Tailwheel training

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, all you Dallas/Fort Worth pilots... where can I go for the tailwheel endorsement?

MarcAir (at NW Regional), www.marcairaviation.com, has a Citabria for $78/hr (10 hour block rate) wet. That's pretty close to me (20 minutes or so), but their hours SUCK... 8am to 5pm on weekdays... how does an FBO stay in business and close at 5pm on weekdays?!

What other options are in the DFW area?

Ken Ibold said:
That's a good rate for the airplane, though.

Yeah, I can't argue with that! I'm a large-framed guy (think "linebacker", 270#, 6'2"). Is the Citabria big enough? Useful load good enough for me and an instructor? Or should I be looking for a Decathlon/Super Decathlon?

Troy Whistman said:
Yeah, I can't argue with that! I'm a large-framed guy (think "linebacker", 270#, 6'2"). Is the Citabria big enough? Useful load good enough for me and an instructor? Or should I be looking for a Decathlon/Super Decathlon?
At that rate, it's a wood-sparred airplane with a max of 1650 pounds. Figure maybe 1170 empty for a GCAA, which leaves 480 pounds. An ECA typically will have a slightly lower empty weight, a GCBC slightly higher. Going to a Decathlon/Super D won't help. Most of them actually have a lower useful load than do the GCAA/ECA/GCBCs.

You shouldn't have a problem with cg with a person in the back, but your instructor will have to be small to be able to carry any fuel. Legally, that is. There are many, many Citabria operators who routinely operate 100 or 150 pounds over gross. (Note I am not endorsing overgross ops, just pointing out it happens.)

Ken Ibold said:
You shouldn't have a problem with cg with a person in the back

Are you saying I wouldn't be able to fly it solo? CG would be too far forward without bringing someone else (or a bag of sand) along?

Troy Whistman said:
Are you saying I wouldn't be able to fly it solo? CG would be too far forward without bringing someone else (or a bag of sand) along?
Not necessarily. The box that has my 1978 Citabria POH in it hasn't been unpacked from my move yet, so I can't tell you. Hence my "hedge your bets" language. Sorry 'bout that.

However, Diana could look up the 7GCBC in her POH (if she wanted to, because they share the same book) and run that for you.

Ken Ibold said:
Not necessarily. The box that has my 1978 Citabria POH in it hasn't been unpacked from my move yet, so I can't tell you. Hence my "hedge your bets" language. Sorry 'bout that.

However, Diana could look up the 7GCBC in her POH (if she wanted to, because they share the same book) and run that for you.
I just ran in for a minute and have to run back out and finish mowing the runways before dark. I'll get it for you in a bit. :)

My problem is having too little weight in front with a big guy in back (along with that battery).

Ken Ibold said:

Well, I did some rough numbers with my 1977 POH which has the 7GCBC flight envelope. You'd be right on the forward edge solo with half tanks, so it would have to be fine tuned with the FBO numbers. The battery is in the front of the ECA as opposed to the GCAA and the GCBC, so the balance will be different with that model. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

larrysb said:
The other thing I found about the 7ECA vs. the Decathlons is that the seats are NOT adjustable in the Decathlon.
Adjustable seats are found in some Citabrias and Decathlons, not in others. It was an optional feature and can easily be added.

Ken Ibold said:
Adjustable seats are found in some Citabrias and Decathlons, not in others. It was an optional feature and can easily be added.
Our front seat is adjustable. We leave it back all the time. Just right for Tom. Just right for my backpack parachute. We had a special cushion custom-made that slips over the front or back seat so I can be far enough forward to reach the rudder pedals front and back.

larrysb said:
Did not know that. Thanks!

If you are 6'2" like me, you DEFINITELY need the adjustable seat.
Well, the adjustment range isn't that great. I am 5'11", keep the seat all the way back, and wish it went back more.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I left an after hours (5:45pm, since they close at 5pm) message on their voice mail a couple days ago, asking for a tailwheel instructor to call me... no call yet.

It's amazing that some FBO's stay in business.

Troy

I offer training in Graham (1 hour west of Decatur on US 380) in a Citabria 7KCAB (fully aerobatic). Tailwheel, spin endorsement for CFI, Upset Prevention and Recovery Training) and Basic Aerobatic. And I work weekends...for me, I teach as a hobby 'cause I love it; but it doesn't have to put bread on the table, if you know what I mean.

I'm a retired Air Force instructor and current professional pilot with an airline background.

Jim

So what is the PoA record for dead time on a Necro Thread? This one nearly got to 10 years...

attachment.php

Welcome to PoA Jim!!! Glad to have you. But couldn't resist the nudge nudge to your ribs.

And Troy is probably still waiting for the FBO to call him back.

Back