Teach Me About Retractable Landing Gear

Nope. I guess I hire the wrong CFIs. It's hard enough finding a CFI that meets the insurance requirements.

It can definitely be a challenge to find a good and insurance qualified flight instructor, especially with a more unique airplane and in the more rural areas. That said, I'd be a bit disappointed with the training if something like this wasn't discussed. Keep up the good work of trying to understand the airplane systems that aren't clear to you,

It can definitely be a challenge to find a good and insurance qualified flight instructor, especially with a more unique airplane and in the more rural areas. That said, I'd be a bit disappointed with the training if something like this wasn't discussed. Keep up the good work of trying to understand the airplane systems that aren't clear to you,
I get smarter every day. I have now started a landing gear parts spreadsheet starting with what I assume are the wear out items - switches and springs. When my mechanic gets it on jacks next week I'll ask him what else we should be putting on preventive maintenance.

I have to admit, my Johnson bar has its problems. But I don't have to keep an itemized list of anything, it is just that simple.

I spent the morning cleaning the plane's belly since I'm grounded. I then poked around my nose gear well to get more acquainted. I know where my switches are and which springs do what.

20210227_142539.jpg

Got the plane up on jacks and was able to replicate the problem. Turned out to be low hydraulic fluid. Gear swings great now. And yes, we found a small leak in the process to explain the low fluid.

It's nice to be able to listen to the pump and everything while sitting still on jacks instead of it being covered by engine and wind noise.

Back