Taking my lumps - ever had it happen to you?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So I got a little reamed out for salvaging a crap landing in the Luscombe at the home drome.

Got a call yesterday from the owner of the Luscombe that one of the property owners at the field had tattled on my last landing over there. I botched the landing and, by the time I corrected, I landed long. The property owner thought I should have gone around.

The Luscombe owner told the fellow that he trusted my judgement and if I made a bad landing then I made a bad landing. No big deal.

Now this property owner is quite the pilot and is the fellow that complimented me early on my landings in the Luscombe so I made it a point to find his number and give him a call.

He is the fellow flying in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQf3s2grQNs

I let him have his say and thanked him for his input. From my end, I knew I was running out of runway but after getting it salvaged and the wheels on the ground, I did not see any problem is finishing the landing so I did. Had plenty runway to spare. His point was that if I had not gotten it fixed, with only 65 hp, I might not have enough to climb out safely and so should have abandoned that landing earlier. I have a fair amount of recent hours in the Luscombe and did not see that as the case, either. But I thanked him for his help and he thanked me for listening. He had told my friend that he was a CFI and always ready to help so I invited him to fly with me some time and give me some pointers. Don't know if that will ever happen but it could and the important thing is the relationship both for my benefit and my friend's.

Gotta love the ego stoking!

I kinda saw it as being polite and respectful of the concerns of another. Didn't cost me a dime and made someone friendish that could otherwise have been enemyish. I stated my position and respectfully acknowledged his. That is what separates an argument from a discussion. I like to discuss; I don't generally argue.

Last edited:
So I got a little reamed out for salvaging a crap landing in the Luscombe at the home drome.

Got a call yesterday from the owner of the Luscombe that one of the property owners at the field had tattled on my last landing over there. I botched the landing and, by the time I corrected, I landed long. The property owner thought I should have gone around.

The Luscombe owner told the fellow that he trusted my judgement and if I made a bad landing then I made a bad landing. No big deal.

Now this property owner is quite the pilot and is the fellow that complimented me early on my landings in the Luscombe so I made it a point to find his number and give him a call.

He is the fellow flying in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQf3s2grQNs

I let him have his say and thanked him for his input. From my end, I knew I was running out of runway but after getting it salvaged and the wheels on the ground, I did not see any problem is finishing the landing so I did. Had plenty runway to spare. His point was that if I had not gotten it fixed, with only 65 hp, I might not have enough to climb out safely and so should have abandoned that landing earlier. I have a fair amount of recent hours in the Luscombe and did not see that as the case, either. But I thanked him for his help and he thanked me for listening. He had told my friend that he was a CFI and always ready to help so I invited him to fly with me some time and give me some pointers. Don't know if that will ever happen but it could and the important thing is the relationship both for my benefit and my friend's.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath." I think that's in the Bible. Good move.

Bob Gardner

I doff my pate' to you, sir. Not many would have handled the situation with such aplomb.

I think the way you handled it was great. For this guy to tattle on you, hmm.

My opinion here is that the view on the ground is not the same view as from in the pilot seat, and that you made the best call for the situation is.

No harm, no fowl. All in all, you are on the ground safe and the plane is still in one piece, ready for the next fight.

Back