TBM 700 Crashes near KMMU

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/small_plane_crashes_on_i-287_i.html

State Police are reporting a plane crash on Interstate 287 in Morris County, near exit 35 in Morris Township.

Lt. Stephen Jones said three people may have died in the crash.
FAA spokesman Jim Peters says the single-engine turboprop had departed from nearby Teterboro Airport when it disappeared from radar. It was a Socata TBM-700.

Shona Sternberg of Hillsborough was about three cars behind where the plane went down.

She said the plane came from the west and smacked down on the highway. Sternberg said she didn't hear any noises but saw an explosion when the aircraft hit the highway.

"There was a lot of fire and big black smoke," she said. "I could smell burning, burnt rubber. You see something happening, you know it's going to crash and you can't do anything."

Police have not released details about injuries or fatalities.

Sternberg, was on her way to Madison traveling north on 287 when she called from the scene. She said the plane looked like it was in trouble before it crashed.

"Something was breaking off the plane as it was coming down. It was coming down fast. It looked like the right wing was breaking off."

The crash appears to have occurred near Exit 34 on the highway, outside Morris Twp., according to 511nj.org, the state Department of Transportation's accident alert web site. The web site is reporting that all lanes of the highway are closed and commuters in the area should expect between 15 and 20 minute delays.
Haven't found any information beyond whats in this article.

Here is a statement from KMMU:

As you may be aware there has been an aircraft accident on Route 287 near Harter Road. This aircraft did not depart from MMU and we believe he was not attempting to land at MMU. At this time we are referring all inquires to the FAA at 718-553-3100. Route 287 is currently closed South Bound and only the shoulder is getting by on the north bound lane.

Couldn't find the audio on liveATC's archives. I did hear some airline folk in the area reporting moderate or greater icing, though.

3 adults, 2 children, and a dog.... Feel sorry for their families at this time of year and yet again, another family is lost. :sad:

Couldn't find the audio on liveATC's archives. I did hear some airline folk in the area reporting moderate or greater icing, though.
It is up now - on the 'interesting recordings' page - airlines were reporting mod-extreme icing in the area as he was climbing up to 17K.

Last radar track on him was 17,400 at 90 kts GS.....whatever happened to them happened fast.

3 adults, 2 children, and a dog.... Feel sorry for their families at this time of year and yet again, another family is lost. :sad:

Reports are that 2 of the adults were investment bankers at Greenhill (NYC), the wife of one, and two children.

Back