Tailwheel Insurance

GPD151

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Donivan Godsil
Hey All-

I've been with US Speciality for going on 3 years now. I have over 100hrs in my 1965 Citabria 7ECA, and my partner has well over 100 hours in it also. Our annual premium is $1500/year.

Two caveats... He is under 20 (17) and has not taken his checkride yet. Understanding until he takes/passes the checkride they cannot forecast what the rates would be, I have been told that until he is over 20 years old, to expect a high premium.

I'm sitting at over 200TT, with just high performance and tailwheel on with my SEL.

Avemco wanted $2145 to insure us both, and $1200 just for me. AOPA was 2nd, but still $1700 for both.

Neither of us have any accidents/incidents/talking to by the feds, and no claims, and the aircraft is hangared.

Am I missing something? I do belong to the EAA, VAA, and AAA, just figured a 100hp bird with relatively low time would get me under a grand/year for premiums.

The hope, when the weather breaks, is that the partner gets his checkride knocked out before the annual premium is due, however, they can't predict weather/get things scheduled any better than anyone else.

I should note that this is for the 100/300/100 with 5000 medical/pp policy, full coverage with a hull value of $40,000.

Thanks!!

You have two low time pilots. One is very young. You also have two low time tailwheel pilots. All of those things are additive.

Here's how I'd guess your insurance works (and I'm pulling the numbers from my derriere):

Not in motion insurance: $300
Insurance for Pilot 1: $300 + $400 TW premium.
Insurance for Pilot 2: $500 + $500 TW premium.

Your overall premium will drop by >1/3 as the two of you add experience.

You might try Bill White insurance. He specializes in skywagons so I'm guessing he knows the taildragger game pretty well.

Just Google Bill White Insurance.

Getting the PPL should drop your friends rate quite a bit. I get a small discount for instrument rating and closed hangar. In general, I think tail wheel insurance is somewhat high.

Hey All-

I've been with US Speciality for going on 3 years now. I have over 100hrs in my 1965 Citabria 7ECA, and my partner has well over 100 hours in it also. Our annual premium is $1500/year.

Two caveats... He is under 20 (17) and has not taken his checkride yet. Understanding until he takes/passes the checkride they cannot forecast what the rates would be, I have been told that until he is over 20 years old, to expect a high premium.

I'm sitting at over 200TT, with just high performance and tailwheel on with my SEL.

Avemco wanted $2145 to insure us both, and $1200 just for me. AOPA was 2nd, but still $1700 for both.

Neither of us have any accidents/incidents/talking to by the feds, and no claims, and the aircraft is hangared.

Am I missing something? I do belong to the EAA, VAA, and AAA, just figured a 100hp bird with relatively low time would get me under a grand/year for premiums.

The hope, when the weather breaks, is that the partner gets his checkride knocked out before the annual premium is due, however, they can't predict weather/get things scheduled any better than anyone else.

I should note that this is for the 100/300/100 with 5000 medical/pp policy, full coverage with a hull value of $40,000.

Thanks!!

Stephanie Stevenson got me setup for my maule for about $900 if simply dividing my hull value by yours can give any kind of indication. Worth a call anyway.

https://www.aviationsolutionsllc.com/about-us/meet-the-team/

100hrs tailwheel isn't too bad, having a sub 20 year old student pilot doesn't help though.

What are you insuring your hull to?

I have been with the Falcon Insurance office in San Antonio for several years. We were put with them by USAA. They have EAA and AOPA discounts.

At one time I had 3 partners in the 7ECA, one was low time and the max annual premium was ~$800.

I now am the sole owner and my annual premium for business and pleasure is $750. I have a rider on the policy for dual instruction, private pilot or better which raises the premium to $1150.

Google Falcon Insurance San Antonio.

global through falcon ask for conrad champ guy in sw fl

Tailwheel insurance is high. When I bought my Luscombe I was a 500TT, 12hr tailwheel pilot with an instrument and commercial. With 24k on the hull value I paid $950

When I renewed this year I was at 1000hrs, 120 tw. And 100 in type. Plus I became a CFI. It came down to $500. This was through a local broker

Back