TEC route question

AdamB

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AdamB
If I find, and plan to file, a TEC route from City A to City B but don't find any
listed TEC routes for the return trip from B to A, is filing the reverse of
what I did on the way down an acceptable thing to do? most likely the route I'll get?

Thanks,
Adam

It varies by the airspace, but your suggestion is generally the case with many TEC routes. Is there a specific route or dep/dest airports you had in mind?

It varies by the airspace, but your suggestion is generally the case with many TEC routes. Is there a specific route or dep/dest airports you had in mind?

Hi Jason,

Pre-planning my route for Wings this weekend coming from LWM (BOS north satellite.)

I was looking at this:
V419 V14 ORW V16 DIXIE V276 ARD

Mostly to keep me over land as opposed to a water route like this:
V419 V14 ORW V308 MANTA V276 ARD

I didn't see anything in the Philadelphia section back up to BOS.

BTW: Hope to see you there!

Every TRACON has its little tricks, but generally speaking, if both airports are within TRACON airspace (including adjoining facilities), you are good to go. TEC just keeps you out of Center airspace.

Bob Gardner

They will probably route you over DPK on long island, then over JFK, and you'll be out over the ocean for a while.
That's what they gave me when I flew to Wings a few years ago.

I'll look up the whole routing when I get home and type it out for ya.

Last edited:
You could always put a plan in on fltplan.com and see what it spits back to you from the center.

You're likely going to get (last assigned route for that flight): BOSOX V419 GRAYM V14 ORW V308 HTO V308 MANTA V276 ARD. As Dave suggested, you may also get a reroute over JFK depending on what altitude you're at. If you're cruising 6,000, it's definitely likely.

You can probably negotiate on the way back. The last assigned ATC route for that flight was PTW direct.

A good place to look this stuff up:

http://flightaware.com/analysis/route.rvt?origin=ZBW&destination=KLOM

If you use a site like fltplan.com, they'll give you the last couple ATC planned routes when you put in your flight info. In addition, you also get the planned ATC route for your upcoming flight about 30-60 minutes before departure time, so writing down the clearance becomes a lot easier.

A question from the west coast: We don't really have preferred routes (published ones, at least) around here, and I've never seen anyone do TEC since you have to deal with center unless you're not going far. It's obviously a different story on the right coast. So here's my question: Why _file_ TEC? I thought the point of TEC was that you didn't have to file. If you're filing, why not just file what works for you?

-Felix

Last edited:
A good place to look this stuff up:

http://flightaware.com/analysis/route.rvt?origin=ZBW&destination=KLOM

If you use a site like fltplan.com, they'll give you the last couple ATC planned routes when you put in your flight info. In addition, you also get the planned ATC route for your upcoming flight about 30-60 minutes before departure time, so writing down the clearance becomes a lot easier.

A question from the west coast: We don't really have preferred routes (published ones, at least) around here, and I've never seen anyone do TEC since you have to deal with center unless you're not going far. It's obviously a different story on the right coast. So here's my question: Why _file_ TEC? I thought the point of TEC was that you didn't have to file. If you're filing, why not just file what works for you?

-Felix

Filing TEC in the Northeast (and albeit in other parts of the country too) usually yields "Cleared to blahblah airport via as filed..." That's not a common phrase up here.

I grabbed the data in my post above (#7) from Fltplan.com. Tim and Ken sure did build a nice site for both being full time pilots. My dad used to work with them at Danbury Airways in the early 80's. I swear by that site to file and to get NOTAMs, TFRs, and QICP Wx.

Filing TEC in the Northeast (and albeit in other parts of the country too) usually yields "Cleared to blahblah airport via as filed..." That's not a common phrase up here.
Makes sense. I guess TEC implies not filing to me, because otherwise it's just a matter of filing the preferred routes, which I imagine would give one a good chance of being cleared as filed.

