Taking a Stratux on an Airliner

Cykoguy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cykoguy
Has anyone done it? Did you just take it out like you would a laptop? My fear would just be them getting nervous with not knowing what it is and end up with it confiscated.

My stratus didn't work. You'd prolly get tossed on the deck too. Especially if you started to prey under your breath.

My two cents. I have done this several times with the Dual GPS and linked to my iPad using Foreflight. It worked great up until a point. Once we got to a certain altitude, it did stop working so it wasn't all time I could keep it going. My point is that no-one said a word and I have done it several times.

Last time I few commercial was nearly 2 years ago, on the plane I've run Avare (basically free foreflight for Android) without the radio attached, internal GPS on an Android tablet was nice to follow along with the routing (GPS was weak but worked when I kept the tablet near the window); I don't remember if I took the RTL SDR and pulled traffic info in the terminal or if I just checked it. Heck most people probably thought I was reading or watching a movie.

Last week. Worked great. Must be by a window to get signal.

I left foreflight open on my iPad in my bag with the volume up. The people on either side seemed nervous that it called out entering runway, oops

Last week. Worked great. Must be by a window to get signal.

Well now, aren't you mr Richie Rich with that window seat. I'm lucky enough to make it past the boarding gate with a ticket.

o_O Snob......

??
Since when are window seats more expensive?

It's a joke broski.....

Seems like I always end up being the meat on the sandwich these days. Some carriers are charging premium for isle or window. They really are proud of an exit row too.

My work usually books me and it's always cattle car cheapest so .....

American charges a premium for any seat that's forward of the rear of the aircraft. Some others are indeed charging premiums to RESERVE an aisle or window in advance.

I've opened up foreflight a few times and have connected to other people's stratus and it works fine. Every once in a while you'll hear "Approaching runway 30L. Entered runway 30L" when someone forgets to mute their ipad and it's on full blast. Ok... it's happened to me before.

I use Foreflight and GP at some point pretty much every time I fly commercial, which is pretty regular these days. Window, aisle, it doesn't matter, it works. (my iDevices are cell capable so have internal gps).I like knowing where I am when I wake up from a nap.

I've opened up foreflight a few times and have connected to other people's stratus and it works fine. Every once in a while you'll hear "Approaching runway 30L. Entered runway 30L" when someone forgets to mute their ipad and it's on full blast. Ok... it's happened to me before.
Yes, since my iPad was down rev and didn't support that version of FF I never realized it did that until one day I was on an airliner and had brought FF up on the phone. When I turned the phone on again on landing it started doing that as FF was still running.

I've used FF and my bad elf a few times. Found the bad elf either needs to acquire a position prior to boarding or be in the window seat to work. Trying my new stratux here in a few weeks. Can't wait for the TSA conversation.

I have used my iPhone enroute using it's internal GPS. Craps out at altitude but works for a while after takeoff and before landing.

Stratus has no password protection by default. I think that means that anyone nearby (for example in an airliner) can connect to it.

Can they then hack it to make it do something malicious (maybe making the AHRS spin wildly on final approach)?

Stratus has no password protection by default. I think that means that anyone nearby (for example in an airliner) can connect to it.

Can they then hack it to make it do something malicious (maybe making the AHRS spin wildly on final approach)?
The airliner is not using a wifi AHRS system and there's good reason why iPads are not certified as IFR instrumentation.

The airliner is not using a wifi AHRS system and there's good reason why iPads are not certified as IFR instrumentation.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

My point has nothing to do with the airliner's cockpit.

Rather, I had in mind a hacker, sitting in range of a Stratus, connecting to it without requiring any password, and uploading harmful software to the Stratus, which could have consequences later, not necessarily immediately while still in the airline cabin.

I'm not sure what form that harmful software might take in a Stratus, so I was offering as speculation the possibility of altering the Stratus' AHRS so that later, when the Stratus' owner is flying a small plane with Foreflight, goofy things are transmitted from the Stratus to the Foreflight device.

