Tapioca's check ride

tapioca

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tapioca
I started the day at 5:00AM, early, well by my standards at least. I did a little more last minute preparation for the flight plan that I had been working on to Mapleton. I wasn't expecting to actually fly there so I skipped the last minute check of the weather, besides the night before showed that there shouldn't be much any weather today. I was more concerned with the winds than anything. I hadn't seen this type of wind pattern before the lower you were in altitude the stronger the winds were until you were below 2,000 feet. At six o'clock I had to get ready to go I wanted to get to the airport by 6:30 because I still had to do the pre-flight inspection and meet with my instructor and have him sign off on the flight and document that I was ready for the tests.

A lot of things were going through my head here as I circled the plane inspecting the wings. Mostly I was trying to remember my first flight just so I could measure the difference between then and now.

As I was finishing up my instructor came out and we did the checklist for the prep of the test together.

"You have the airworthiness documents and registration?"
Its there.
Ok how about the maintenance logs and Airworthiness directives.
Its in the binder in the back.
and so on down the list of things that I needed to bring with me.

Then he said you know this stuff, trust me. Just relax and have fun. Just be sure to let me know how it all turns out. We pulled the plane out together and he had to leave.

I kept on trying to tell myself that this was just another flight, another step. Just do things one at at time and everything will work out. I worked through the start up check list for the plane. Started it up and headed out to the runway.

Then I was off at 7:15 for a 28 minute flight to Ankeny. This was the first dawn flight that I have ever done. The skies where pretty calm but there was a wind and it was pushing me south and west.

As I passed Monroe I could see that the night beacon light was still running at Ankeny airport it was nice to have this additional guide to the airport. But it was turned off a couple minutes later. As I was getting closer to Des Moines, so where the houses getting closer and closer together.

There was a bit of a morning mist that I knew would burn off soon but it did limit what I could see clearly to about 5 miles. I knew that I was within 10 miles to I called that I was inbound for a landing, even though I didn't have the airport in view just yet.

Ankeny is right under the outer ring of the Des Moines Class C airspace, this airspace starts at 2,200 feet and ends at about 4,000. So the last part of the flight needed to be done at 2,000 foot. All around the airport there were radio/cell phone towers and I would be in a perfect altitude to run right into one if I didn't pay attention to where I was going.

Because of the towers, all traffic at Ankeny was to the east of the airport. This means that there is a right handed pattern for runway 36 and 4, a left hand pattern for runway 18 and 22 at the other end. This worked out great for me as I was east of the airport and I knew what the direction of the winds were, as I checked before leaving Pella, so I knew that I wanted to land on 18. This was a bit of a break too because my work at right hand patterns isn't too developed yet.

Made a good landing and headed towards the buildings on the taxiway. There was a good line of them, first there where some Hangers then the FBO, then the FAA building, which was where I was heading. I taxied into their parking lot, thinking how easy this had been so far. I took it as a good omen for what was to come as I went through the shut down procedures for the plan. Stop the engine ok now turn off the radio, ok now turn of the transponder...Hey it is already off. How did I manage that?

Well gee I am glad that this is Class C airspace and not Class B otherwise I would be writing up an incident report rather than taking the check ride. I had 15 minutes to calm down and tell myself not to let this shake me up.

At 8:00 I went in to the FAA building and met the Designated Examiner. We went back to the plan and got all the required paperwork that he gave to one of his co workers to pour over. We went back to the exam room and started talking. It worked out pretty well it was quiet and just the two of us. At about 10:30, he told me I passed that portion of the test. Now it was time to take the practical test.

We took a short break before heading out to the plane. I went through the preflight again this time with him watching. I used the check list. When I was done. I notice the clouds forming in the South. Then I remembered that during the oral test he had given me a current weather report and that it was calling for low ceiling as a temporary condition. I remembered that it was going to be around 2,200 foot and then lowering to about 1700 feet for a couple of hours before starting to clear. I wasn't sure how far north it would go or what it would look like to the west.

