TBM700 down, Urbana, OH

The flight before this one is interesting. Post maintenance?

Less than 4 nm from Urbana Grimes Field (and about 50 nm from me). Gently rolling terrain, long straight sections of a US route to land on, lots of fields around.
It will be interesting to learn the story here.

Medical issue? Pilot trying to land ASAP?
Lost cabin pressure, desent from FL200 to 10K?

The news reported a "mile long" trail of debris, with the only significant ground impact scar being a very narrow one on the east side of US Rte 68. My speculation on this is that the airplane experienced an in flight break up somewhere around 10,000 ft ( approx. 9,000 ft. AGL), which accounts for the abrupt ending of the data transmission seen on Flightaware. Looking at the impact scar, it appears to have been about 1100 ft. SSW of the intersection of Hickory Grove Road and US 68, right next to the driveway leading to a house and what appears to be a couple of out buildings (thanks, googol earth). My guess is that the ground scar was made by the engine and other substantial structure near the nose of the airplane, with the lighter, less dense pieces of wreckage falling into the field to the west. If the airplane had been intact upon an impact of sufficient violence to have almost totally disintegrated the airplane, there would normally be a "smoking hole" and relatively little scattering of debris.

Looking at the Flightaware profile, it appears that upon climbout, there was a significant loss of airspeed and a pause in climb at around 16,000 feet. The pilot may have been distracted by some event at that point (another guess on my part).

R.I.P. the pilot.

The news reported a "mile long" trail of debris, with the only significant ground impact scar being a very narrow one on the east side of US Rte 68. My speculation on this is that the airplane experienced an in flight break up somewhere around 10,000 ft ( approx. 9,000 ft. AGL), which accounts for the abrupt ending of the data transmission seen on Flightaware. Looking at the impact scar, it appears to have been about 1100 ft. SSW of the intersection of Hickory Grove Road and US 68, right next to the driveway leading to a house and what appears to be a couple of out buildings (thanks, googol earth). My guess is that the ground scar was made by the engine and other substantial structure near the nose of the airplane, with the lighter, less dense pieces of wreckage falling into the field to the west. If the airplane had been intact upon an impact of sufficient violence to have almost totally disintegrated the airplane, there would normally be a "smoking hole" and relatively little scattering of debris.

Looking at the Flightaware profile, it appears that upon climbout, there was a significant loss of airspeed and a pause in climb at around 16,000 feet. The pilot may have been distracted by some event at that point (another guess on my part).

R.I.P. the pilot.

It looks like he remained at 20k ft for less than 5 minutes before descending. Could be cabin pressure or hypoxia issues. This appears to be an IFR flight, so ATC audio may have more information.

Was just at Urbana today for breakfast talking with some folks about this. Will be interesting to hear the outcome of the investigation. Seems plane came down under control given the long debris field.

It looks like he remained at 20k ft for less than 5 minutes before descending. Could be cabin pressure or hypoxia issues. This appears to be an IFR flight, so ATC audio may have more information.

I listened to him call departure on the liveatc archives and pick up his IFR clearance. He then got switched over to 135.1 and I couldn’t find that one online.

There's a ground scar on 68 itself.

Here are some more detailed videos/photos:

This is the video link posted by the O.P., Todd82 and shows a good overview of the crash site. My latest speculation is that the major impact occurred in that ditch located near the west side of Rte 68, because just about all the wreckage west of there is pretty well shredded, with little or no impact scarring.
https://www.whio.com/news/local/sta...crash-near-urbana/V24ZT74AZZD7LG6AUHIOZVDLNU/

This video shows some excellent close-ups of the initial impact point. I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of depth of the turf damage, and the lack of gouge marks in the roadway pavement (other than perhaps a slight gouge shown at 0:07). It has been mentioned that these impact signatures were made by a wing tip, which makes sense due to the remarkably light damage to the turf and roadway pavement. The video shows almost no turf damage on the west side of the roadway, and I don't see propeller blade marks anywhere.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...e-crash-in-urbana/BFY3FAOHINFQNJ4MIQRA7ICWKU/

