Tecnam P2010 Tx to Cali

wwest

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wwest
Good evening, new user here. I have a 2021 Tecnam P2010, has a normally aspirated IO-390. I am looking for some advise. I have a trip planned for early august to Fresno California and am trying to decide if I want to fly myself or just go commercial. The route would be KAMA-KAEG-KIFP-KBFL-KFAT. I picked my plane up in Vegas and brought it back to KAMA in late April so I am (somewhat) familiar with the route, but that was in April not August. I have about 150 hours total time and about 40 in my 2010. I also have an instructor that is willing to go along with me on this trip (would not make the trip alone). So my question is given the probability of high density altitudes across NM and AZ is the trip a risk? Right now I am leaning toward taking the commercial route but thought I would seek the advice of more experienced pilots. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I’ve flown this route several times. I’d avoid the MOA’s unless they are cold. Also engine outs and you’re many hours or a day from someone finding you. That’s a lot of desert. Stay close to roads for emergency recovery reasons.

Plan this route, and enroute with flight following, request transition through Edward’s is possible. Many days the airspace is cold and they will let you through. Saves lots of time.

5873CBA5-2259-4DE4-A8F1-057F7985B667.jpeg

Thank you for the reply. I like the route you selected much better than mine. In regards to the MOAs are there any in particular that are better to avoid? I stopped at KGUP to get fuel on my way home in April. Did not have any issues climbing out but that was April on a semi cool day. Any concerns climbing out of there in august with an IO-390? Thanks again for the reply.

Thank you for the reply. I like the route you selected much better than mine. In regards to the MOAs are there any in particular that are better to avoid? I stopped at KGUP to get fuel on my way home in April. Did not have any issues climbing out but that was April on a semi cool day. Any concerns climbing out of there in august with an IO-390? Thanks again for the reply.

I’ve flown this route several times. I’d avoid the MOA’s unless they are cold. Also engine outs and you’re many hours or a day from someone finding you. That’s a lot of desert. Stay close to roads for emergency recovery reasons.

Plan this route, and enroute with flight following, request transition through Edward’s is possible. Many days the airspace is cold and they will let you through. Saves lots of time.

View attachment 108636

I have a turbo… so I cheat. :7)

Check density alt on a hot day run the calculation with the POH.

Those MOA’s fly a lot of fast hardware, so I stay away unless they are inactive.

#1 leave early and be done for the day noon to early afternoon! Fly high too, 8500-10,500.

In February I flew from Sebring Florida to Southern California in my brand new P2010 that I picked up from the factory in Sebring. I followed I-10 in Texas into Arizona and then California.

Just two weeks ago I flew from Southern California along the southern border and then up to Kansas City Missouri. Because of a late start I spent the first night in Tucson and a second night in Tulsa. A few days later I flew back on the return flight and did it in one night, spent in El Paso. Both on my way there and on my way back I had to avoid weather. I flew VFR only. The G1000 weather overlay worked well.

So I would recommend that you head south to El Paso and follow the 10 to Tucson, and then up to Phoenix area, and then over to Palm Springs, and then to Burbank, and then to Gorman VOR, and then into the Central Valley direct to Fresno.

I would think you could do it in two nights, comfortably, first night in El Paso and second night in Palm Springs (landing in-between for fuel and food).

A midday to late afternoon approach into Fresno will come with a little bit of turbulence though...

Tomorrow I'm heading to Yuma Arizona from Southern California hoping to be there by 1030 a.m. where it's expected to be 100° at that time, and 113° in the afternoon. I'll spend one night and depart Saturday by about 7:30 a.m. to beat the heat on the way back.

#1 leave early and be done for the day noon to early afternoon! Fly high too, 8500-10,500.

In February I flew from Sebring Florida to Southern California in my brand new P2010 that I picked up from the factory in Sebring. I followed I-10 in Texas into Arizona and then California.

Just two weeks ago I flew from Southern California along the southern border and then up to Kansas City Missouri. Because of a late start I spent the first night in Tucson and a second night in Tulsa. A few days later I flew back on the return flight and did it in one night, spent in El Paso. Both on my way there and on my way back I had to avoid weather. I flew VFR only. The G1000 weather overlay worked well.

So I would recommend that you head south to El Paso and follow the 10 to Tucson, and then up to Phoenix area, and then over to Palm Springs, and then to Burbank, and then to Gorman VOR, and then into the Central Valley direct to Fresno.

I would think you could do it in two nights, comfortably, first night in El Paso and second night in Palm Springs (landing in-between for fuel and food).

A midday to late afternoon approach into Fresno will come with a little bit of turbulence though...

Tomorrow I'm heading to Yuma Arizona from Southern California hoping to be there by 1030 a.m. where it's expected to be 100° at that time, and 113° in the afternoon. I'll spend one night and depart Saturday by about 7:30 a.m. to beat the heat on the way back.

Sounds like you're getting good use from the new bird. Nice.

The MOA’s and portions of the Restricted Areas are more likely to be cold in the Edwards/China Lake complex on weekends than weekdays. Use Flight Following for real time Pireps and SUA status. Winds in excess of around 25 knots are likely to make things more than just a little rough in some areas. I’ve flown quite bit in the area and that’s my experience.

Regarding MOAs and Restricted areas, when I start a plan on ForeFlight I plan to go right through them at my preferred altitude. Then I look at the PROFILE view to see if I need to make any adjustments to that route, and, adjust the plan!

Much quicker than looking at the details of each area one at a time...

By the way, what is your tail number? I set up flightradar alerts on Tecnam P2010s...
I am 258CM. What does the book say for useful load in yours? Mine is about 850 and that seems really low to me considering an SR-20 is around 1050.

I am 258CM. What does the book say for useful load in yours? Mine is about 850 and that seems really low to me considering an SR-20 is around 1050.
Mine is a little lower I think because of metallic paint and something else I don't recall. It's my understanding that the useful load was increased/certified on the TDI jet-a/diesel because the Continental 170 is heavier. Therefore, I'm hopeful that the 215 horsepower and the 180 horsepower p2010 is being recertified with an increase in max takeoff weight thus useful load. Should be about another 69 lbs.

Back