I pointed at the clouds and asked if he though that would be a problem, he said that he didn't think so. Anyway we got in the plane and got started. I took off at about 11:15 turned down wind then headed west at that point I could see that the clouds where right with us at 2000 foot and started to get concerned.
I told him "That doesn't look too inviting. I don't really want to go much lower. "
He said "Well lets try 1700 and see how that works."

I dropped down to 1700 and it was better but I still wasn't happy. We were only a couple miles from the airport and I was fighting a strong desire to go back. We crossed over the Sailorville lake and at that point I was sure that I didn't want to press on. So I turned the plane around towards the airport and said
"If we need to go this way lets do it some other time. This wasn't in the forecast that I saw so I have no idea what is ahead of us."

He said "Ok, these things happen. We can try and do some of the take off and landings to see if the weather improves."

Sounds good to me. We did about half of the take off and landings that we needed then he saw an clearing to the north of the airport. We climbed up to 3,300 foot and did the instrument only portion of the test. After I did the turns, and climbs, he did a simulated vacuum out. This was something new. To do this he covered the airspeed indicator, the aditude indicator and the directional gyro and altidude indicator. The only thing I had left was the turn cordinator and the vertical speed indicator and compass. We did some turns then I got the instruments back. After all of this I am pretty turned around what more I have about a 3 mile visibility around be due to the clouds. So of course he hands me the map and asks
"Where are we?"

I looked around and say "Well we are still in Iowa." He smiled and said "Can you be more specific?" I said "Central Iowa." and started to work on getting a proper fix while he was laughing. I found a couple of likely landmarks and started to look at the map. Then he pulled the power for a simulated off airport engine out. So I dropped the map and got the plane's speed to best glide and started looking for a place to land.
I could see to the left and right but there was a cloud in front of us I elected to loose altitude to get a better view. Then he asked what was wrong. I missed that as a que to start to trouble shoot the engine out problem.
After I had a landing area lineded up and the plane headed toward it, I got the power back.

It was time to head back to the airport, I still didn't know where we where but I knew that we where somewhat north east of the airport so I started in that direction. We crossed over a minor river so I turned the plane to that heading. Looked around some more and found a radio tower then a town and finally Highway 35. As we passed a town I told him what I though the name of the town was. He said that was good enough for him.

A couple minutes later I could see the airport and I was lined up with a runway.
Here is where I came close to busting the ride. I wasn't sure which runway it was and I just keep my heading toward it we were well within the 3 miles out mark and I didn't see any traffic and the Examiner was cautioning me about people making IFR landings at the airport. So I was looking around for traffic then I worked out that first I was heading upwind on the downwind leg of the pattern and there was a plane on the active runway taking off. At this point I decided that the best course would be to over fly the runway and hook up to the pattern on the otherside. At I turned toward the airport the examiner got nervous and started to take control of the airplane. Which made me nervous not because if he did it would end the ride, but because I was certain that he was not aware of the plane taking off. So I told him there is a plane taking off and that the best bet is the follow him out. He looked supprised and then sat back and said ok your plane.

We finished with the last couple required landings and then went to the taxiway. At this point I wasn't worried about if I passed or failed the test. It was wierd feeling, on one hand I knew that I did all of the required manuvers correctly but I was still pretty sure that the approach to the airport was going to bust the ride. All that I could really think about is how I could have done that differently.

I shut the plane down, got out and just stood there leaning on the plane replaying that whole approach I had a lot of options. He asked me what I was thinking, and I told him that I was just going over the approach and how I could have done it differently.

I didn't want to turn away from the airport for a couple of reasons, first all traffic is to the east on the side that I was on. Normally when I am not sure of my position what I would do is fly over the top of the airport to get my bearing and check out where the wind is. but the ceilings right now would put me at pattern altitude and that means I would risk interferring with what ever traffic is out there.

I didn't want to stay on the side that I was on because I was pretty much on the down wind leg going upwind. The only thing that I could think of doing that was safe was following the inactive final until the plane took off then treat it as a go around.
How I would do this next time is was once I see that I was aligned with an inactive runway pull away at once and get my bearing down a little better so that I could make a better decision on how to do the approach.

That was when he told me I passed the check ride. He told me that if I had done that at a controlled airport it would have been a violation. That was when I told him if I ever get this close to a controlled airport it would be a viloation.

