Talon Air Hawker Vs Tobago FRG 6/7

neilki

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
neilki
Kudos to a Talon Air Crew & Tower Controller at a busy FRG this evening. The Hawker crew noticed a TB10 prepared to take off with the pitot tube cover attached and with the help of FRG tower spent 10 minutes conveying the message to the TB10 driver who was clearly at the limits of his experience. While the controller who obviously had personal flying experience repeatedly gave permission for the TB10 driver to shut down and pre flight his aircraft; the Talon crew were extremely professional and forceful in stating "Do not let that Aircraft Depart!"
i was bouncing around in the pattern above with a favorite student watching & listening to this all unfold, thanks the vigilant & sharp eyed Hawker crew and an engaged controller an inexperienced Tobago pilot possibly many others are alive and well tonight.
This will never make news, but the terms Professional & Pilot sit well together this evening.
neilki

Crazy story. What a beautiful day to fly yesterday was in the northeast and FRG is busy on a bad day to fly so yes that's super vigilant by all involved!

All gotta look out for each other.

KFRG got a kick a$$ controllers. Most are very good at what they do.

Do you remember when was this? and was it on 118.8 or 121.6?

Think in this case the credit goes to the Hawker rather than the controllers, don't you think?

Why did it take 10 minutes?

"N123, another aircraft reported your aircraft's pitot tube appears to be covered."

I was number two for take-off at KFAT years ago. An old beat up Navajo cargo was in position. It kind of looked like his crew hatch door wasn't latched, but with the terrible paint job and grease, I couldn't be sure. He was cleared for take-off and as soon as he rotated, the door popped open. He made it around OK, but I vowed I'd never let that happen again. Since then, I caught several TO & Landing incidents, and jumped on the mic whether I was sure or not. One MU2 in low vis came across the threshold with the gear up, another aircraft was dragging the chocks on his mains.

Last edited:

Do you remember when was this? and was it on 118.8 or 121.6?
Tower (i was in the pattern, around 7pm)

@Brad Z
Read my original post re: the TB10 driver. Had he been a customer (student or renter) at my school i would have instructed him to Return to Base.
While not wanting to appear rude or disparaging to a fellow aviator; perhaps this individual and the community at large would be best served by a substantial amount of additional training.
Is that 'read between the lines' enough? :)

About what time? I'd like to listen to the LiveATC archive.

Back