TCAS Opinion Survey

R

RocketmanFive

Hi All,

I am conducting a survey into the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) as part of an MSc in Aviation Sciences at Everglades University, Boca Raton, Florida.

If you have a few minutes to spare, I would be most grateful if you can complete the 20 multi-choice questions. The survey is anonymous and is being used for entirely academic purposes with no commercial interest.

www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=5ZPUv5O_2fja4qC0uyjK0Ayg_3d_3d

Thank you in advance,

Roger Stafford

Hi All,

I am conducting a survey into the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) as part of an MSc in Aviation Sciences at Everglades University, Boca Raton, Florida.

If you have a few minutes to spare, I would be most grateful if you can complete the 20 multi-choice questions. The survey is anonymous and is being used for entirely academic purposes with no commercial interest.

www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=5ZPUv5O_2fja4qC0uyjK0Ayg_3d_3d

Thank you in advance,

Roger Stafford

This survey has a fatal flaw. On the first page it asks if you have flown with TCAS and then asks you to proceed if you have not done so but aside from the demographics questions the entire survey requires TCAS experience to answer the questions. Don't waste your time on this.

-lance

1. Have you ever flown as PIC or co-pilot on a TCAS I equipped aircraft?
t.gif
Have you ever flown as PIC or co-pilot on a TCAS I equipped aircraft? Yes
t.gif
No

2. Have you ever flown as PIC or co-pilot on a TCAS II equipped aircraft?

t.gif
Have you ever flown as PIC or co-pilot on a TCAS II equipped aircraft? Yes
t.gif
No

If the answer is no to either question, please do proceed to the rest of the survey.

Agree -- survey is busted. It says to proceed if you have no experience with TCAS -- and then it asks you TCAS questions which will force people into selecting something which as a result will trash the data.

Agree -- survey is busted. It says to proceed if you have no experience with TCAS -- and then it asks you TCAS questions which will force people into selecting something which as a result will trash the data.

+1

11,12 and 13 do not have an option for a non-TCAS PIC.

Actually I dont think thats the case...

This is a mechanism to ensure that everyone who starts the survey finishes the survey. It's not going to skew the data, because when its all collected, responses will be categorized by whether or not someone claims experience with TCAS.

By not encouraging testers to proceed, you have an abnormally high number of people exiting the survey or not completing it, and the survey tool will give a total count of people who start... along with an absolute count of the numbers of responses. By having a bunch of blanks, it weakens the survey.

From a study design standpoint this actually makes sense, and in the end, the conclusions will mostly focus on those provided by people claiming TCAS experience.

Actually I dont think thats the case...

This is a mechanism to ensure that everyone who starts the survey finishes the survey. It's not going to skew the data, because when its all collected, responses will be categorized by whether or not someone claims experience with TCAS.

By not encouraging testers to proceed, you have an abnormally high number of people exiting the survey or not completing it, and the survey tool will give a total count of people who start... along with an absolute count of the numbers of responses. By having a bunch of blanks, it weakens the survey.

From a study design standpoint this actually makes sense, and in the end, the conclusions will mostly focus on those provided by people claiming TCAS experience.
If you don't want the data from the question don't ask the question. Anything other than the above only confuses people and can screw with data.

Since we have not heard back from the original poster, do you think the word "not" was inadvertently left out of this question? "Please do proceed..." is not what you would normally write. It would be either "Please proceed..." or "Please do not proceed..."

If the answer is no to either question, please do proceed to the rest of the survey.
Also, some of the questions don't make too much sense. For example, question 6 asks, "Which Aircraft Type Rating(s) do you hold, or have held?" and goes on to list a bunch of aircraft which don't require type ratings.

Back