Then he said "Just remember that this is a license to learn."

So now I have a piece of paper in my wallet that says I have the right to continue to learn how to fly.

Lessons learned:
Too many to count. However I would recommend not skimping on the cross country weather report on the day that you are scheduled to take you check ride. I think that the other big one I already explained.

It would also be a good idea to keep the airport layout handy, I put mine in my bag after I arrived. When I needed it, I didn't have time to dig for it.

Finally for those that are curious why it would be a violation for me to be in controlled airspace, I am deaf...NORO between the ears.

Great writeup, and congratulations! I really like how you took control a couple of times and basically told him who was PIC on that flight. You showed good reasoning and conservative judgment. Could you have done some things better? Certainly. I can say that after just about every flight. Now go out there and use that Certificate to Learn! (Beating EdFred to the punch here! :))

Can't add much here, except my own congratulations. Enjoy your "license to learn".

Ankeny is right under the outer ring of the Des Moines Class C airspace, this airspace starts at 2,200 feet and ends at about 4,000. So the last part of the flight needed to be done at 2,000 foot.

I was wondering why you didn't call 'em up and get flight following, until...

Finally for those that are curious why it would be a violation for me to be in controlled airspace, I am deaf...NORDO between the ears.

Well, I guess you can be forgiven. ;)

It would also be a good idea to keep the airport layout handy, I put mine in my bag after I arrived. When I needed it, I didn't have time to dig for it.

FAA's big on that, especially for checkrides, so you kinda lucked out. A local DPE got hammered on for not making the examinee on his observed checkride have an airport diagram out even though the examinee always flew at that airport. :eek:

I dropped down to 1700 and it was better but I still wasn't happy. We were only a couple miles from the airport and I was fighting a strong desire to go back. We crossed over the Sailorville lake and at that point I was sure that I didn't want to press on. So I turned the plane around towards the airport and said "If we need to go this way lets do it some other time. This wasn't in the forecast that I saw so I have no idea what is ahead of us."
I shut the plane down, got out and just stood there leaning on the plane replaying that whole approach I had a lot of options. He asked me what I was thinking, and I told him that I was just going over the approach and how I could have done it differently.

The above are what shows that you'll be a great pilot. :yes: Good work!

Kent
Thanks for your comments :)

Quote:
Finally for those that are curious why it would be a violation for me to be in controlled airspace, I am deaf...NORDO between the ears.
Well, I guess you can be forgiven. ;)

Well I thought it would be a question that needed to be explained. :D

Quote:
FAA's big on that, especially for checkrides, so you kinda lucked out. A local DPE got hammered on for not making the examinee on his observed checkride have an airport diagram out even though the examinee always flew at that airport. :eek:

I am still kicking myself for that. But it seems clear that you can get into a routine, like only having the planned destination information on hand and ready for use but leaving the departure point information in a secondary location that is not as accessable. This was the critical link in the chain, if I had the diagram out I would have seen much sooner where I was and could have provided myself a lot more options than I ended up with. All I can say is; Never again.

Last edited:
Wow . Great write up.
How were you communicating with the DE? Does he do sign language, or do you lip read or...?

Wow . Great write up.
How were you communicating with the DE? Does he do sign language, or do you lip read or...?

I gave him a small white board to write on in the plane, since I am post lingual, I don't have a problem with being understood when I talk. It worked out real well.

For the oral portion of the test I had to lip read. The contitions for the test were optimal for me he was less that 4 four feet away we where in a small room and there were no real distractions except for his shirt... blue and white vertical pin stripes. :eek: Visually very distracting because of the illusion of movment it provides.

Congratulations, Pilot!!

That's a great story of a checkride you told, Tapioca. I'm very happy for you!

JOOC, with being deaf, does mean that you make position reports, and cannot hear responses? Or do you skip the position reports usually also?

Congratulations, Pilot!!

That's a great story of a checkride you told, Tapioca. I'm very happy for you!

JOOC, with being deaf, does mean that you make position reports, and cannot hear responses? Or do you skip the position reports usually also?

Thanks after reading so many checkride stories from others here and the fact that I didn't stumble over this site till much later in my training. I felt that I owed a good story.

