"Taxi to" Runway incursion

D

Dan

I see no replies to this thread in the nearly a year since it was begun. I am a new member, and might as well jump in - perhaps somebody else will then do so also.

The following has been told in safety seminars with FAA types present, so I have no fear of retribution at this late date.

I was working on my tail wheel endorsement with another instructor at the school where we both taught in Kenosha, WI. We both 'knew' the airport intimately. Runway 6R, where the incident occurred has a main taxiway on the South side, running full length and a taxiway running along a group of hangars on the North side. As our school was on the South side of that runway, we always taxied on that full-lengh taxiway.

We had just finished fueling on the ramp in the middle of the field, North of 6R/24L. Ground cleared us to "taxi to runway 6R" As we were nearly halfway across the active runway, headed for the taxiway we always used, we heard "GUYS!!!" from the woman on ground control.:hairraise: Both of us immediately turned beet red, as we should have used the short taxiway on the North side of 6R, which we had *never* used and didn't even think of. Not to mention that you never, NEVER cross an active runway enroute to that active runway without permission.

As we both knew the tower staff well, and we did not create a hazard (nobody was on final to 6R at the time), nothing more came of it.

What's the most unsafe condition in aviation? Two CFI's together, one teaching the other on an airport they both think they know intimately...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I went to seminar taught by one of the controllers at GYY and he mentioned that very thing. I could see myself tripping up on that.

You're thinking that you want to go to the intersection at the end of the runway and you forget that you can't cross that runway at any intersection.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back