Tailwheel PPL training near Akron, Ohio

bora

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bora.z
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start flight training this summer when college lets out around the end of April/ start of May. I'm looking for an instructor/school with a tailwheel aircraft because my friend has a J-3 kitten which I'd like to fly once I get my certificate. I am under the impression that this would save me some money rather than spending extra after I get my cert to get the endorsement. I live near 1G5, but I am willing to commute a reasonable distance.

I hate to say it, but it would probably be faster and cheaper to just do the taildragger transition AFTER you get your private. Taildragger instruction is hard to come by and finding one that will let you fly it solo is probably even rarer these days. Our club had a pair of taildraggers back ten years ago or so and getting them insured was getting tougher and tougher.

I agree with Ron. I can think of only one tailwheel primary school here in Wisconsin, although there are many places where you can get the endorsement after you have your private certificate. I did mine in one day at Cadillac, Michigan in a J-3.

Where I work now, only the chief pilot does tailwheel instruction, and you can't solo his airplane... it's a Stearman.

I hate to say it, but it would probably be faster and cheaper to just do the taildragger transition AFTER you get your private. Taildragger instruction is hard to come by and finding one that will let you fly it solo is probably even rarer these days. Our club had a pair of taildraggers back ten years ago or so and getting them insured was getting tougher and tougher.
I agree with Ron. I can think of only one tailwheel primary school here in Wisconsin, although there are many places where you can get the endorsement after you have your private certificate. I did mine in one day at Cadillac, Michigan in a J-3.

Where I work now, only the chief pilot does tailwheel instruction, and you can't solo his airplane... it's a Stearman.
Sounds good. I'll just do it after. Thanks.

If your instructor has a tailwheel endorsement, even if you get the training in a trike, you'll probably be taught the same fundamentals.

Try Bill See, he operates a school and has Aeronca Champs. He is down in Centerburg ohio.

Laurel Aviation at KLBE has a Stinson. But that might be a bit of a haul for you if you're looking for primary flight training.

Back