Teaching yourself AutoCAD

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
So, I've seen a few engineering majors using AutoCAD for class projects. How hard would it be to teach myself to use the software? I know there are plenty of engineers on here, which is why I figure this would be a good place to ask. Note: I have absolutely no background with the software, it just seems like a fun challenge and a useful application.

Around here most people use SolidWorks. I've had good luck in Autodesk Inventor, and I dabbled in NX/UG at my internship over the summer. The good thing about Inventor is that it's free to any student, and the skills are transferable to pretty much any other piece of CAD software.

Mechanical or Electrical?

If Electrical, AutoCAD electrical still has a big hold on the industrial control panel market. If mechanical, jump to solid modelling SW like Inventor or SolidWorks.

If just for fun, Google SketchUP has a free version that is fun for solid modelling. Lots of tutorials on line for all.

Mechanical or Electrical?

If Electrical, AutoCAD electrical still has a big hold on the industrial control panel market. If mechanical, jump to solid modelling SW like Inventor or SolidWorks.

If just for fun, Google SketchUP has a free version that is fun for solid modelling. Lots of tutorials on line for all.

Just for fun. I'm a business major, but thought it would be a neat way to do some 3d modeling for design projects and such. I'm in a programming course now as well, and like the idea of building more technical skills outside of class.

Play with SketchUp unless you think you can get a copy of Inventor or SolidWorks

The learning curve for SolidWorks is much steeper than for AutoCAD. If you want to do 3D modeling, start with SketchUp.

I still use AutoCAD for quick sketches. SW takes too long if I'm laying out picture frames on a wall. I also drew up several signs in AutoCAD, then actually painted them with a brush. Go ahead, call me old fashioned, but it worked quite well. The big one was 8 sheets of plywood [4' x 8'] side by side, totaling 8' x 32', and I didn't need to adjust any letters where they crossed from one panel to the next. Oh, yeah, I painted one panel at a time on sawhorses, in the corner of the hangar. [see, it's aviation related!]

I'm trying to teach myself the Aspire program, which is 2-D & 3-D drawing and modeling. I have been told it is an auto cad derivative. My problem has been trying to keep my eyes from glazing over, but I have been making progress.....slowly.

I do have a complete auto cad program that is ten or fifteen years old that I've never messed with. I understand it was around a $3,000.00 program originally.

To answer your question, if you have the determination and patience, you can teach yourself most anything. Having a tutor can cut your learning time down considerably I would guess.

When I had my picture framing business, every now and then, someone would come into my shop and proudly show me their latest creation, G-d awful abortions on canvas or paper.

They would then add to my amazement by announcing that they have never had a lesson in their lives. Astounded as I was, I would think to myself, "no sh*t".

I would smile and tell them how great it was, my wanting to sell them a frame for it and all.

-John

AutoCAD is not an intuitive CAD program, and gave me grief learning it by myself back around rev 3. [Rev numbers went to 12 or 14, then started using years, I think in 2000].

To draw, you need to click the icon for what you want to draw [line, arc, circle, etc.]. Then select a starting point [which is often the center of a circle or arc], then move the mouse and select the desired end point.

Drawings will look better if you don't try to visually attach lines to each other, that's what the Snap function is for. Important toolbars are Draw and Modify. There's a whole slew of icons that will start your next line/arc/circle at various points already drawn--the end of a line, the center of a line, the center of a circle are the ones I use most often.

Sorry, this is from memory, just bought this computer two weeks ago and haven't moved my ancient home version of ACAD onto it yet, and the new job I started the week before that doesn't use it, just SolidWorks, and it's much more complex and much more capable.

Good luck, and happy drawing! Try not to get too frustrated, just remember it's not very intuitive. For scale drawing, it is even less so.

LAYER is a handy command, so that you don't get too confused. Make each layer a different color to keep things separated in your mind. Each layer can be turned off for clarity. ZOOM is very helpful to spot things or select the right point; ZOOM PREVIOUS will take you back without losing the selection, which is what UNDO does.

