Tall Pilots

Update....sat in my dad's new Skylark today. '60 model. Comfortable, but my 6'6" frame definitely seated in headliner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. Since there's a thread for left handed pilots (I am one) I thought I'd start one for the tall ones out there.

What planes are most comfortable to fly for those above 6 feet?

I'm 6'2 and quite comfy in a Skycatcher (C-162) or a Remos G3/GX. getting in and out is a bit clumsy but once in I'm fine.

6-4 and I love the SR22. I still have 2 clicks of seat travel rearward and recline the seat 1 click. Side stick is great also - no yoke to get in the way.

Hate the high wing stuff, cant see out the sides since my eyes are above the side windows. Spent some time in the DA40 and that was not much fun either.

This is awesome. Thank you all!

The wild deviations shown above hint at why the military have height restrictions, both standing and sitting ... 2 different folks that stand 6'2" may differ greatly in sitting height.

Me? 6' nuthin and haven't gotten airplane claustrophobia yet.

6'5" 200. Flew a Mooney m20k confortably with seat all the way back. C182 is an easy fit with plenty of headroom.

6'4", 300#. Proportional torso/leg length, those with long legs and shorter torso or vice versa may have different results.

Most comfortable planes I've flown:
Mooney: M20J, M20R. Al Mooney was 6'5" and built himself an airplane.
Cessna: 182, R182, 310.
North American: P-51D Mustang
Piper: PA32R Saratoga/Lance, PA34 Seneca, PA24 Comanche, PA30 Twin Comanche, PA23 Apache/Aztec

Average:
Boeing: PT-17 Stearman
Cessna: 172, 180
Evektor: SportStar
Piper: PA28 series
Diamond: DA40. FWIW, I fit fine in a 2006 model that has had the canopy replaced with a 2008+ canopy. Legroom was lacking in the 2001-2 models, increased in 2003 and again in 2004. Canopy was redesigned for increased headroom in 2007 with the DA40XL. I'd be OK with an in-ear headset with the short canopy.

OK, once you're in the cockpit:
Beech: King Air 90 and 200
Cessna: 400 series
Extra: 300L. Had trouble getting my knees under the panel on the way in/out.
Hawker: 800. Just had to step over the console, so not bad.
Piper: Malibu series (one of the toughest to get into), J-3 Cub, PA18 Super Cub (All the Cub variants, incl the CubCrafters ones - Sit on the very aft end of the door sill. Swing your legs in, pull yourself into the seat using the frame tubes.)
Citabria
Husky

Tight Squeeze:
Beech Bonanza/Baron - Due to the rounded upper cabin cross section, I bump my head. A lot.
Blanik L-13 - I'm sure someone will post pictures of my first attempt to do this. :rofl: Went in the back seat which worked OK.

Forget it (Tried to sit in these, couldn't fly them):
Cessna 150/152 - Knees in the yoke and on the throttle with the yoke level and throttle at full.
Diamond DA20: Would have to lop off the top 4-6 inches of my head to get the canopy closed and my neck straight at the same time.
Columbia 300: Sitting in the left seat, I was looking at the upper curve of the door frame. Nope.

6-2 @ 210lbs. Only aeroplane i've ever sat in to that gave me a nope is the KR-2.

Smallest aircraft i've flown is the BD-5G which was surprisingly comfortable !

All the usual stuff has been fine, Cessna 100/200/300 series, PA28, 34 etc... RV6/7 can be a bit tight with 2 good size guys in there.

6'4" at 225lbs and so far the A321 is most comfortable for me.

Go for the 777.. much bigger cockpit and you have 180' to stroll back to use one the of the 6 or 7 lavs.

I vote for the Tampico/Tabago/Trinidad, though. Comfortable ride for this 6'4" frame.

6'3" 270 and I fit just fine into any of the 172's I've been training in.

I'm 6'1" but am so used to feeling somewhat cramped when flying that I don't mind it anymore. I actually prefer the Cub to the Champ.

C150 is a bit hard to get into, but once in everything is fine.

6'7" 180lbs.

C177RG was easy to get in and out of without having to tuck my knees under my chin and had plenty of room once inside.
C182/182RG are good for broad shoulders as well as tall, though not as easy in/out as the 177RG.
RV-10 is by far the roomiest (both width and height) and most comfortable I've flown so far. Getting in/out isn't bad once you learn how to step down and slide down the back of the seat. No biggie at all. In fact, I have ridden in the back seat of the RV-10 sitting behind my dad (6'5" himself) and had no issues with space in the back seat either.

Back