Taps on Memorial Day

If you don’t have a bugle you can always have Alexa play taps for you.

I played it from our back deck for the neighborhood as we brought in our flag as it got dark. Been doing that for twenty years. Believe it or not, it's one of the hardest things to play...I get choked up emotionally every time, and it messes with your breath support.

I used to play it multiple times a week. Taps is the basis for the Univ of Texas fight song, Texas Fight. But at 3x speed.

Played it correctly, too. No dotted eighth notes.

Bravo.
And a real bugle, not one of the fake electronic ones that Arlington tends to these days.

I still have a trumpet here (it was my grandfather's, though my father wasn't bad on it either). I took lessons in my youth but was never very good at it. I've attempted taps a few times but the highest note always kills me.

The following is a description taken from a post on YouTube....

"Il Silenzio" (The Silence) is of military origin having been adapted from an old Belgian calvary charge. Trumpet player Nini Rosso and Guglielmo Brezza composed the piece in 1965. Russian composer Tchaikovsky used an Italian bugle call to open his Capticcio Italien. The thematic melody of "Il Silenzio" is an extension of the Italian Calvary bugle call. The memorial piece was commissioned by the Dutch and first performed in 1965 on the 20th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands.

Although "Il Silenzio" is an instrumental piece, it contains a small Italian lyric which is spoken.
"Buona notte, amore
Ti vedrò nei miei sogni
Buona notte a te che sei lontana."

"Good night, love
I'll see you in my dreams
Good night to you who are far away."

In a cemetery six miles from the Dutch city of Maastricht are the graves of 8,301 American soldliers who died during "Operation Market Garden." They fought to liberate the Netherlands from the Nazis in the fall and winter months of 1944 - 1945. The Dutch people of Netherlands have chosen to adopt the American, British, and Canadian soldiers who lie beneath the sod in the cemeteries of Holland. The Dutch families have chosen to tend the graves of those men while keeping alive the memory of the soldiers whom they have adopted. Customarily, they keep a portrait of their foreign soldier in their homes in a place of honor. On "Liberation Day," memorial services are held to honor the men who died to liberate the Netherlands. "Il Silenzio" has always been that special piece of music which concludes the memorial service.

Here's the piece. It's not exactly "Taps," but, well.... worth watching and hearing. Hits ya right in the feels, as the kids say...

You can't play Il Silenzio on a bugle. While the main theme starts with a bugle-playable part, it has variations that require operating the valves.

Back