HINTS:
  • Construction lines are of infinite length; learn to use Offset [then enter the desired distance] and draw another line. A third line crosses these two, then use Trim to cut the line to length and erase the construction lines. Voila! A line of desired scale length
  • To draw an angled, click on your starting point and use polar coordinates [formatted @.625<30 will draw a line 0.625" long with the right end elevated at an angle of 30º above horizontal].
  • Or draw a straight line, click Rotate, select the line, click one end [snap to end works well], then either drag the other end around or enter the angle. Positive angles rotate counterclockwise [right end up]; negative angles rotate clockwise [right end down].
  • OFFSET, TRIM and STRETCH are wonderful things!

People still use AutoCAD?

Sure, although our products have 3D electrical networks, the manufacturing method is in layers then lamination, thus a 2D CAD system is perfect for our application. We also run SolidWorks for some things that can only manufactured on the robodrills.

As for learning AutoCAD, I just did it by trial and error, but I had very good experience in other design/drafting systems and thus just had to find the commands and icons I needed. I also only use it now to quickly (IE, bypass design) get measurements in information (head designer is a buddy and gave me read access to the entire data library). Serious design/drafting work formally goes to design.

I liked it when it ran on IRIX(R11 I believe it was). Haven't used it since. Pick up a book and teach yourself. It's "different" but not hard to learn. You'll go crazy trying to figure it out by trial and error.

Hey John,

Did you get your 3-axis router table set up and running? How's that working out for you?

We use AutoCAD and AutoCAD Plant 3D extensively at work here. For free tutorials, www.cadtutor.com has some pretty good stuff. I started off using Inventor in university and loved it, but they have since overhauled the UI on it and I haven't been too impressed. When transitioning, I just took a few days to finish the free tutorials I could find on Cad Tutor and then figured out the rest by trial and error. My company sent me to a 3 day course for learning CAD, but I found playing around for 3 days was far more productive.

Agree that SketchUp is a neat program but it is nothing like AutoCAD. I taught myself AutoCAD with DOS R12, then used Win R14 later at work and they send me to a high-level school but I had already taught myself most of what they had to offer. I rarely use any CAD program any more but still like command line interface. There are free alternatives that are very close to R12/14 if you do not have the software.

In response to "how hard", depends on how well you pick this kind of stuff up. I found it detailed but very learnable but others may find it totally opaque. What is your learning curve with other bits of complex software, say Photoshop?

Last edited:
AutoCAD is still the standard in civil drafting. It's become VERY cumbersome and difficult to use with the latest few releases.

AutoCAD is still the standard in civil drafting. It's become VERY cumbersome and difficult to use with the latest few releases.

Yeah, I used to run it before Windows was the OS and took control of all the keys. We had a config file that would map all the function keys, along with ALT/CTRL/SHIFT+Fn and ALT/CTRL+0-9/a-z along with the standard l for line, etc.

Then it became more "user friendly" and ALT+F4 which used to be (I forget the command we had that mapped to) suddenly caused issues...along with all the other key combos windows steals.

I ended up getting a new and "improved" copy and man did it suck a Tijuana donkey.

So, I've seen a few engineering majors using AutoCAD for class projects. How hard would it be to teach myself to use the software? I know there are plenty of engineers on here, which is why I figure this would be a good place to ask. Note: I have absolutely no background with the software, it just seems like a fun challenge and a useful application.

About as hard as whistling the "Star Spangled Banner" never beraking time or tone....

While sawing off your own leg with a dull, rusty wood rasp and no anesthesia...

I use Solidworks®

Hey John,

Did you get your 3-axis router table set up and running? How's that working out for you?

I have it running and have made some oval picture frames and some assorted signs. My problem is my age and lack of enthusiasm. I had soundproofed my garage, and now it is like a dark cave in there, even though it is well lighted.

