Technologly challenged... Help please.

michael Killacky

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mikek
The G/f is taking an online Vet Tech Course and one of the Study Guides is on computers. Between the two of us, we know how to turn this one on, so if any of you techies can help out with three questions that we just CAN'T find in the books I'd be much obliged.
1) The part of the computer sysyem that receives input from the keyboard or mouse is the:
A) peripheral equipment
B)output device
C)CPU
D)storage media

2)To accurately transmit an electronic message, the sender needs to know one code and the receiver needs to know a different one. What online security measure is being used?
A) Private key encryption
B) Public key encryption
C) E-sinature
D) Digital certificate

3) The principal components of the CPU chip include:
A) memory and the ALU
B) the USB port and the registers
C) the ALU and the control unit
D) the control unit and the memory

As far as I know, none of these things have anything to do with fixing animals but they still think you need to know this stuff. If these seem like really stupid questions, remember I'm a prison guard and I live in the woods. Thanks for any help.

Mike
(appparently, a capital b makes a little face with sunglasses, never knew that either)

Last edited:
michael Killacky said:
The G/f is taking an online Vet Tech Course and one of the Study Guides is on computers. Between the two of us, we know how to turn this one on, so if any of you techies can help out with three questions that we just CAN'T find in the books I'd be much obliged.
1) The part of the computer sysyem that receives input from the keyboard or mouse is the:
A) peripheral equipment
B)output device
C)CPU
D)storage media

2)To accurately transmit an electronic message, the sender needs to know one code and the receiver needs to know a different one. What online security measure is being used?
B) Public key encryption
C) E-sinature
D) Digital certificate

A) memory and the ALU

As far as I know, none of these things have anything to do with fixing animals but they still think you need to know this stuff. If these seem like really stupid questions, remember I'm a prison guard and I live in the woods. Thanks for any help.

Mike
(appparently, a capital b makes a little face with sunglasses, never knew that either)
1 - C Got me. CPU I guess. The correct answer would be a I/O system, before the CPU. It's pretty stupidly worded. The keyboard and mouse ARE peripheral equipment.

2- B

3- C

Are you PAYING for a course with teachers as clueless as this? RUN AWAY!

Last edited:
michael Killacky said:
A) peripheral equipment
B)output device
C)CPU
D)storage media

B) Public key encryption
C) E-sinature
D) Digital certificate

A) memory and the ALU

Mike

Holy crap, that's a Vet course??

Well, I think that #1 is C, but really, that's not necessarily true. There are other things in the computer that deal specifically with I/O stuff.

#2 is Either A or B. It is also worded oddly. I would guess A, since you are keeping the encryption private.

#3 is most likely C.

Whoever wrote these questions is retarded.

SkyHog said:
Well, I think that #1 is C, but really, that's not necessarily true. There are other things in the computer that deal specifically with I/O stuff.

Of the provided answers, it's C. Like Nick says... I/O controllers are handling such things these days.

#2 is Either A or B. It is also worded oddly. I would guess A, since you are keeping the encryption private.

Nope, it's public key encryption. However, there are two components to public key encryption - The public key which is used to encrypt the document (or message) in the first place, and the private key which is used to decode it. See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy for an explanation of the most popular public key encryption system.

#3 is most likely C.

Yup. The two halves of the CPU chip itself are the control unit and the ALU (arithmetic-logic unit).

Whoever wrote these questions is retarded.

Well... Not retarded, but the questions were probably written 15+ years ago, back when the CPU actually did handle all of the I/O.

Appreciate it everybody!! She took the test and got a 97%. According to the school, C B C were the right answers. She only missed one I helped her with myself. Oh well, You'd think she knew better than to listen to me in the first place. ( I have a tendency to make stuff up). Thanks Again!!!
Mike

flyingcheesehead said:
Of the provided answers, it's C. Like Nick says... I/O controllers are handling such things these days.

Even in the original IBM PC, there was a keyboard controller (a small single chip uC) on the motherboard, but then and now, keycodes are eventually delivered to the main CPU(s) so C would still be correct.

Nope, it's public key encryption. However, there are two components to public key encryption - The public key which is used to encrypt the document (or message) in the first place, and the private key which is used to decode it. See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy for an explanation of the most popular public key encryption system.

Yep, gotta agree with that.

Yup. The two halves of the CPU chip itself are the control unit and the ALU (arithmetic-logic unit).

Today's CPU "chips" contain several somewhat autonomous sections, such as the cache, memory interface, ALU, FPU, and instruction sequencer. And there are several "System on a chip" processors that include program and data memory as well as many I/O peripherals. In early days, even the simplest uCs had some some sort of memory interface in addition to the ALU and execution unit.

Well... Not retarded, but the questions were probably written 15+ years ago, back when the CPU actually did handle all of the I/O.

I'd say they were written by someone with very limited knowledge about computers then or now.

lancefisher said:
I'd say they were written by someone with very limited knowledge about computers then or now.
I've found many "computer based training" courses a waste of time because of the material and the Q/As. In general, CBTs justified themselves by the length and used lots of filler material. Look at some of the computer books out of the 60's and 70's which apparently were used as basis for these CBTs. One of my old COBOL books has me confused about how data was stored in memory (using a graphic representation of a memory byte - 8 little magnetic rings).
On the other hand, what does the user need to know about the internal workings of a computer? How's that toaster work? How's that TV work? It's all filler. Paid by the word to justify the cost of the program.
By the way, the B followed by a right parenthesis or ) is a smiley. If you click the "Disable Smiley" before hitting the POST, you won't get a smiley. Smileys have become an art form much like ascii art from the early internet days. Some of that stuff was really good.

Back