Tailwheel training completed.

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
As of yesterday the world has a new tailwheel pilot...me! It was tough at first and I felt WAY out of control. Things got better the more landings I did. Then we transitioned to wheel landings and once again I could not grasp it. Finally they started to come in and last night after logging a total of 44 landings I was signed off as a tailwheel pilot. My instructor said "Now you are a real pilot". It was a lot of fun and so glad I did it!

I totally want to do this.

There's a stearman for rent around here and I think it requires 25 hours tail wheel time to solo it.

Congratulations! It is an awesome feeling of accomplishment for sure.

I watched a guy flip a tailwheel right in front of the fuel pumps on my home airfield ground looping a tailwheel biplane. Closed the runway for 3 hours.

Guess all those ATPs flying commercial are not real pilots. Boeing 777s are tricycle.

Last edited:
Real pilot because you can avoid a ground loop in an old tailwheel? Cmon....

I watched a guy flip a tailwheel right in front of the fuel pumps on my home airfield ground looping a tailwheel biplane. Closed the runway for 3 hours.

I've read every post twice, who said that? :dunno:

Keep those feet happy! :yes:

Is there much ground school involved with getting a tailwheel endorsement? If so how much?

Is there much ground school involved with getting a tailwheel endorsement? If so how much?

Yes, there is ground school.

A discussion of why a taildragger is directionally unstable, the phenomena behind ground loops, than about 10-15 minutes of ground taxi practice.

After that, it's flying time & you'll likely have pre and post-flight briefings to discuss everything. For me, the most trying part was flaring for the wheel landings using throttle and pushing the stick forward in ground effect.

Guess all those ATPs flying commercial are not real pilots. Boeing 777s are tricycle.

What's your problem..guess you don't fly tailwheel?:D

I think my instructor was qualified to make that "real pilot" comment. He is a retired F-16 driver, competition aerobatics, Military flight instructor, and is about to be flying Citations for a corporation. So I believe he is qualified.

Anyways..Thanks everyone!! I did this in a Cessna 150 converted to a tailwheel. There was a few hours of ground but not much, it was mostly butt time.

It really was a fun and challenging time. Really taught me alot about control! And yes keep those happy feet! I made my instructor earn his keep a few time by not keeping my happy feet!

I see Chris is a new tailwheel pilot as well! Congrats to you both!

It's akin to landing a tricycle ... backwards.

I know if I do four or five landings in a day, my legs will actually be sore the next day. That's how much input and 'dancing' I do ... you land in a nose gear. You 'dance' with a TD.

Congratulations! Pilot!

Most of those older ATPs have TW time in their logbooks.

A TW plane, especially an older plane like a 140/170/J-3 with barndoor ailerons and non-canted tail will do wonders for your stick-and-rudder skills, simply because they will not save "OK" landings like trikes. As opposed to relying on automation to save a low-and-slow approach.

Last edited:
Most of those older ATPs have TW time in their logbooks.

A TW plane, especially an older plane like a 140/170/J-3 with barndoor flaps and non-canted tail will do wonders for your stick-and-rudder skills, simply because they will not save "OK" landings like trikes. As opposed to relying on automation to save a low-and-slow approach.

Agreed, I have a co worker who was a marine pilot and then went on to fly for United and retired. He said he could always tell if the co pilot had TW training based on how they flew the 777.

As of yesterday the world has a new tailwheel pilot...me! It was tough at first and I felt WAY out of control. Things got better the more landings I did. Then we transitioned to wheel landings and once again I could not grasp it. Finally they started to come in and last night after logging a total of 44 landings I was signed off as a tailwheel pilot. My instructor said "Now you are a real pilot". It was a lot of fun and so glad I did it!
Cool. My latest student got to 35 landings today and he doesn't need much to finish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am starting my TW training tomorrow in a Decathlon. I've done one flight in it but it was mostly spins and just flying around in mild aerobatics.

Go-arounds still work in a tw.

I beleive he is saying it takes a lot of work to land a TW, which it does. I was very surprised at the amount of stick and rudder work required. I found before this in tricycle gear I was lazy with my feet on landing. This has also Improved my landings with those as well. But yep go a rounds still work...I've had to do my share in the past few weeks. Man it was fun!

Congrats, that is way cool! I want to do that, too, but there is no tailwheel a/c at my local school. Guess I'd have to fly somewhere else to learn it.

Happy landings!

I beleive he is saying it takes a lot of work to land a TW, which it does. I was very surprised at the amount of stick and rudder work required.

:confused:This is different from what I've experienced. In the 140 (and according to me my CFI, the Pitts); the amount of work is about the same as in the 152 if you land it straight.

Of course, the definition of "straight" is a lot narrower now!

:confused:This is different from what I've experienced. In the 140 (and according to me my CFI, the Pitts); the amount of work is about the same as in the 152 if you land it straight.

Of course, the definition of "straight" is a lot narrower now!

Well okay..you got me..haha keeping straight is like any other but as soon as the wheels touch the ground it's all feet and a lot of feet moving! And in any wind you must turn ailerons into it or you will get blown off centerline in a heartbeat. Ask me how I know! Hahaha

Congrats! I've flown quite a few airplanes, and honestly, the most fun I have is just buzzing around in my Flybaby. I did a cross country Sunday night in it at 2am. It was pretty damn cool to watch a thunderstorm at night (from a safe distance) in a open cockpit Flybaby.

Congrats on the endorsement. Tons of fun - SQUIRLY - that is the best description of tailwheel landings in windy conditions. The 'flying' is the easy part :)

Congrats! I've flown quite a few airplanes, and honestly, the most fun I have is just buzzing around in my Flybaby. I did a cross country Sunday night in it at 2am. It was pretty damn cool to watch a thunderstorm at night (from a safe distance) in a open cockpit Flybaby.

The fly baby look sweet, I ain't gonna lie! I need to see one in person! Open cockpit would be a rush.

Thanks again everyone!

It's akin to landing a tricycle ... backwards.

I know if I do four or five landings in a day, my legs will actually be sore the next day. That's how much input and 'dancing' I do ... you land in a nose gear. You 'dance' with a TD.

Congratulations! Pilot!

Try doing 30 glider tows on a xwind bumpy day. Pawnee tailwheel workout.

Back