Tall guy in a T-Craft?? Any local planes in the Bay/Sac area?

audiododd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dodd
Hello all,

Are there any tall folks out there that fly a Taylorcraft BC-12D? I have the opportunity to get one in good shape for cheap, but I'm 6'3" (long legs, but fairly thin), and want to see if I'll fit in the thing. Also, does anybody have, or know someone that has, a BC model Taylorcraft in the SF Bay/Sacramento area that I could take a look at/try to wedge myself into.

Here's some background: I'm a student pilot with about 100 hours (yeah, I know...but life got in the way of training several times and I had to restart a few times) and am working on my checkride prep right now. I'm no stranger to taildraggers however, having logged about 50 hours (about 30 solo) during training in a C120. My dream plane (within some semblance of reality) is a Cessna Cardinal. My wife is disabled and those big, low doors would make getting in/out a dream for her. I doubt she'd fit too well in a T-craft, but I could always rent a 172 or something for any trips with her if it's too hard to get in.

That being said, I don't have the $50-60K for a Cardinal right now, but if I'm willing to fly it (or get it flown/transported) across the country, I can get this BC-12D for a song. There's no electrical system, so I'd be using handheld comms and flying around/under class Bs and Cs. I'd eventually like to get my instrument rating, but I've got to build some time first anyway.

What are your thoughts on building time (especially X-C time) in a T-Craft and do you think I'd fit? Also, flying it literally cross-country sounds like quite the experience, but it's about 25 hours (plus time for fuel/food/bathrooms) and I'd have to take a week or more off work to do it.

Thanks!

You also need a transponder for flying around/under Class B and C. 14 CFR 91.215(b)(4). Many of the transponder regs have exceptions for aircraft not equipped with electrical systems, but that one doesn't.

IMO, the flight you're talking about is VERY ambitious for a student or new pilot. Crossing the Sierra by itself should be giving you massive pause at your level. And doing it with no long-range radio is something I wouldn't even consider.

And I think you're overestimating the power of a handheld radio. I can barely make out someone else using one from the same traffic pattern.

Hi Dodd,

You might want to post on the 'Taylorcraft Forum' also. Very active group.

Picked up my 1939 BL T-craft in North Dakota and flew it back to Maryland.

You might find with your build that you are looking at the wing roots when you look to the sides, but the seat sling is somewhat adjustable.....

As one of my Rose Parrakeet friends says about big guys fitting into the small biplane " It's a matter of desire" :D Let us know what you decide.

Howard

Mak - yeah, I wouldn't try something that ambitious solo. I'd want a more experienced pilot along. I know what you mean about the handhelds. This has an external antenna, but you're still 1/4 to 1/2 the power of a panel mount.

I thought if an aircraft was originally certified without an electrical system that you could fly within the mode-c veil as long as you were UNDER the Class-B and same w/C (without the veil). If you need to actually enter the airspace, you have to have prior approval. That's something I'd definitely want to verify before going anywhere. Although, if I got it, I would probably try to mount a battery-powered xpdr so I could fly into the Bay Area More easily.

At the time the T-Carts were built the average adult male was 5' 8" tall, weighed 140#, wore a size 38 suit, an 8 shoe, a 6 7/8 hat and a 15x32 shirt. The planes were about right for them.

You also need a transponder for flying around/under Class B and C. 14 CFR 91.215(b)(4). Many of the transponder regs have exceptions for aircraft not equipped with electrical systems, but that one doesn't.

IMO, the flight you're talking about is VERY ambitious for a student or new pilot. Crossing the Sierra by itself should be giving you massive pause at your level. And doing it with no long-range radio is something I wouldn't even consider.

And I think you're overestimating the power of a handheld radio. I can barely make out someone else using one from the same traffic pattern.

Certainly you do not need the transponder if flying around Bravo airspace within the Mode C veil provided you stay below the top of the B/C airspace. I also do not read that reg as restricting you from flying below shelves and have done so with the blessing of B/C controllers and with no waiver.

Don't know about T-Craft but I know my tall friends are not comfortable in the Luscombe.

Hello all,

Are there any tall folks out there that fly a Taylorcraft BC-12D? I have the opportunity to get one in good shape for cheap, but I'm 6'3" (long legs, but fairly thin), and want to see if I'll fit in the thing. Also, does anybody have, or know someone that has, a BC model Taylorcraft in the SF Bay/Sacramento area that I could take a look at/try to wedge myself into.

Here's some background: I'm a student pilot with about 100 hours (yeah, I know...but life got in the way of training several times and I had to restart a few times) and am working on my checkride prep right now. I'm no stranger to taildraggers however, having logged about 50 hours (about 30 solo) during training in a C120. My dream plane (within some semblance of reality) is a Cessna Cardinal. My wife is disabled and those big, low doors would make getting in/out a dream for her. I doubt she'd fit too well in a T-craft, but I could always rent a 172 or something for any trips with her if it's too hard to get in.

That being said, I don't have the $50-60K for a Cardinal right now, but if I'm willing to fly it (or get it flown/transported) across the country, I can get this BC-12D for a song. There's no electrical system, so I'd be using handheld comms and flying around/under class Bs and Cs. I'd eventually like to get my instrument rating, but I've got to build some time first anyway.

What are your thoughts on building time (especially X-C time) in a T-Craft and do you think I'd fit? Also, flying it literally cross-country sounds like quite the experience, but it's about 25 hours (plus time for fuel/food/bathrooms) and I'd have to take a week or more off work to do it.

Thanks!

Other than actually getting in the plane, a tall guy can fly a T.
As for the electrical part of it, get your hands on an old ELT battery and just wire up an intercom system to it. For the radio, get a handheld you can tie into your headset.
I learned to fly a T with a guy that was 6'6 and other than the few minutes it took him to bend himself into the door, once in, was not a problem.

I've never flown that plane, but I have sat in it while the owner was propping it. At 6'1" it seemed reasonably comfortable.

Back