Teaching books

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
In an effort to become a better flight instructor - I've decided to try and pick up some books on teaching and learning. Maybe knock out one per month. I don't care if they relate to flying whatsoever, in fact I'd prefer they didn't.

I know there are some life long teachers on here -- anything in particular you'd recommend?

Yes, engagement. The less you tell a student, the more they learn. A really good teacher makes his or her student realize things for themselves. The danger is one can be seen to be pedantic or patronizing when doing so.

Yes, engagement. The less you tell a student, the more they learn. A really good teacher makes his or her student realize things for themselves. The danger is one can be seen to be pedantic or patronizing when doing so.

I can say from experience that Jesse has a natural wiley knack for that technique.

Watch you do something that's going to paint you in a corner and then ask calmly some innocuous question that hints at your mistake but doesn't give it away too easily... "Do we seem a few knots slow?" (Cowl flaps open...) Etc.

Have only had a few instructors really good at that. Jesse is. He's pretty good at keeping the smirk off his face when doing it too.

I had one instructor who couldn't help but start smiling when you were screwing something up. Very disconcerting at times. Ha. ("Crap, he's smiling again. What did I forget?!")

Jesse also has a knack for timing simulated failures for right when you're the most comfortable. Heh.

Back