General photos of the accident scene:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/photos-airplane-crash-of-us-68/4PYEIGYRSRD47OP3L2NS5EV3IY/

Here are some more good aerial views:
https://www.whio.com/news/state-patrol/7YD7VJN2URAQTPQPDJ6LE54X24/

In light of these additional photos/videos, I'll have to admit that my initial assessment of the crash was incorrect, and that I was way too hasty in drawing my initial conclusions (irresponsible speculation). I now think that the airplane did not experience an in-flight breakup but encountered the ground largely (if not completely) intact. My confusion over the unusual ground scars could be cleared up by attributing initial ground contact to have been by a wing tip or some other relatively fragile airframe component. The bane of these accident discussions is irresponsible speculation, and I'm afraid that I'm guilty of having indulged in that. I apologize.

Here are some more detailed videos/photos:

This is the video link posted by the O.P., Todd82 and shows a good overview of the crash site. My latest speculation is that the major impact occurred in that ditch located near the west side of Rte 68, because just about all the wreckage west of there is pretty well shredded, with little or no impact scarring.
https://www.whio.com/news/local/sta...crash-near-urbana/V24ZT74AZZD7LG6AUHIOZVDLNU/

This video shows some excellent close-ups of the initial impact point. I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of depth of the turf damage, and the lack of gouge marks in the roadway pavement (other than perhaps a slight gouge shown at 0:07). It has been mentioned that these impact signatures were made by a wing tip, which makes sense due to the remarkably light damage to the turf and roadway pavement. The video shows almost no turf damage on the west side of the roadway, and I don't see propeller blade marks anywhere.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...e-crash-in-urbana/BFY3FAOHINFQNJ4MIQRA7ICWKU/

General photos of the accident scene:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/photos-airplane-crash-of-us-68/4PYEIGYRSRD47OP3L2NS5EV3IY/

Here are some more good aerial views:
https://www.whio.com/news/state-patrol/7YD7VJN2URAQTPQPDJ6LE54X24/

In light of these additional photos/videos, I'll have to admit that my initial assessment of the crash was incorrect, and that I was way too hasty in drawing my initial conclusions (irresponsible speculation). I now think that the airplane did not experience an in-flight breakup but encountered the ground largely (if not completely) intact. My confusion over the unusual ground scars could be cleared up by attributing initial ground contact to have been by a wing tip or some other relatively fragile airframe component. The bane of these accident discussions is irresponsible speculation, and I'm afraid that I'm guilty of having indulged in that. I apologize.
Having driven through there yesterday going to MERFI, I agree with your new assessment. That ditch just west of 68 is rather significant, definitely enough to shred an airplane, and there was still some minor debris in the lower vegetation there. There is also some minor gouging on 68 as you drive over it.

Another thing to note is with the direction of travel, the crash scene, winds, etc. it doesn't look like he was setting up to emergency land at I74. He'd already gone past it, into the wind, and flying east-west across 68 there isn't moving you back towards the airport either.

It would need to be IFR flight being 20k feet - Class A airspace.

Looks like the initial descent started a couple miles east of Hardin County Airport, I95. 4800 ft runway. There was also an airport 18nm to the northwest with a 6000 ft runway.

Based on a POH I found online, from 20k feet the max glide distance is about 25nm which includes a more rapid initial descent to 10k.

Looks like the initial descent started a couple miles east of Hardin County Airport, I95. 4800 ft runway. There was also an airport 18nm to the northwest with a 6000 ft runway.

Based on a POH I found online, from 20k feet the max glide distance is about 25nm which includes a more rapid initial descent to 10k.
For what it's worth an eyewitness said the engine was running just prior to impact. Now normally I'd discredit non-aviator eyewitnesses, but she said she heard it and slowed down her car thinking a motorcycle was overtaking her on the 2 laner 68 BEFORE she saw / knew it was an airplane.

The bane of these accident discussions is irresponsible speculation, and I'm afraid that I'm guilty of having indulged in that. I apologize.

You clearly labeled it as speculation and stated the evidence you were using. I call that responsible speculation.

My cousin worked with him at the local hospital. She heard from his family that he was having a medical incident and was trying to get down fast, but didn't make it. No autopsy because he was buried right away due to Jewish rites.

