Taxiway markings

nyoung

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan young
A friend and I were discussing the new runway crossing procedures. Ie, something like "Cherokee 62R, exit on Bravo2 taxiway, Bravo to the ramp, cross rwy 4."

Our discussion evolved a bit and we began to talk about runway and taxiway markings. I am curious - are there any airports where taxiway indications are painted on the taxiways (I'm thinking a big Yellow letter A, B, C, etc).

If not, why not? IMHO - it would add to situational awareness for a minimal expense (compared to adding new/more lighted taxiway signs).

We see this kind of thing all over our city streets (turn lanes, crosswalks, STOP AHEAD, speed limits), and of course the runway #s on the runway, so why not taxiways too ?

My airport has a few - mostly on the ramp, but a couple on taxiways near a 3-taxiway+runway intersection. Taxiway signs are much easier to see. The only case where I can see it being an advantage is in the case where there are a number of taxiways headed off in the same direction out of an intersection.

I believe they now have to have the runway number painted on the ground at the hold short line. At Lancaster a few weeks ago they did as we approached runway 8 for departure.

Another issue is that it doesn't obviate the need for signs, because the painted markings can be obscured by snow or even glare off wet pavement at night.

True, it could never be a replacement for signage. But, it certainly wouldn't hurt situational awareness, and the cost would (or at least should) be cheap.

Another issue is that it doesn't obviate the need for signs, because the painted markings can be obscured by snow or even glare off wet pavement at night.

True, it could never be a replacement for signage. But, it certainly wouldn't hurt situational awareness, and the cost would (or at least should) be cheap.
Agreed. Heck, we can make it even cheaper by allowing an organization like the 99's to paint them. Heck, make it a profit center, and allow corporations to pay to advertise next to the markings! "This intersection brought to you my McDonalds!" :)

(I'm just having fun here. It isn't a bad idea at all.:cornut:)

My airport has a few - mostly on the ramp, but a couple on taxiways near a 3-taxiway+runway intersection. Taxiway signs are much easier to see. The only case where I can see it being an advantage is in the case where there are a number of taxiways headed off in the same direction out of an intersection.

It would be a big help in that case, the typical set of signs, some with arrows pointing left or right and some with 45° arrows, all off to the side of a large intersection can be pretty confusing without an airport diagram in front of you.

At my airport I wish they had some indication for the connectors (e.g. A3) that could actually be seen once you taxi clear of the associated runway although markings on the pavement wouldn't help there either. For some reason I can never remember to read the signs as I taxi off the runway on the "nearest exit" but would like to state my exact location when I call ground.

Back