Tech Trouble

You're upgrading to glass. You're going to

• go for Aspen because they are very flexible.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • go for a Garmin 600 becuase it is the top of the top.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • put in a Garmin 530 because that is the best value for the money.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • go with the G500 because it is very good, and not as expensive as the G600.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • update with Avidyne because I prefer the simplicity coupled with the sophistication.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • buy a very good handheld unit, because it is the inexpensive way to get glass into my cockpit.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I've always been a big dork--uh, I mean, I have always loved tech stuff. But I was interested in what people who are thinking about upgrading all or part of their panels to glass have in mind. So here's the poll: Assume you are upgrading and you want some glass in there. What do you pick and why?

Last edited:
I know this is limited, so I am looking for spirited conversation about the options!

Ben:

Absent a major financial event, no upgrades for me... but a realistic option for me (especially if, for example, my King HSI were to fail) would be to install an Aspen Pro, which I think is an outstanding combination of function, form and features, including the integral GPSS. If I had that extra lotto win (tough to expect, as I never buy lottery tix), I'd add another Aspen tube and a Garmin GMX-200.

the next major avionics upgrade i get for one of the gliders will probably be a handheld. Perhaps just a palm pilot running See You mobile or go all out and get an Oudie.

I don't have an airplane or a panel but I voted for the Garmin 530. That would be enough glass for me, although I don't really consider a Garmin 530 glass. Oh, and it would need to have an HSI, conventional is OK though.

The former owner of 8JT pulled out his mechanical HSI and replaced it with a Sandel SN-3308. I'm too cheap to have done that myself, but am very happy to have the result. :D

None of the above.

hehe, yeah--easy for me to talk when I don't even own an airplane! I think if I decided to buy, I would go in with three others and get something with glass, though, because I am completely converted at this stage! (And bear in mind, I -requested- several passes at partial panel NDB approaches when I was prepping for my instrument rating!)

I've always been a big dork--uh, I mean, I have always loved tech stuff. But I was interested in what people who are thinking about upgrading all or part of their panels to glass have in mind. So here's the poll: Assume you are upgrading and you want some glass in there. What do you pick and why?

All my glass is round.

I'm a huge fan of portables with satellite weather, but I have to confess that I never saw the appeal of glass panels. They're inexplicably expensive, there are few assurances of future support, and they take a simple, proven system of independent components and tie them together into a unified and interdependent whole.

In other words, I'm pretty confident that 10 years from now I'll be able to buy a replacement "steam" AI to stuff into that hole in the panel, but I don't have many assurances that when a component of my glass panel dies, that I'll still be able to buy a replacement. I'm pretty confident that when that AI fails, that it won't take any of the other instruments with it, but I'm less assured that there are no single points of failure that can take down my whole glass panel.
-harry

For a steam panel upgrade I'd put in a pair of Aspens, then see if I could add a second alternator and rip out the vacuum system. In an experimental it would be easy. In a certified airplane, not so much.

Back