I dug out my old analog stereo system and had the speakers repaired, the foam had rotted out. Then my amplifier started smoking, so it is in the shop now. Somebody ripped off my turntable, so I've been looking for one of those. It is a whole lot nicer working out there with some sounds. Next I'm going to make a screen door, so I can have an open door when the machines aren't running, otherwise the creatures keep wandering in.

It is a ***** trying to psyche myself into working when I don't really have to. S.S. pays all my bills and buys my groceries. Not enough to go out drinking and dancing, but then I don't drink or dance anyway.

This thread has already given me some help, so thanks for starting it ebykowsky

-John

Yeah, I used to run it before Windows was the OS and took control of all the keys. We had a config file that would map all the function keys, along with ALT/CTRL/SHIFT+Fn and ALT/CTRL+0-9/a-z along with the standard l for line, etc.

Then it became more "user friendly" and ALT+F4 which used to be (I forget the command we had that mapped to) suddenly caused issues...along with all the other key combos windows steals.

I ended up getting a new and "improved" copy and man did it suck a Tijuana donkey.

Well that and a lot of the "productivity tools" which are useful are paid add-ins, which don't work seamlessly and you're forced to upgrade a bunch of packages at once if you upgrade AutoCAD. You would think for as much as you pay for licensing on the base version, it would incorporate a lot more of these things natively.

The only AutoCad I have seen in years was for wiring diagrams on machines.
As for teaching yourself very doable. I have not used AutoCad for year but it was a little bit of a learning curve to go from that to 3d modeling of other software.
So like other have said depends on what you want to due. If 2d is fine learn AutoCad if you want 3d do not start with AutoCad go straight to a 3d program.

Check around the local junior/community college - they may have a CAD or GIS course that will make it much easier and less frustrating to get started.

+1 for the community college. I took a night course for intro to autocad a long time ago (autocad 10). After that, it was a function of working with it. I use it every day running 2013 now.
Solid works is great if you need modeling.
Some of us still use steam gauges.

+1 for the community college. I took a night course for intro to autocad a long time ago (autocad 10). After that, it was a function of working with it. I use it every day running 2013 now.
Solid works is great if you need modeling.
Some of us still use steam gauges.

Easiest class I ever had in college was an AutoCAD course after I had already been using it at my job for over a year.

I taught myself enough AutoCAD to edit warehouse layouts. I've never started from scratch for anything AutoCAD. I got to the point that I could create new objects and then create objects from a collection of objects, etc. a couple of years ago, but I haven't used it since then.

It's definitely learnable.

I d/l Sketchup last year and figured it out enough that I could plot my garden and then place trees of a certain height around the garden, then use the time of year and location to see where the trees would be casting shadows on the garden throughout the day. That was kind of cool.

The basics of AutoCAD are relatively easy to learn. A community college class would probably be the easiest way to learn but there are step by step books that will show you most of the major commands.

I've been using AutoCAD, Inventor and Solidworks for years.

I used Carlson autocad, it was fairly intuitive and works well, but I had some expert guidance when I learned the basics.

I drew up lot surveys and stuff with CAD when I was surveying full-time. It's a nice skill to have, although I'm not sure what else I could do with it.

Last edited:
I had an AutoCAD course as a college freshman in 1991, and in 1994 taught myself Microstation, which I loved, but I don't think it is around any longer. Cirrus used it, so I bought a book and plowed through it quickly and got quite proficient. Some brains can pick up stuff like that better than others. :) I'd recommend just buying a How-To book for starters and see how you like it. If you think you can do it but need instruction, then look for a community/tech college class.

I don't create in CAD at work any longer, but we use CATIA V5 nowadays in the industry at the big companies. It is complicated and powerful. V4 was terrible in my opinion and I'm glad it is gone. :) Pretty soon I need to find something to use at home for creation and I'm not sure what direction I'll go...

Sketchup looks pretty cool from what I've seen, but I've not played with it yet. A lot of folks at garagejournal.com us SU to work on their new shop builds and layouts with great success. It might be a good place to start.

Back