My cousin worked with him at the local hospital. She heard from his family that he was having a medical incident and was trying to get down fast, but didn't make it. No autopsy because he was buried right away due to Jewish rites.
For his sake then, I hope he was dead before he hit the ground so it was pain free.

No autopsy? That would remove a lot of evidence from the investigation, and I actually know of one case where a Jewish burial was delayed to do an autopsy.

Depends on how observant the family is. Supposed to be within a day.
Yes, but I would hope that the gov't would overrule that, especially if incapacitation was a possibility.

Really??? For a bureaucratic paperwork report??

Does that mean you think all accident investigations are merely "bureaucratic paperwork" reports? An autopsy of a pilot reported by his family to have been "having a medical incident", is absolutely needed. There are lessons to be learned here. Do not allow this pilot to have died in vain.

Regards,
Grog

Does that mean you think all accident investigations are merely "bureaucratic paperwork" reports? An autopsy of a pilot reported by his family to have been "having a medical incident", is absolutely needed. There are lessons to be learned here. Do not allow this pilot to have died in vain.

Regards,
Grog

Nah.

The family’s religious beliefs regarding further desecration of a corpse and rapid burial trumps an Internet forum’s need for closure, especially when the feds are willing to comply.

If this is what his family desires, let them have their peace without causing them more grief and pain. The online speculation won’t stop anyway, with or without an autopsy result.

Mxxx Hxxx Bxxx, age 68, is a much-beloved husband, father, son, brother, friend, and physician caring for many patients over his long career exclusively in the greater Sandusky area. His life was tragically cut short on August 20 while flying his plane, which he loved to do.

Mxxx was the first child and soon-to-be big brother, born in Camden, NJ and living briefly in California before arriving in Dayton to become a lifelong Buckeye. He attended Cornell Heights grade school and briefly Fairview High School, then Meadowdale High School. Pre-med followed at Miami (of Ohio) University, and medical school at The Ohio State University. He interned at Yale New Haven Hospital, then returned to OSU for residency in internal medicine, and fellowship in gastroenterology. After completing his medical education he moved to Sandusky to join a practice in gastroenterology, and never left.

He was an avid fitness buff, running almost every morning before doing procedures and seeing patients. He also loved being on the water in Sandusky Bay and the pond, for water skiing (barefoot and otherwise), windsurfing, kite-boarding, swimming, cycling, and anything that would get him moving in the wind and water.

Wintertime brought many years of alpine skiing, then he never looked back after being converted to a fulltime snowboarder by his little brother.

Mxxx was also a true foodie and gourmet cook, and could always be found puttering around in the kitchen with exotic entrees, his famous Caesar salad, and delicious desserts. He loved to travel and trying new restaurants, but most of all, he enjoyed spending time with his family.

He is survived by his wife Xxx, daughters Xxx and Xxx, son Xxxx, mother Xxxx, brother Xxxx, and sisters Xxxx and Cxxx. And also by Parker, his faithful furry companion, who was always curled up in his office.

Memorial contributions may be made to Erie County Humane Society, 1911 Superior St, Sandusky, OH 44870 or Back to the Wild, 4504 Bardshar Rd, Castalia, OH 44824.

Last edited:
Yes, but I would hope that the gov't would overrule that, especially if incapacitation was a possibility.

What are we really going to learn from this that can’t be speculated upon reasonably? The bigger question is: assuming he had a current medical, why are we still using a system that disincentives pilots from taking care of themselves and being allowed to return to the cockpit when it’s reasonably safe?

I wonder how this was determined... maybe he texted/called them in flight? ATC audio didn't pick up an emergency declaration or anything unless it wasn't part of the recording of course.

Actually, a bit hard to believe someone in that good a shape would just keel over at 68. Yes, it can happen, folks can stroke out at any time. Just a bit of a surprise.

I wonder how this was determined... maybe he texted/called them in flight? ATC audio didn't pick up an emergency declaration or anything unless it wasn't part of the recording of course.
What did ATC pick up for his reason to descend then? Anything? Would probably have needed center and CMH approach coming out of FL200.

Back