Taking a shortcut across the Gulf of Mexico

bikert

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
bikert
Let's say I want to go from KNEW to KPIL (New Orleans to Brownsville). What's involved in taking a shortcut across the gulf? Since the start and end points are both inside the US does this prevent the need to file with eAPIS?

I was checking it and there's a 30 minute difference staying over the coast ... I think I'd stay over the coast

If it crosses the ADIZ you have to be on an IFR plan, or deal with the kabuki of a DVFR flight plan et al. Other than that, no eAPIS. That's why I wish I had an airplane that could do FL-PR non-stop. Bypassing the make-work thugs at CBP is priority #1 in my recreational flying. Asking permission to enter my own Country via private air while the mexican border town demographics are as tight and vetted as Xmas tree netting. GTFOH with that non-sense.

I've done this many times going to Key West and cutting across from the tampa or ft myers area straight down, or going from the daytona beach area up to charleston, as others have said since you are taking off and landing in the US no EAPIS required, if you file IFR you won't notice any difference from a regular IFR flight

How strong of a swimmer are you ?

I've done this many times going to Key West and cutting across from the tampa or ft myers area straight down, or going from the daytona beach area up to charleston, as others have said since you are taking off and landing in the US no EAPIS required, if you file IFR you won't notice any difference from a regular IFR flight
Except possible position reporting. Of course that's hard to say for certain without looking at the route.

If you file IFR you can probably plan on getting routed around those warning areas anyway. Those things get used extensively.

Adding GLS and NGP into your route adds 50nm and keeps you withing gliding range of land.

I fly from Tampa thru New Orleans fairly often when I go that way. I file direct Tampa to west Texas. About half the time I get it and other half the moa,s are active in the gulf and they vector me way to the north. I do stay pretty high up which gives me pretty good gliding distance if necessary.

I do it - normally 110 miles across to Venice.
Clapped out old twin
I don't bother climbing to nose bleed altitude
I do carry flotation (hoping I am not disabled)
I do notice the sharks here and there - I wonder if they are hungry
I would rather ditch in the ocean than ditch in the mountains

Back