Tb-20

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I vowed I wouldn't post until I flew. Superstitious, I suppose.

I flew--a lot. I'm current in the TB-20 again for VFR and IFR.

That's all.

Ben,

I assume the TB-20 is at FDK. What kind of condition is it in? How heavily used - IOW, could it be taken for weekends?

If I move to DC and can't find a hangar within reasonable distance, it might be cost-effective to sell my plane and look at something like the TB-20 or a partnership.

Ugh.

I fly the FDK TB20. It's in good shape with one problem - a weak battery - that they are trying to solve. It's fine for trips and such if you can pay the rate and handle the minimums (2 hr for each weeknight, 3 hr for each weekend overnight).

I fly the FDK TB20. It's in good shape with one problem - a weak battery - that they are trying to solve. It's fine for trips and such if you can pay the rate and handle the minimums (2 hr for each weeknight, 3 hr for each weekend overnight).
Why should there be a variation? That makes no sense. :dunno:

As far as the two hours, that's great considering most. Everyone around here requires three hours a day, everyday it's out overnight.

Ben,

I assume the TB-20 is at FDK. What kind of condition is it in? How heavily used - IOW, could it be taken for weekends?

If I move to DC and can't find a hangar within reasonable distance, it might be cost-effective to sell my plane and look at something like the TB-20 or a partnership.

Ugh.
When would you be planning on moving down to DC Bill?
I may be ending up back there sometime around September.
When I'm down there I fly out of GAI because 1) FDK is far from DC 2) FDK needs a control tower.

Ahhhh... dang it, the capitalist in me failed to recognize that. :redface:

It's not that they can charge more on weekends because people are willing to pay more then, the revenue lost when the plane is unavailable for rental is higher on weekends because that's when more renters are available. The thing about minimum daily hours that always seemed unfair to me is that you ought to get charged only the gross profit portion for any hours below the min that you fly. If you actually flew exactly the min, that's all they'd get because they'd still have to take the cost of fuel etc out of the income. With the typical setup, the fewer hours you actually fly, the more the FBO makes.

Last edited:
It's not that they can charge more on weekends because people are willing to pay more then, the revenue lost when the plane is unavailable for rental is higher on weekends because that's when more renters are available. The thing about minimum daily hours that always seemed unfair to me is that you ought to get charged only the gross profit portion for any hours below the min that you fly. If you actually flew exactly the min, that's all they'd get because they'd still have to take the cost of fuel etc out of the income. With the typical setup, the fewer hours you actually fly, the more the FBO makes.
Both parts make sense.

If they normally get three to five hours rental out of a plane every Saturday and Sunday, it would make sense to charge for the actual flight time. Let's say you are gone both full days and fly only four hours. So, they charge $100 each for those four hours and an additional $25 per hour over that up to their normal five hour rental.

Example: $400 + (6 x $25) = $550

But, I doubt you'll ever see that done.

Thanks, Metz.

Wish I could find a hangar, but (as in most areas) they're few and far between. I thought I had found one but my tail feathers are too wide for the T.

At some point, the economic sense has to overcome the emotional part of keeping a plane...

When would you be planning on moving down to DC Bill?
I may be ending up back there sometime around September.
When I'm down there I fly out of GAI because 1) FDK is far from DC 2) FDK needs a control tower.

Hopefully later this year. It all depends on where I live and where I can find a hangar. If I can't get a hangar in a reasonable time period, I'll have to look at options....

I used to live a mile from KGAI. Yeah, it's convenient, but it's also pretty busy....

Hopefully later this year. It all depends on where I live and where I can find a hangar. If I can't get a hangar in a reasonable time period, I'll have to look at options....

I used to live a mile from KGAI. Yeah, it's convenient, but it's also pretty busy....
Let me know when you get closer to moving back there.
For hangar space you may want to check out Potomac Field down in southern MD.

Ben,

Ugh.

Hi Bill,

I second what Tim said. He has a lot of hours in the TB-20, whereas I only have a few flights. I just love that bird because it is fast and roomy. Like Tim says, though, it is a lot of money.

Here are the rumors floating around FDK:

1) The Trinnie is going away next year because the owner is moving.
2) The flight school will be acquiring a late-model Saratoga
2) The flight school will be acquiring a late-model Seneca.

Again, these are rumors. If true, here are my reactions to each:

1) Waaaaaaaah!
2) I will get checked out in the Saratoga. I have about 50 hours in one, so I really want to do that.
3) If they get a Seneca, I will get my multi rating. Probably they would want 25 hours beyond the rating with instructor in the Seneca, but I don't care. Its a SENECA.

I dunno about the rest of you, I am just glad Ben is back with us (in the sky and on the board).

Ben, your cryptic departure message spooked us pretty good.

3) If they get a Seneca, I will get my multi rating. Probably they would want 25 hours beyond the rating with instructor in the Seneca, but I don't care. Its a SENECA.

It's FOUR DOLLARS A MINUTE. :rofl:

OK, here anyway. $242.50/hr. Add the CFI and sales tax, and it's $308.59/hr. :hairraise:

The Aztec is $30/hr more expensive, but it's on a squat switch. I've always wondered how much it'd be in regular Hobbs equivalent time.

Rental mins here are not only 25 in type (including the ME rating time), but also either 700TT or 100 multi. I think I'll wait for the 700TT. :yes:

Back