSP Approach. I was in the same general area shooting approaches into KANE and KSTP.

Intent is. See post #20.
Not yet convinced of that in this case either. See post #21. Also how do you prove intent. Action is easy, intent is trying to see what was in his mind, and you only have his self serving word for that. Another example I can give is with boating. I was always taught in boating that I was responsible for my wake. If someone got injured because of my wake I could be held accountable. I certainly did not intend for my wake to hurt someone but if it did. I know these are civil examples, but a legal example could be the case where a college student(i believe) stole a stop sign and as a result of him stealing the sign a fatal accident occurred because someone did not stop because the sign was not there. The student was arrested and found guilty. I guarantee you he did not intend for an accident to occur, it was just a college prank, but someone died and he was held accountable. How about all those kids who have died because parents have left them in cars, left their guns out, left them unattended near the swimming pool... you think any of them got off of their criminal charges because they did not intend for their kid to get hurt or die because of their lack of due dilligence. Though on second thought these examples really do not count, because he was not convicted of hurting someone, he was convicted of shining the laser at the aircraft, which he obviously intended to do. You cannot tell me he did it seven times by accident.

Your right.

In my mind I'm just worried about the "kid" who knew no better and now has 30 months and a screwed up life looking at him.

Maybe I'm picking the wrong guy to sympathize with.

Well, it is obvious that lasers that have enough power to light up a cockpit should be banned from sale to the general public, they are simply too dangerous. Or perhaps background checks for those that can prove they have a legitimate need for such a device.

Why would anyone need such a thing as a laser pointer anyway? For hundreds of years, teachers and lecturers have successfully used wooden pointers to accomplish their mission of pointing at things.

If there is a true need, after a background check, only the red, low power, laser pointers should be allowed for sale to the public, it is all anyone needs for pointing.

Only thirty months was way to little for anyone doing anything so stupid. What about the owner of the devise who lent it to an obvious idiot? Should he not be doing time as well for his part in risking lives?

Heck, I'm torn between sarcasm and seriousness. It's bad enough trying to land at night when the approach lights are set on high, which happened to me on my last night landing, much less having to deal with a laser lighting up the cockpit.

He will probably be released in just a few weeks due to California's seriously overcrowded prisons and jails. Heck, they've been releasing non violent felons early for the last six months or so, just to gain some room.

-John

Last edited:
Ignorance is not a defense as far as I know.

No one said it was. It might be (or might not be) a mitigating factor assuming that he really, truly didn't understand the potential for harm, but that's really only part of the equation. Deterrence is the other and, in this instance, more important part.

-Rich

Last edited:
Does anyone know when he will be eligible for parole if he doesn't get released due to overcrowding?

I see the difference but I do not see how it applies to the case at hand. I see what he did as being analogous to me shooting a gun into the air in celebration and that bullet comes done and hits someone in the head. I did not intend for the bullet to hit them, but I am still guilty of killing the person(I believe it is manslaughter, but the lawyers in the form may disagree). I believe this happened in Philadelphia a number of years ago.
It was not just one stray "bullet" that happened to hit the aircraft. It is more like you aiming your machine gun at a landing aircraft during the final approach and then aiming your machine gun at the police helicopter that was dispatched to find you.

BTW, this is not the only incident that has gotten the "perp" convicted.
http://www.laserpointersafety.com/sentences/sentences.html

Back