Tandem seating and XC (RV8 particularly)

PilotAlan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PilotAlan
So, the wife wants something faster :yes:
This Thanksgiving trip to FL was awesome, but she is tired of 122 knots.

We are thinking of an RV8, but I haven't been able to find info online on flying long XCs, and cockpit management.
Where do you put water bottles, snacks, etc? With her in the back, where can she put her book, etc?

Paging Jay and Mary Hoeneck!! Jay and Mary, please report to the Red RV8 phone

So, the wife wants something faster :yes:
This Thanksgiving trip to FL was awesome, but she is tired of 122 knots.

We are thinking of an RV8, but I haven't been able to find info online on flying long XCs, and cockpit management.
Where do you put water bottles, snacks, etc? With her in the back, where can she put her book, etc?

The right seat of the RV-6, 7, or 9 is generally more passenger friendly than the back of an RV-8, so if you're trying to score the most points with your wife, you may want to look in that direction.

That said, with any of the RV's, you are wide open to add whatever side panels, cup holders, etc. you want. There is room for those things in all of Van's designs except the front of the RV-3 and the back of the RV-4.

Grab yourself a 2-3 hour XC flight in the back pit of an RV-8 and then see if you still think it's a good idea.

The right seat of the RV-6, 7, or 9 is generally more passenger friendly than the back of an RV-8, so if you're trying to score the most points with your wife, you may want to look in that direction.
She's actually interested. She's short and can't see over the panel of the Cherokee, and can only see out her window. She actually likes the back seat for better vis. The bubble canopy is appealing to her.
That said, with any of the RV's, you are wide open to add whatever side panels, cup holders, etc. you want. There is room for those things in all of Van's designs except the front of the RV-3 and the back of the RV-4.
Cool. My google-fu could not find a single post or page on this topic on the whole internet.

Grab yourself a 2-3 hour XC flight in the back pit of an RV-8 and then see if you still think it's a good idea.
It wouldn't be for me ;). She's short.
I plan on getting her a ride in the back and see if she's ok with it.

6 and 7 are too narrow. We are both broad in the shoulders, and need a little more space, and need something pushing 200mph.

My wife enjoyed XC in the 8, she kept a book bag with her and set it on the floor, once in flight she could get out whatever she wanted and didn't have to worry about things getting in my way. Most of the stuff was in her lap or on the floor. I had a cup holder for me and my knee pad, not much room for anything else. When she wasn't with me I would use the rear foot wells to store anything I needed. Its a good all around airplane. Doesn't come close in comparison to the 10 for XC's but it doesn't burn 14 gallons a hour either.

An RV-14 would give you plenty of room.

While I like the looks of a tandem better, for passenger carrying, side by side just makes more sense. Too hard to explain to your passenger about what you're doing up front. All they get to see is the back of your head. Usually no instruments in the back to look at. If your ICS goes out you'll be yelling where as side by side you can use mostly hand signals. Easy visual transfer of controls with side by side. Side by side your passenger can access items in the cargo area behind you. Side by side without a passenger, you can put maps, food, etc on the seat next to ya.

You're not going to be cramped in an 8 but on long XCs, access to items will be more of a problem

It wouldn't be for me ;). She's short.
I plan on getting her a ride in the back and see if she's ok with it.
35 years of marriage to the same long-suffering woman tells me to make sure that ride is as long as the XC's you plan to do in it. What she'll tolerate for half an hour may not work for three hours.

What ever you get, make sure it has a good back seat heater outlet. For instance, a stock Super Cub will blast out the front, just to give a tiny amount of "heat" to the back.

Your wife will appreciate it!

What ever you get, make sure it has a good back seat heater outlet. For instance, a stock Super Cub will blast out the front, just to give a tiny amount of "heat" to the back.
Your wife will appreciate it!
Already thinking about it. There's lots of ways to improve heating airflow to the back.
Plus, on VAF, a guy took the seat heater from a Volvo and installed it in the back. Wife throws a blanket over her and hits the seat heater. Draws 2 amps on max, wife is happy.

While I like the looks of a tandem better, for passenger carrying, side by side just makes more sense. Too hard to explain to your passenger about what you're doing up front. All they get to see is the back of your head.

I've owned two tandem aircraft in the past - two Citabrias.

I've also owned a few side-by-side.

My ex-wife never protested cross-countries in the back of the Citabrias.

Karen, my current wife, does not seem to mind the back of the Sky Arrow:

8294451946_156f4dc021_z.jpg

4557049815_2fab565d7c_z.jpg

In the Sky Arrow, the wing is far enough back that it does not feel like a cave back there. Also nice is that the passenger's seat is higher than the pilot's giving a decent view both ahead and of the panel.

A year ago October, we made a trip from N GA to Page, AZ - 30+ legs (with side trips and weather) and no complaints!

8103750428_4aa563bc09_z.jpg

No doubt, many will prefer side-by-side, but tandem works for us!

Last edited:
Back