I do make position reports. The postfix that I use is transmit only at the end, the idea is to let other people know that I won't respond to calls made to me.

I do stumble a bit on my calls at times but I am working on it.

Great write-up and congrats!!

From one Iowan to another -- welcome to the land of the perfect sunsets! :D No better way to see them than from the air. :yes:

Very good write up Tapioca, Good on you for recognizing your mistakes. the PPL is a license to learn. Enjoy your ticket! I know you will.

Have you ever read the book Flight of the Gin Fizz by Henry Kisor? It is a great book about a deaf gentleman who learned to fly and a memorable cross country flight he took retracing the route ( for the most part) of another deaf pilot who flew across the US in a Wright flyer. It is a great story.

Also as I recall he did fly into Delta Airspace. I think he called in advance for permission told them when he'd be there and used light signals to communicate. He was also post lingual so he could speak to the tower but not hear them. He had a little light rigged in his Cessna 140 to flash when others were on the radio so he did not step on them.

Again Good Job Pilot!

Thanks Chris. Sunsets in Iowa are something to look forward. I do have to admit that I found the sunsets in Az something too...or am I being heretical again? :dunno: :D

Thanks Adam.

No actually I haven't read the book. I will start to look for it now. I am working on getting a similar light installed on my plane and have been putting my hand on the headset to check if someone was talking or not. I can feel the vibrations when someone is talking that way.

great work! glad that you enjoyed check flighting with John. I sent him his first private checkride and it went OK, the guy passed! :) sounds like you had a really wonderful checkride and heck ya you should come away learning a little something. where in Iowa do you fly? I bounce between Cedar Rapids (Green Castle) and Ames.

Good info, another question though. How do you ensure that you are not stepping on someone else when you transmit?

Good info, another question though. How do you ensure that you are not stepping on someone else when you transmit?
Most transceivers display an "R" when a signal exceeds the squelch level. He just has to be more vigilant than the rest of us and perhaps make calls more frequently on position.

No biggie, you're better off than some of the pilots I know who are NOBRAINO between the ears.... Congrats on the ride, have fun and fly safe.

Oops! :hairraise:

Tom, Thanks for alerting me to that before I make any more insults! :)

No worries :D In order to avoid a poll (Is Tap from Mars, Venus, or other?) I am a guy. The name was inspired from the bowl of pudding Calvin left in front of the television set one early morning.

I am working on getting a transmit light installed on my plane.

Right now I have been putting my hand on the headset to check if someone was talking or not.

I can feel the vibrations when someone is talking and avoid stepping on them that way.

Thank you every one. I was planning on trying thank each of you. But I am getting behind and I don't wanna miss anyone. :)

ah, pella. well have you seen the threads about the PoA fly in in Ames on October 27th? Its in the "Cool Places to Fly" section and you should definitely come!

wait, that was the one where the tapioca turned into a monster?

(of course, with Calvin, EVERYthing turns into a monster!) :D

No worries :D In order to avoid a poll (Is Tap from Mars, Venus, or other?) I am a guy. The name was inspired from the bowl of pudding Calvin left in front of the television set one early morning.
Okay, Tom stuck his foot out there and I tripped again! Tom, don't do that!!! :p

Tap, Since I don't know ya... Welcome to the board and a special congratulations on your new "green card." :cheerswine:

Allow me to also add my congratulations on becoming a pilot! BTW, that was one great write-up.

Great write-up! If you don't mind me asking, who was your instructor in Pella? I went to school with Jeff and last time I talked to him it sounded like he was staying pretty busy. Hope to see you at the midwest fly-in!

Great write-up! If you don't mind me asking, who was your instructor in Pella? I went to school with Jeff and last time I talked to him it sounded like he was staying pretty busy. Hope to see you at the midwest fly-in!

Well there are two Jeffs at Pella. My instructor is the one that flys for Pella among other things. Is this who you are thinking about?

Thanks for the comment.

Well there are two Jeffs at Pella. My instructor is the one that flys for Pella among other things. Is this who you are thinking about?

Thanks for the comment.
I know the really tall Jeff who seems to fly in a Cirrus quite a bit.

Back