Taking a bath in hard water

Steve said:

What are you supposed to open that file with? It came down as T38.pps.txt but it was a bunch of gobbledygook, no text content whatsoever (was hoping for some kind of header at least to provide a clue, but no such luck).

I knocked the .txt off and tried to open it again; The computer decided to try Keynote (Apple's sweet presentation app). It choked, something about being unable to translate the file. So I tried opening it with PowerPoint instead (though I thought that was .ppt :dunno:) and PowerPoint choked on it too.

What is it?

EDIT: I noted the "picture_gallery" in the URL and dropped the file on GraphicConverter, a great little app that will open any graphics format known to man, and saw a pic of the front of a seriously hail-damaged bird! I guess .pps is probably PowerPoint Slideshow? Was there more than one pic?

Last edited:
That was some serious hail damage. I'm glad I don't have to pay for all of it.

Kent, Powerpoint XP opened it for me OK. If you got it with a .txt extension, perhaps it was saved as 7-bit and not binary?

JRitt said:
That was some serious hail damage. I'm glad I don't have to pay for all of it.
Not all of it, but those look like they're owned by the US Governmint to me! Means I had to pay for at least some of it, can't say for sure about you! :goofy:

YIKES! That probably was quite a pucker factor when they were flying too. Not too bight to go through something like that and they are lucky to have landed at all.

flyingcheesehead said:
What are you supposed to open that file with?
Kent, x.pps is a Powerpoint Show - automatically runs the powerpoint presentation. If you don't have a compatible powerpoint program, look around on the Microsoft website for a free powerpoint viewer program.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Kent, x.pps is a Powerpoint Show - automatically runs the powerpoint presentation. If you don't have a compatible powerpoint program, look around on the Microsoft website for a free powerpoint viewer program.

-Skip

Here I made a .pdf of it to make it easier if you do not have power point.

Attachments

• T38.pdf
    705.5 KB · Views: 35
Can you imagine what the would have been like to fly through? Those planes have that big canopy. Imagine how loud / violent that must have been. I bet they try it again.

jangell said:
Can you imagine what the would have been like to fly through? Those planes have that big canopy. Imagine how loud / violent that must have been. I bet they try it again.

Interesting that the canopies look untouched...not a crack or pit on 'em. From the one pic that shows a part of a canopy, anyways.

I was going to say..you fly into a thunderstorm, at that point you are a test pilot, but I see these guys already are, or on the way to becoming one.
I guess they just wanted to hurry up the process. These guys have bigger ones that I have.

smigaldi said:
they are lucky to have landed at all.

Oh, they would've landed no matter what.
They are lucky to have landed in such a manner as to have been able to tell the tale.
:D

How would you like to have ejected into that type of "rain".
:hairraise:

cherokeeflyboy said:
I was going to say..you fly into a thunderstorm, at that point you are a test pilot...

I think you need... Conviction. You don't get to just give up and expect to make it through.

Back