I grabbed the data in my post above (#7) from Fltplan.com. Tim and Ken sure did build a nice site for both being full time pilots. My dad used to work with them at Danbury Airways in the early 80's. I swear by that site to file and to get NOTAMs, TFRs, and QICP Wx.
It's a nice site. I'm definitely planning on incorporating some of their ideas into my new flight planner project.....

Thanks all for the feedback.

You're likely going to get (last assigned route for that flight): BOSOX V419 GRAYM V14 ORW V308 HTO V308 MANTA V276 ARD. As Dave suggested, you may also get a reroute over JFK depending on what altitude you're at. If you're cruising 6,000, it's definitely likely.

Adam, I have flow LOM to KBOS and back several times and once to PVC and back. I don't agree that you will get the routing that Jason set out above. More likely what Dave Westner said. How they will get you south of Boston I am not sure but your suggested routing is what we have gotten before. They will most likely send you from ORW to CCC then DPK JFK V16 DIXIE V276 ARD D->.

When you file tell them to minimize the over water route. Refuse the MANTA route Down here we will only file that if we are in a twin. It is affectionatly called the Shark route. When you say shark route everyone knows you are going MANTA and out over the water. Way to far in a single. They once tried to give me and Andrew Morrison a route from SEY to int ercept V46 WAY out over the water. We refused it and they accomodated us. The hop from JFK to DIXIE is a short hop and you will always see land and lots of boats.

Just After DIXIE you will be handed off to Maguire App. Before you get to RBV on V276 ask them for D-> LOM good chance you will get it. If not ask Philly APP once you are handed off after RBV. They never send me all the way to ARD.

They once tried to give me and Andrew Morrison a route from SEY to int ercept V46 WAY out over the water. We refused it and they accomodated us.

SEY 221 radial to intercept V46, HTO? That's how they send us when we go to ISP. [/7500]

Adam, I have flow LOM to KBOS and back several times and once to PVC and back. I don't agree that you will get the routing that Jason set out above. More likely what Dave Westner said.

I was only going off of the last assigned route by the ZBW host computer, I've never flown the route before. I would definitely take your experience over what the computer assigned though, it's definitely more valid.

There are so many variables involved, it's difficult to predict what you'll get. Both A90 and N90 are somewhat flexible and will work with you to negotiate a shorter, more direct route.

I guess TEC implies not filing to me, because otherwise it's just a matter of filing the preferred routes, which I imagine would give one a good chance of being cleared as filed.
TEC involves not filing in some parts of the country but not in others. As I recall from my time in the northeast (it may have changed since), it was just a preferred route pair that happened to be entirely in approach control airspace and was filed like any other IFR flight plan. First time I ever heard of not needing to file a TEC was listening to the experiences of west coast pilots like you.

I can't find my low charts. Where are they?
Anyway, the routing was roughly
BOSOX V001 GRIPE V419 BDL KBDR DPK V001 JFK WUNKA COL direct
I did it at 8K.
I can't remember the intersection after JFK, but it was essentially a 10 minute flight over the water.
Have fun.

I can't find my low charts. Where are they?
Anyway, the routing was roughly
BOSOX V001 GRIPE V419 BDL KBDR DPK V001 JFK WUNKA COL direct
I did it at 8K.
I can't remember the intersection after JFK, but it was essentially a 10 minute flight over the water.
Have fun.

DIXIE.

TEC involves not filing in some parts of the country but not in others. As I recall from my time in the northeast (it may have changed since), it was just a preferred route pair that happened to be entirely in approach control airspace and was filed like any other IFR flight plan. First time I ever heard of not needing to file a TEC was listening to the experiences of west coast pilots like you.
Interesting, that's definitely good to know. Yeah, around here, you usually don't need to bother filing TEC, although at some airports, ground control will insist on a filed flight plan anyway. It's seems inconsistent.

Before you get to RBV on V276 ask them for D-> LOM good chance you will get it. If not ask Philly APP once you are handed off after RBV. They never send me all the way to ARD.

Maybe I'll ask for I276 instead, that'll bring me just south of the field. After all I'm supposed to be following roads right? :yes:

Back