TC Replacement advice

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Looking to take out the turn coordinator and connect an electric attitude indicator with inclinometer in its place in order to avoid partial panel work when IMC.

Already have the D1 Dynon but it has been very installation sensitive (i.e. velcro to the panel is too shaky and makes it jumpy, plus it requires GPS signal), so I'm trying to go with something more permanent.

Reading horrible things about RC allen electric AIs. These things are supposed to have MTBF of 7000 hours and people are having it give inaccurate bank information and crap out in less than 100 hours! Do the other brands have better reliability? Sigmatek? Mid continent? Castleberry?

My initial plan was to go with the RC Allen 2600 digital AI with inclinometer, but after reading about RC Allen reliability, I'm not so sure I trust their product now. Presumably, the digital one wouldn't require overhaul costs since it's solid state, but it's pricey for something that can't be overhauled at all. An inaccurate electric AI is worse than a TC in my book. I want this thing to be better than the vaccum AI, otherwise it's not really a backup. Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated!

Back