talk about a complicated medical!

lbfjrmd

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Senior AME/ATC AME
'Hello Dr. Fowler, I'm looking for a Ame and I've seen your name mentioned on the internet as someone who is effective in dealing with the FAA and a great overall AME. I was hoping you could tell me if you think I have a chance at getting a special issuance based on a short summary of my case.

Here goes:

- I was kidnapped and treated by psychiatrists
- I was diagnosed with PTSD, Depression/Anxiety and ADHD
- treated with citalopram for a year, followed by citalopram/risperdal for a year, then a month of adderall, then finally tried buproprion for a month
- I have been stable and off all medication for 4 years.
- I actively used cannabis including having a medical card for 1 year. I had 2 run ins with the police and was charged with misdemeanor possession both times. I have not used cannabis in 3 years, though I don't have any documentation to show my abstinence.

Everything I have read online leads me to think getting a medical with this history is going to be nearly impossible or very hard.I discovered a passion for flying before I learned of the medical requirements, so I am pretty determined to make it through the process if it is at all possible.

Thanks for your time.'

Last edited:
Wow! So what are the odds of success in your considered opinion?

Seems to me that if FAA will just let anyone through who has enough money and perseverance then why do we have medicals in the first place?

Not speaking of this person just in general.

I don't want to be a prude, and I know Dr. Lou meant no malice in starting this thread, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of posting the message, even if it was done so anonymously. There's a good chance the person is lurking here, and I don't like the thought of this person seeing this thread and reading comments of forum members being entertained by his medical history. Presumably he messaged Dr. Lou directly because he didn't want to post his history in a public forum.

I haven't reported this post, or anything like that, but I respectfully ask that the OP consider deleting this thread.

It's not impossible, just a lot of time and money with many hoops to jump through. If you're patient and you want to fly bigger aircraft than go for it, just don't be surprised when it takes a few years. If you want quick and easy (and also less risky) just go the sport pilot route and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seems to me that if FAA will just let anyone through who has enough money and perseverance then why do we have medicals in the first place?

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full

I don't want to be a prude, and I know Dr. Lou meant no malice in starting this thread, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of posting the message, even if it was done so anonymously. There's a good chance the person is lurking here, and I don't like the thought of this person seeing this thread and reading comments of forum members being entertained by his medical history. Presumably he messaged Dr. Lou directly because he didn't want to post his history in a public forum.

I haven't reported this post, or anything like that, but I respectfully ask that the OP consider deleting this thread.

I think it’s being posted in the spirit of “case study”, and a range of issues that can be overcome. Helps the next guy looking to fly. Just my take.

:yeahthat:

The FAA ends up granting medicals to some very high percentage of applicants. 95%, maybe? Many of those are put through expensive and time consuming hoops. Note that the FAA does not treat these people, they merely require exorbitant testing to show that the current treatment is satisfactory. And they do it without the intimate knowledge of the applicant that the treating personal physician has.

So how much safety is really gained by ultimately rejecting 5% or so? Let's say as a wild guess that 10% of those rejects, if they were allowed to fly, might someday have a medical problem leading to an accident. Is it really worth all the bureaucratic ca-ca for a 0.5% gain? Especially when there's no evidence to show that it even does that much?

:yeahthat:

The FAA ends up granting medicals to some very high percentage of applicants. 95%, maybe? Many of those are put through expensive and time consuming hoops. Note that the FAA does not treat these people, they merely require exorbitant testing to show that the current treatment is satisfactory. And they do it without the intimate knowledge of the applicant that the treating personal physician has.

So how much safety is really gained by ultimately rejecting 5% or so? Let's say as a wild guess that 10% of those rejects, if they were allowed to fly, might someday have a medical problem leading to an accident. Is it really worth all the bureaucratic ca-ca for a 0.5% gain? Especially when there's no evidence to show that it even does that much?
No it’s not.

I have edited the post to remove all references to age and have discussed same with the moderator. Mods can delete post if it is still felt to be inappropriate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back