Tale of a long process to get my medical reissued

J

J Belew

It has been a long 10 months trying to get my medical renewed but I now have a Special Issue, thanks to the help from Doctor Bruce. I have a short laundry list to complete and then I think I will be issued a regular 3rd class, which is all I need for my CFII and DE. It is a long story and I won't bore you with all the details but it started with the ME's Nurse noticing an irregular heartbeat during my last medical. I have taken and passed a number of tests as required by the FAA but the wording used by my cardiologist, who is a non pilot, and from a different culture, continued to use the words, Patient has a HISTORY of -----------any thing I was tested for in his reports. This caused more and more tests but I was advised not to switch Doctors in the middle of this or it might raise flags. My last visit with him took the cake. He said " you are 71 years old, why do you want to fly" I had a lot of answers to that question but I bit my tongue as I wanted a good report from him. I have been instructing for 35 years and a DE for 25 years and have now asked the FSDO to reinstate me as a DE and there is a good possibility on this.

During this period I have called on my Grandson, Rudy to act as my pilot in command which he was glad to do, when I needed to go somewhere, but I could not finish up Rudy's twin brother Bret or give Check Rides for the long time instructor's that sent me their students over the years.
Hope I did not bore you but I will say again,
Thank God for Dr. Bruce and Thank God for medicare as the tests I have had to take would have been a real burden on my finances.

Yowza! Congrats on a successful fight with the red-tape dragon. Dr. Bruce is special... many of us owe him continuing thanks, myself included.

-Skip

Thank you for your story. It is an inspriration for many who are struggling with medical stuff. I am very happy for you.

Have fun and fly.

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back