Tailwheel instruction recommendations

FuzyTech

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fuzytech
Looking for recommendations on tailwheel instruction/endorsement. I've never flown a tailwheel before and I'm only about a 140hr PPL. Looking locally in either the SoCal or Phoenix area. I've been looking around and see that some provide the training in C170 and others in Cubs or Supercubs. Any thoughts on which would be better or advantages vs disadvantages on the initial training?

Chandler Air had a good reputation out there for a while. It's been over a decade since I did an aircraft checkout with one of their tailwheel guys, but if their standards and experience level for instructors have held up, they'd be a good choice.

Chandler Air had a good reputation out there for a while. It's been over a decade since I did an aircraft checkout with one of their tailwheel guys, but if their standards and experience level for instructors have held up, they'd be a good choice.
I flew an aerobatic course with them in late 2017. I was very happy with everything including how they worked to set up a course to fit my schedule. Plus, their tailwheel planes (Super Cub and Great Lakes) park right in front of the restaurant. http://aerobatics.com/

How tall are you? Depending on your personal body proportions, many of the "classic" tailwheel aircraft simply do not fit taller folks. I'm (a mere) 6'1", but all legs, many of the tandem birds, for me, are miserable to sit in, let alone safely operate rudder pedals. You can only really determine this by trying on whatever aircraft you may be looking at. As they say, YMMV.

How tall are you? Depending on your personal body proportions, many of the "classic" tailwheel aircraft simply do not fit taller folks. I'm (a mere) 6'1", but all legs, many of the tandem birds, for me, are miserable to sit in, let alone safely operate rudder pedals. You can only really determine this by trying on whatever aircraft you may be looking at. As they say, YMMV.
I'm average height & weight. 5'11" 190lbs. No issues with fitting into stuff but that's a good consideration to keep in mind.

There is a place, IIRC in OK, that does training in J-3 or Stearman using the WWII USAAC syllabus.

Do you have access to a tailwheel airplane...planning to purchase one ?

Personally, I think sitting on the aircraft centerline makes it easier.

I don't currently have access to a tailwheel but I've thought about getting something simple to "play around" in... I guess the thought is to get the training and see if I enjoy it first but I want to have a good experience. I'm local to KIPL and we don't have any tailwheel training nearby that I'm aware of which is why I'm looking elsewhere. Most of my time is in a 172 so the 170 appeals to me. Currently I'm flying a Cherokee 180 and soon we'll have a 182 in our group.

I've looked at Chandler Air mainly because they seem to offer a lot in that area and I have family in Chandler so it would be pretty easy to stay out there for a week or so. Just figured I'd ask the group to see what recommendations came of it. I appreciate everyone's input.

Personally, I think sitting on the aircraft centerline makes it easier.
It is probably a little bit easier, but I didn't struggle much, if at all, with sitting off centerline when I transitioned from Cubs and Champs to the RV-14.

I did several hours of spin training (combined with tailwheel training) with CP Aviation in Santa Paula. They have Citabria, Decathlon. Highly recommended.

I haven't done their tailwheel or aerobatics stuff, but I did a few hours of training at Chandler Air a few years ago, and it was a good experience -- I'd recommend them.

I don't currently have access to a tailwheel but I've thought about getting something simple to "play around" in... Most of my time is in a 172 so the 170 appeals to me. Currently I'm flying a Cherokee 180 and soon we'll have a 182 in our group.

In that case, definitely do it in a Cub for the new experience. A 170 is just a 172 with the little wheel at the correct end, a Cub is a whole 'nother kind of flying. But warning, the 172 and Cherokee may seem a little boring afterwards...

You will love the 170. Classy with just enough challenge to be fun. Join the Intl C170 club, make some connections, and opportunities to buy a club members plane will surface. There is a list of 170 CFIs on our forum that are willing to do a checkout/endorsement for you.

29195246-C30F-4659-9E71-E8E85A59C5B7.jpeg

I own a flight school in the Phoenix area (P19). We do tailwheel and basic acro in a Decathlon. It's currently in SoCal getting painted but should be back in a few weeks.

Pacific Coast Flyers has a Citabria in Oceanside. If you are on the North Side of San Diego, the Club is worth a look. They don’t typically do the one week zero to sign off thing, but I finished up my endorsement while I was spending a month in the area through a one-month membership (I joined and cancelled my membership at the end of the month). The Citabria is a great plane and Vic is a great instructor.

I own a flight school in the Phoenix area (P19). We do tailwheel and basic acro in a Decathlon. It's currently in SoCal getting painted but should be back in a few weeks.
Glad to hear your Decathlon is coming home soon. OP: Talk to @Z06_Mir. I think you'll get more pattern work per flight hour basing out of P19 and she and the rest of her crew are great folks.

You will love the 170. Classy with just enough challenge to be fun. Join the Intl C170 club, make some connections, and opportunities to buy a club members plane will surface. There is a list of 170 CFIs on our forum that are willing to do a checkout/endorsement for you.

View attachment 115684
Wow, she's purdy! Something about those 170s that catch my eye.

I use to work down the street from Stellar, would you mind sending me a PM with costs? I'm in no hurry but I do have family in Chandler so I frequent the area.

Glad to hear your Decathlon is coming home soon. OP: Talk to @Z06_Mir. I think you'll get more pattern work per flight hour basing out of P19 and she and the rest of her crew are great folks.

Thanks, Ari!

Back