Taxied Behind an RJ

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Other day at CAK I taxied around 60-100ft behind an RJ on push back in the club 152 and man was that a blast! Tower said "can you make it around that RJ" before I went, and all worked out well, but it got me thinking... what would have happened if the RJ pilot had spooled up right then for some reason? Is the jetblast from a small jet enough to flip a small plane like the 52? Even with full right aileron into the wash it gave a nice shake.

If you're close in you can probably be scooted on the taxiway a bit. If it hit you just right and you didn't correct for it, it can probably flip you. My wife has had the Navion blown sideways by a 727 on the cargo ramp while she was on Taxiway Z at IAD. We had a club plane in the APG club inverted by a C-130 up at ILG a while back.

When ATC ask us pilots a question, they are really wanting us to think about what we are about to get ourselves into. Many are watching out for us. Next time, just ask to taxi a little farther away to make sure you are safe. Also ask ATC to let the jet know you are behind them and for them to remain at idle.

I had a citation start up with my 150 parked behind them. I kept the elevator forward and was being pushed around pretty violently. Pretty sure it would have been blown atleast a few feet if I didn't jump in.

Back