Take this Microsoft

I suppose there is a difference between removing and hiding, but you can minimize the ribbon to what effectively becomes a menu bar.

Tell me! Puh leeze!

Right click on the ribbon, select "Minimize the Ribbon" (Ribbon1.jpg). Observe more usable screen real estate (Ribbon2.jpg).

Attachments

• Ribbon1.jpg
    Ribbon1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 12
  • Ribbon2.jpg
    Ribbon2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 8
I'm stuck with Lotus Notes in the office. You think MS is bad??????

When we got the MS office upgrade, they moved us to outlook from loser notes. I don't know what it is with large companies and lotus notes

They also linked us all into something called "Sharepoint" where we can share files.

Reminds me of a license plate I saw on a sports car a while back:
MYCHR27

Not long after 9/11, I saw a bumper sticker on a car here in ATL that read:

rm -rf Osama Bin Laden

I had just switched a Data Aq system at work to Linux, and knew the meaning, and wondered how many other people did. Now I don't feel so lonely.

They also linked us all into something called "Sharepoint" where we can share files.

Just be sure to do yourselves a favor and use the versioning feature. :)

It is quite annoying to see "MyDoc", "MyDoc1", "MyDoc2" etc. Just reuse the name "MyDoc" and SharePoint will keep a version history for you. You can even view any previous version of the document. Better yet, use the "Check Out" feature from within most Office components (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, ...) and check it in when you're done editing.

SharePoint is much more powerful than just a "shared drive" concept.

Code:
ftp host@domain.com
cd <path>
ls
bin
[B]hash[/B]
get <bigfile>
#####################################.......
Problem is, the entire terminal fills with the same character and, if you have a fast connection, you can't really tell if it's still running!

It is quite annoying to see "MyDoc", "MyDoc1", "MyDoc2" etc. Just reuse the name "MyDoc" and SharePoint will keep a version history for you. You can even view any previous version of the document. Better yet, use the "Check Out" feature from within most Office components (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, ...) and check it in when you're done editing.

Well, Word used to have some versioning built into it, pre-2007. They removed it!

Well, Word used to have some versioning built into it, pre-2007. They removed it!

Not quite the same thing. Having a version metadata tag is different from maintaining a history of changes to the content. The latter makes it easy to identify the current version of the document: It's simply "the document." You don't have to rely on file name suffixes like "MyDoc v1.doc".

...but I still see folks not accustomed to version control doing it the old fashioned way years after implementing SharePoint. [sigh]

I'll have to look into that- Our IT department did minimal training on it.

New employees get training from existing users, but that's how it was everywhere I worked at. I feel that a day of formal, proper, training with the corporate software would repay itself in increased productivity.

I don't know what it is with large companies and lotus notes

The argument in favor of Notes (at least over Exchange) used to be that it scaled better than Exchange. And IMO, that was an entirely legitimate argument, up until Exchange 2000 came out, anyway. (Though really it was 2003 that truly usurped Notes.) So the larger the organization, the more likely they were have to gone with Notes back in the 90s when those varieties of enterprise-wide messaging and groupware implementations were starting to be rolled out; add in the inertia typical of organizations that size -- and an inexplicable habit on the part of some people to build critical business-process applications inside Notes -- and it's not surprising that a lot of bigger companies are left saddled with that steaming pile of excrement.

I was skeptical at first, largely because I didn't "get it" when I first was introduced to it ("We need an application to manage files? We have one. It's called a file share with sub folders." :redface: Anyway...) But Sharepoint actually does about as good a job as can be done with such things which are, by their nature, bound to get ugly at times.

Not quite the same thing. Having a version metadata tag is different from maintaining a history of changes to the content. The latter makes it easy to identify the current version of the document: It's simply "the document." You don't have to rely on file name suffixes like "MyDoc v1.doc".

...but I still see folks not accustomed to version control doing it the old fashioned way years after implementing SharePoint. [sigh]
No, you could actually tag a particular version of the document and later go back and show differences, get a copy of it, etc. At least if my aging memory isn't failing me!

Back