Taking the CFI Plunge

Chuck Dillon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
grnbrt1956
Well folks after a lot of thought I have decided at the ripe old age of 52 to get my CFI, and pass on what little knowldge I have gained over the past few years onto others.

My biggest challange thus far is staying awake in order to read the instructor handbook for the FOI portion of the training! Now don't get me wrong there is some good stuff in there, but I have been a fire fighter instructor and CPR instructor now for 20 years and can see the value in this reading.

So any ideas/thoughts on getting thru this?

Thanks
Chuck

My biggest challange thus far is staying awake in order to read the instructor handbook for the FOI portion of the training! Now don't get me wrong there is some good stuff in there, but I have been a fire fighter instructor and CPR instructor now for 20 years and can see the value in this reading.

Having just read through that book myself for the FOI, I can sympathize. Was that ever boring. No real advice more than just sympathy - I basically forced myself to read it through. A chapter a night ended up being about as much as I could tolerate.

Good luck!

You might get the Jeppesen Flight Instructor Manual. It has the same information and much more. It's not as dry and easier to read.

The most important thing to remember about the CFI ticket is that it’s all about teaching, not flying. You will be judged more on your ability to impart learning to your student than on any demonstration of your own pilot skills. The Aviation Instructor's Handbook book is rather dry, and (considering that it’s supposed to be prepared by professionals who really know about teaching) not all that easy to learn from. However, the important data are there, and you’d best learn not only to parrot them, but to understand what they mean and apply them when you teach (and if you don’t recognize these “levels of learning” you’re not ready yet). You will have to be able to read the student’s mind to find out whether he’s really learned the material or not, and if not, WHY not. Then you must be able to figure out how to get past whatever barrier to understanding exists in that student’s mind. You’ll find that there are as many successful techniques as there are students, but there may only be one of those many that works for any one particular student. Being able to hit on one that will work quickly, before the student becomes discouraged, is the toughest part of flight instructing.

How to work through this? Get with some successful teachers, not necessarily pilots. I’m talking about someone you know who’s an experienced high school teacher, one that the kids remember long after graduation as the highlight of their experience. Talk about teaching and learning with this person. You might also consider some basic education courses at the local college.

Finally, here are a few points I put together to get your mind right for the initial CFI checkride:

1. You are a teacher, not a pilot. How you teach is far more important than how you fly the plane. It doesn't matter if you slightly screw up a maneuver, as long as you identify the screw-up as it happens, talk about why it happened, and then how to do it right.

2. Don't rush into any answers. When asked questions, show the examiner where the answer is written -- you're showing how to teach a student, not demonstrating your own superior knowledge. That means you should know COLD where to find the answers -- if asked about the red/green/white tower light gun signals, it shouldn't take you more than a few seconds to get to the right page in the AIM. And you should know instantly whether an answer to an FAR question is in Part 61 or Part 91 (HINT: If the rule applies no matter who's flying the plane, it's in 91. If not, it's in 61.)

3. Be relaxed and organized. When asked a to teach an item, take a moment to gather your thoughts and draw out any blackboard diagrams or itemized lists for the lesson. You're not on "Jeopardy" -- there's no one gonna beat you to the buzzer and steal your $200 prize.

4. Inventory your stuff before you go to the meet -- the checklist in the PTS is a good tool. Make sure you have all the source materials to teach as well as answer all the questions in the PTS.

5. Typically, during the oral, the examiner will jump on one topic and continue asking questions until you run out of answers. In the Air Force, we called this game "Stump the Dummy." As the questioner knows more than the questionee about the topic he selected (which is why the questioner selected it), the final outcome (the dummy is stumped) is never in doubt. The critical elements are how far the dummy can get before being stumped, and how he handles the situation -- straight knowledge, clear explanations, use of the book when appropriate or necessary, and no BS or tap-dancing when finally stumped.

6. Expect a long, grueling session. You're being given the authority to release others into the sky without anyone else's oversight. They want to make damn sure you can make good decisions in that respect. For that reason, I think the initial CFI is the most significant ride you'll ever take.

Good luck,
Ron Levy
CFI since 1973

Thanks everyone for their great input, it will all come to use. Agian Thanks
Chuck

Good on you for going for the CFI! Havent seen you round here so WELCOME!

Yeah I am sort of new here thanks for the welcome

Chuck

Good luck Chuck! I am attempting the same feat this week with my friends in Texas. I am lucky to have some experienced fellows to help me prepare for the practicle test. I had the same trouble you are having with the FOI, infact I posted a comment very similar to yours about falling asleep after opening the FOI book. I finally just set aside time during the day, about noon and just made myself read the whole thing. It worked out ok and the Knowledge test was very unsurprising. Keep us posted on your progress and welcome to POA!

I'd really like to get a CFI, but I won't hold a medical certificate again for a while. Is there a way around this ?

You'd probably need to work with your FSDO to see if they will provide an inspector willing to act as PIC for your checkride.

You'd probably need to work with your FSDO to see if they will provide an inspector willing to act as PIC for your checkride.

Thanks Tim.

If that's all that would be required then it won't be a problem.

Can one instruct while not holding a medical certificate if one has the CFI ?

I'd really like to get a CFI, but I won't hold a medical certificate again for a while. Is there a way around this ?
In addition to Tim's suggestion, there's another approach: CFI-Sport Pilot. That's the route I'm going. This does have the limitation that you can only instruct to the sport pilot level, and only in a light sport aircraft - but it does not require a medical at all unless you don't have a driver's license.

For study materials, above all, tab AC 8083, the Airplane Flying Handbook. This is the federal description of the maneuvers. This is the chapter and verse of what you are to teach.

Tab parts 61, 91, 119 and 121. Read 'em all. Tab part 67.

If you can demonstrate proficiency in find that which you don't recall, that's a pass as well.

Can one instruct while not holding a medical certificate if one has the CFI ?

Yes, but the student has to be able to act/be PIC. That pretty much means no pre PP training and no training that involves a view limiting device.

Yes, but the student has to be able to act/be PIC. That pretty much means no pre PP training and no training that involves a view limiting device.

So that would be anyone who has soloed. Correct ?

So that would be anyone who has soloed. Correct ?
No, that means someone who's got a (non-student) certificate, when acting within the limitations of that certificate. Someone who's soloed but hasn't gotten a certificate other than student isn't qualified to act as PIC when anyone else is aboard.

Back