Tailwheel Trainer and Insurance

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
I'm thinking about buying a Tailwheel airplane as a trainer in the not so distant future. Due to the ever increasing costs of a hangar at my home field, and the airplane's status as an inexpensive trainer, it will probably need to be tied down outside. I'd also consider renting it to students who earn their tailwheel endorsement in the airplane, provided it is not too cost-prohibitive insurance wise.

I'm thinking metal wing C140 or maybe one of the Texas Taildragger 150's? Anyone have experience with insurance for a setup like this?

The price for insurance is going to be comparable to the same hull value in a non-taildragger. However, when you get to the part about renting it out, you'll find that shocking. The price jumps over 3x typically IF you can even get it.

The price for insurance is going to be comparable to the same hull value in a non-taildragger. However, when you get to the part about renting it out, you'll find that shocking. The price jumps over 3x typically IF you can even get it.

I know the insurance rate will be comparable for me flying in it myself, but what about giving dual instruction to private pilots (or higher) wanting to get the TW endorsement?

And yeah I am prepared to find the rates might be prohibitive to rent the plane out. But I think the demand would be sufficient to pay for it.

And yeah I am prepared to find the rates might be prohibitive to rent the plane out. But I think the demand would be sufficient to pay for it.
You can only ask and back it up with your syllibus/rules to demonstrate how you'll operate. I was in a rental operation (it was called a club, but it was a for profit operation), with two taildraggers (Cessna 170 and 180) along with a couple of Skyhawks, a 182, and some arrows (one turbo) and my Navion. The taildraggers and Navion insurance will be more difficult to come by.

Oddly, once we found policies, the price pretty much scaled with the hull value. (I.e., they didn't actually charge us disproportionately more for the taildraggers or the Navion).

I'm thinking about buying a Tailwheel airplane as a trainer in the not so distant future. Due to the ever increasing costs of a hangar at my home field, and the airplane's status as an inexpensive trainer, it will probably need to be tied down outside. I'd also consider renting it to students who earn their tailwheel endorsement in the airplane, provided it is not too cost-prohibitive insurance wise.

I'm thinking metal wing C140 or maybe one of the Texas Taildragger 150's? Anyone have experience with insurance for a setup like this?

Call these guys
https://airpowerinsurance.com/

Probably require XYZ dual first, but shouldn’t be too bad.

AIG insured my 140A (tied down outside, no time in type) for around $1200.

I have also heard good things about AIR: https://www.air-pros.com/

AIG insured my 140A (tied down outside, no time in type) for around $1200.

I have also heard good things about AIR: https://www.air-pros.com/
I sold my Cessna 120 just over a year ago with some stuff going on in my life, but the previous year I had it insured it was about $3500ish for dual insurance... and it didn't fly enough to justify that.

By the way, the EAA is looking for a (doesn't need to be show quality) 120 or 140 for their "affordable plane" showcase at Oshkosh. Don't know if they found one yet, but I can put you in contact with the guy collecting the planes if you want. They would like someone who is willing to spend some time hanging out at the plane talking about their ownership experience.

C150 taildraggers with the swept tail can be a handful. Be prepared to use differential braking when you run out of rudder.

C150 taildraggers with the swept tail can be a handful. Be prepared to use differential braking when you run out of rudder.
They're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Just have to be very "positive" on the rudder and there's no such thing as over controlling. I've got about 70 hours in a Bolen 172TW and 50 hours in a Texas Taildragger 172TW both with swept tails. They do okay - better than some purpose built taildraggers in X-wind.
17835044_10212147511591345_4117401473690123397_o.jpg

Not using 40 degrees of flap helps rudder authority a lot on those.

But then, with more than 15 knots of wind, I could pretty much land into the wind with 40 degrees of flaps in my Horton/Bolen 150.

The real disadvantage to the 150 conversions is the short main gear...not good for tail wheel transitions, IMO, because the full stall attitude on landing is so much higher than the 3-point attitude. IIRC, you can put 140 main gear on a Texas Taildragger conversion, but not on the Bolen.

Back