TB-20 Fast Ride

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
After last week's checkout, I went up for some practice in this fine, fine bird. The TB-20 is a fast ride--even faster than a Saratoga. There are some quirks, and I had to remind myself of them, but all in all I had a great time. I filed IFR to OKV from FDK because I wanted to get some cruise time. I had a bit of trouble with the AP, but once I got it, it worked great. For some reason, I couldn't figure if it had an alt preselect. That doesn't matter much--I really don't like that feature, because I always like to be very aware of when I reach a desired alt, and I always adjust power and mixture, at a minimum.

I couldn't believe how fast I got to altitude. Even at cruise climb at 4,000 going to 5,000, I was seeing 1200 fpm. Landing at OKV, I decided on trying TO flaps, since I only got one of those in during the checkout. Again, my initial impression was confirmed--landing with TO flaps is neither needed nor desired. The nose is way up, and it is really hard to lose speed. The touchdown was soft, but I had to work so hard to get it.

So I did another landing there, this time with full flaps. You get the nose pitched down for an excellent view of the runway. I bled power off slowly before and during the flare, and had a good touchdown.

Flew back to FDK, and entered the pattern for a mild crosswind landing on 23 (maybe 6 or 7 knots). This landing was such a beauty. I think I finally have the hang of this bird. I like the heavier controls which I feel aid in the landing (as well as instrument flight, or slow flight for that matter). I orginially had thought I would do 2 landings at FDK, but I know when to quit when I am ahead. What a nice ride!

BTW, the news is that FDK is working on getting a Saratoga. It is going to cost a lot to rent, though.

Altitude Preselect is on the main panel - you have to hit the ARM button on the preslect gadget. It can also give you selectable vertical speed as well. You'll find it described in the PIM supplements.

TMetzinger said:
Altitude Preselect is on the main panel - you have to hit the ARM button on the preslect gadget. It can also give you selectable vertical speed as well. You'll find it described in the PIM supplements.
OK, something's definitely wrong, then, because this is exactly what I did. I don't understand. And the vertical speed thing seemed to be doing the opposite of what I commanded. There was an "up" carret accompanied by the desired rate, but it seemed to do the opposite. For example, what would this mean to you: ^ 1000 I thought this would be climb at 1000 fpm, but the trim started going nose down. Whatever, minor, minor problem to an otherwise supercalifragilisticly fun flight in a cool airlplane.

Um... don't know from memory, and I'll test it when I take 9GT to the fly b q, but if you engage VS at 1000 fpm and you're already climbing at 1200 fpm you'll get nose down trim. Other possibility is that the carat was indicating which way the trim wheel should be moving, and the ^ meant forward as opposed to up (I don't think this is the case, however).

Thanks, Tim. I don't know. The trim wheel kept moving down until there was zero climb rate.

wangmyers said:
After last week's checkout, I went up for some practice in this fine, fine bird. .

Amen to that! Sounds like you had a good time.

wangmyers said:
I like the heavier controls which I feel aid in the landing (as well as instrument flight, or slow flight for that matter)..

Heavy, really? What are you used to flying? I found, transitioning from TB9s (the Socata 160-hp fixed-pitch trainer) to Piper Archers that the Archer's controls felt extremely stiff and heavy.

wangmyers said:
BTW, the news is that FDK is working on getting a Saratoga. It is going to cost a lot to rent, though.

I don't doubt it. The good news is... Well, I can't think of what the good news would be. :D

wangmyers said:
I had a bit of trouble with the AP, but once I got it, it worked great. For some reason, I couldn't figure if it had an alt preselect.

Ben, what autopilot is in the plane?

555Juliet said:
Heavy, really? What are you used to flying? I found, transitioning from TB9s (the Socata 160-hp fixed-pitch trainer) to Piper Archers that the Archer's controls felt extremely stiff and heavy.

Actually the controls weren't as heavy as a Saratoga, come to think of it.

I wonder how expensive the Saratoga would be?

Bill Jennings said:
Ben, what autopilot is in the plane?
Kentucky Fried Chicken. I have to get the actual pilot manual. Tim or Jill, do you know if it is available online?

wangmyers said:
Thanks, Tim. I don't know. The trim wheel kept moving down until there was zero climb rate.

OK then you were in ALT HOLD mode, not VS or ARM.

What you should do if you want to climb out and level off at a particular altitude is....
on the KFC150 (KC192 controller)
1. FD - ON
2. Roll Mode (HDG or NAV) selected
3. AP ENGAGE
Right now the autopilot will be maintaining your current pitch attitude and following the selected roll guidance. You can adjust your pitch attitude by using the DN/UP buttons on the left of the KC192, or by using the CWS button and using the yoke to adjust pitch.

4. Then on the KAS297 - dial in the altitude you wish to attain.
5. On the KAS297, press the ARM button. The annunciator on the KAS297 should say ARM.

At this point, the autpilot would maintain your current pitch attitude until you reach your desired altitude, at which point the KAS297 CAPT light would come on, followed quickly by the ALT light on the KC192. You're now in ALT HOLD mode. You can adjust your pitch attitude by the DN/UP buttons or by CWS.

Let's say you wanted a constant rate of change, however, instead of maintaining pitch attitude. After completing step 5....

6. On the KAS297, pull out the inner knob on the right, and the display should change to reflect your current vertical speed. Change this to your desired VS by using the outer and inner knobs. DO NOT PUT THE KNOB BACK IN YET.
7. On the KAS297, press the ENG button - the VS annunciator should light up and the autopilot should trim to the desired VS. Now you can put the inner knob back in.

When you reach your desired altitude, you'll see CAPT on the 297 followed quickly by ALT hold on the KC192.

For quick reference, on the KC297:

The ENG button engages VS hold mode and will sync the selected VS to current VS UNLESS the unit is displaying VS (inner knob pulled out). If the unit is displaying VS that is the VS that will be maintained.

The ARM button will capture the displayed altitude (CAPT/ALT HOLD) when reached.

In the PIM, the Autopilot is in supplement 8, and the KAS297 is supplement 30.

If you want to log some more trinidad time and get more experience with the avionics, why don't you come along and act as a safety pilot for me sometime this month or next? You can ACT as PIC, I'll fly the airplane and talk you through all the ins and outs of the systems, and we can both log most of the time as PIC since I'll be under the hood. If you want to share some of the expenses (not even 50%), I'd be willing to use the Trinidad for my currency instead of a 172.

Tim, thanks for this thorough explanation. I hadn't spend enough time with the supplements, but I have now. That coupled with your post helped me to understand where I was going wrong.

Also, thank you for the offer of having me act as safety pilot. It sounds like a good idea, and I might just take you up on that.

Back