jspittler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Judd Spittler
I am confused about the RWY 8 takeoff minimums for the following DP:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/06741EDUKY.PDF

The takeoff minimums text reads in part:

"RWY 8: 4300-3 or 400-1 standard with a minimum climb of 350' per NM to 10000'..."

Now to me, "standard" means 1 mile vis for two engines or less, and 1/2 mile vis for three or more engines... or it refers to a minimum climb rate of 200' per NM. Neither of these two "definitions" seems to make sense in the context of the above text.

It almost seems like it would make sense if either "400-1" OR "standard" were present in the text, but not both. Is it possible that there is an error? or am I missing the boat here.

Judd

It seems odd to me, too. Suggest contacting the charting office as described in the front of the Terminal Procedures book to clarify.

Thanks Ron,

I got the following e-mail today from the FAA:

Dear Mr. Spittler,

Thank you for bringing the problem in the Takeoff note on the EDUKY ONE DEPARTURE (RNAV)(OBSTACLE) chart to our attention.

The word "STANDARD" will be removed from RWY 8 Take-Off Minimums for the Change Notice effective February 15, 2007.

Again, thanks for your help.

Ron Canter
West Section Supervisor, IAPB, FAA

My small part in helping to bring air safety to all who venture the skies. :)

Judd

And here I was thinking government was perfect! Dang it, my faith has declined to indescribable lows! :eek:

Judd,

Thanks for the post and getting an answer. The more I looked at it, the more it bugged me.

Back