I have been guilty of this on a few occasions. It always amazes me that almost no one reacts to it.

I have had the stratus in my carry on in the overhead, and has been hit or miss on on getting a solid GPS signal. I fly out of ORD, and between the ADS-B on the stratus and listening to the tower on the LiveATC app (when I can figure out the tower/runway combination) the delays are always interesting. Usually a plane is rotating by the time I hear the takeoff clearance. The ADS-B seems to be a little less delay, but there is still some.

I think it would work better if I were holding it near the window, but just don't feel like dealing with it (and possibly forgetting it on the plane)

Rather, I had in mind a hacker, sitting in range of a Stratus, connecting to it without requiring any password, and uploading harmful software to the Stratus, which could have consequences later, not necessarily immediately while still in the airline cabin.
Yep, you're screwed. The stratus is devoid of any sense of security, not only in who can connect to it but with the firmware updates (i.e., it's not required to do anything to the stratus before it gets updated).

I've used FF and my bad elf a few times. Found the bad elf either needs to acquire a position prior to boarding or be in the window seat to work. Trying my new stratux here in a few weeks. Can't wait for the TSA conversation.

Thats more where my worry lays. Not sure how they will take a clear box with a circuit card in it with a battery and antennas coming off of it.

Thats more where my worry lays. Not sure how they will take a clear box with a circuit card in it with a battery and antennas coming off of it.

I typically fly commercial once or twice a week and have never had TSA say anything about it in my carry on. I have almost always had it with me for the past year or so since getting it. I think it looks like any other electronics. I always use TSA Pre, and premium, so that might be part of the reason they haven't said anything.

Yep, you're screwed. The stratus is devoid of any sense of security, not only in who can connect to it but with the firmware updates (i.e., it's not required to do anything to the stratus before it gets updated).
I don't think that's true. If you don't touch the default setting a then what you describe is the case but the access can be restricted with a password and the SSID broadcast can be suppressed. That's reasonable security given what the devices does.

I asked TSA (over the Internet) if I could bring this on an aircraft:
61BBB3Iys9L._SL1000_.jpg

"No Problem"

In the TSA line, it went through in my backpack twice. I have a setup where I use the 12V battery to power my Bose headphones that I got off of Craigslist for $25/ea.

I asked TSA (over the Internet) if I could bring this on an aircraft:
61BBB3Iys9L._SL1000_.jpg

"No Problem"

In the TSA line, it went through in my backpack twice. I have a setup where I use the 12V battery to power my Bose headphones that I got off of Craigslist for $25/ea.

Don't be surprised if it gets taken away at some point. Hammers are specifically prohibited in carry ons. I assume that doesn't look like a hammer on xray.

Don't be surprised if it gets taken away at some point. Hammers are specifically prohibited in carry ons. I assume that doesn't look like a hammer on xray.
I won't be. However, I do get the full pat down each time I get on an airplane due to my insulin pump not being allowed through the X-Ray equipment. The last two times, like I said, no worries. Actually, it probably looks worse on the X-Ray. The hammer part probably looks like a large bullet, but it may go under the "tools not larger than 7in" rule.

On the subject of the TSA, I wish there was a better way of doing this:
Have the check in counter after the TSA check, and the counters need to be two sided: One on the insecure side and the other on the secure side. The reason for this is if there is an item that can be checked, you can just go over to the non-secure side, put it in your bag, and then go back through security.
Then, once you're in, you're in.

Having TSA so far from the counters, after you've checked your bags, is pretty much a "You're screwed" proposition, should a TSA agent find something they don't like.

Down at CLT (possibly other places), I noticed there's a fedex drop bin to allow you to ship things that are security (as opposed to HAZMAT) at the checkpoint.

Took the Stratux and had no issues with TSA. Never had any ADS-B service but I held the GPS receiver in the window and that worked perfectly to keep track of where we were.

Back