Tapatalk Sold

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Attention Tapatalk Users

I got this email today from another forum I subscribe to and visit via Tapatalk:

Hi XXX,

We originally granted Tapatalk access to our forum in order to provide a better mobile experience for our members. Last month, Tapatalk notified us that they are changing ownership. After reviewing their service, other forums’ experiences, and member feedback, we have decided to wind down Tapatalk’s access to XXX Forum on Sep 21, 2023. This means that XXX Forum will no longer be available on Tapatalk after that date.

Pretty vague explanation, wonder if we will see any changes in Tapatalk...

I saw that too from a sailnet forum, they make a sound like it’s work for them, I don’t know why.

Yeah, I got the same email from a home audio forum I used to frequent. TapaTalk is good, but ever since they sold they started with these audio advertisements that play at random and have no way to shut it off (other than turning the volume all the way down). They are trying to get people to upgrade to the paid "Pro" version, but I bet it backfires and they end up with nothing in the end.

What's scary is that the public is no longer the customer base. The public is now the product which is sold. This will continue until people decide they'd rather pay for a service than be sold to advertisers...

What's scary is that the public is no longer the customer base. The public is now the product which is sold. This will continue until people decide they'd rather pay for a service than be sold to advertisers...
The internet has been that way almost since Day 1. If there wasn’t profit in it, there wouldn’t be any way to keep it going and provide the websites we all want.

"on brand" with everything else :/

Reactions: JEB
The internet has been that way almost since Day 1. If there wasn’t profit in it, there wouldn’t be any way to keep it going and provide the websites we all want.

"You will own nothing, and be happy."

Except that most of the websites I want seem not to exist.

VerticalSport is one of the largest owners of forum parent companies. The same language is found in emails to members of about 3,000 forums.

VS also owns the fora app, which is what’s being offered as an alternative for the forums shutting off support to TaT. Fora is $49/yr.

VerticalSport is one of the largest owners of forum parent companies. The same language is found in emails to members of about 3,000 forums.

VS also owns the fora app, which is what’s being offered as an alternative for the forums shutting off support to TaT. Fora is $49/yr.
I think the parent company is actually VerticalScope

And VirticalSport is their sports related forums...

VerticalScope is a Canadian company.

I used Tapatalk for a short time years ago but found it lacking compared to the full-up webpage experience on my laptop, so I eventually stopped using it.

This year I became the admin of a new Xenforo 2.0 forum and considered whether to enable Tapatalk access. After using Xenforo's native mobile interface for a few weeks, it seemed like it was fully capable and very easy to use, so it didn't seem like there was a need for Tapatalk. So far I've had only one person request Tapatalk support, and they didn't seem overly disappointed when I told them I didn't have any plans for that.

Doesn't seem like a huge loss to me.

Yeah, I got the same email from a home audio forum I used to frequent. TapaTalk is good, but ever since they sold they started with these audio advertisements that play at random and have no way to shut it off (other than turning the volume all the way down). They are trying to get people to upgrade to the paid "Pro" version, but I bet it backfires and they end up with nothing in the end.

I get zero ads or any audio that plays on Tapatalk. Maybe I already upgraded, basically to support the app I use daily, IDK. Tapatalk serves me well as the one place to go for almost all of my forums and if they sold I haven't seen and difference. I guess that is why it surprises me forums are dropping. But now I know it's just the competition...

Yes some out fit, has been buying forums, getting people to moderate for free, collect advertisement dollars etc. then they buy a tapatalk competitor that will do almost the same thing, charge $49 a year to use their app. And disable competitors app access. Maybe a anti trust suit is in order.

I get zero ads or any audio that plays on Tapatalk. Maybe I already upgraded, basically to support the app I use daily, IDK. Tapatalk serves me well as the one place to go for almost all of my forums and if they sold I haven't seen and difference. I guess that is why it surprises me forums are dropping. But now I know it's just the competition...
Yeah if you already paid then I'm sure you don't get the ads. The ads started popping up about a month ago. I don't have any problems supporting them, but I'd be reluctant to do it after several forums have been dropping them altogether.

Last edited:
I paid the $10 or $12 lifetime fee a bunch of years ago as I use it daily for multiple forum use. No ads and overall it’s been pretty solid. When it gets funky, their support has been very helpful. Competition is good, but $49/year is a hard NO. Going back to using a ‘browser’ for multiple forums would suck and be a big step back.

Tapatalk is a monumental cluster-fudge as far as support for the site admins goes. Their plugin for XenForo has serious bugs, which causes it to break at times (when I need to put the site into development mode). They essentially told me "big effing deal" when I asked them to fix it (it's wrong all the time, it just happens to work other than in that mode).

If it costs us, or it breaks without being fairly easy to fix, TAPATALK is the first feature of this forum to be removed. You have been warned.

Back